Due to several comments/requests from swappers not wishing to wait until Boom 11 ends to start another, I’m going to try something new: Boom 12 “Short & Sweet”, a new FOUR WEEK Boom, will run concurrently with Boom 11 IF ENOUGH PEOPLE SIGN UP. You will have 4 weeks to stitch completed blocks for your fellow group members from the fabric they provide. I will keep the group size to an easily manageable 16. Just like Boom 11, all fabric pieces and completed blocks will be sent to me for distribution to other members and tracking will be required on all packages. ALL SKILL LEVELS ARE WELCOME however due to the time constraints for this experimental FOUR WEEK group, this swap will only be open to US residents. Most of the other rules from Boom 11 remain in force, including use of FAT Eighths ONLY, not Eighths, proper preparation of all fabrics, participation on the dedicated “Short & Sweet” board, proper packaging of fabrics and completed blocks, etc. Details follow below but anyone who has participated in a Boom before knows the basics.
I will keep Sign-Ups open until we have 16 people, hopefully just a couple of weeks. If there is a large response, I may add additional groups. If there is insufficient response, I’ll discuss it with those who have signed up and go from there.
In general, this is how the Boom works: You will receive a list of Board Names of those in your group. You choose a fabric and prepare it and send it to me. You need one Fat Eighth (18” x 11”) for each member. (Do not use Eighths (9” x 22”) instead of F8s.) Send all F8s to me along with any special requests for your fabric. I will distribute them to the other members. You stitch a block for each member out of the F8 you receive from them. When you have finished ALL blocks, you ship them to me and I will again sort them and return the completed blocks to everyone.
Please make sure to also refer to the basic policies that apply to all swaps through the board: RULES FOR SWAPS AND SIMILAR ACTIVITIES - Updated 8 December 2010
Fabric, Completed Block and Package Preparation:
1) Please pre-wash your Fat Eighth (F8) fabric before cutting into Fat Eighths by de-selvaging, pre-washing and pressing. Cut your fabric into Fat Eighths, generally 18” x 11” or as small as 18”x 10 ½”, depending upon shrinkage. Mail them to me. (Also, be certain that the fabrics you plan to use to complete blocks have been pre-washed as well.)
2) When mailing your F8s to me for distribution, please make sure they are individually sealed in a Ziploc bag or tightly wrapped in Saran Wrap. Label each F8 with your board name along with any instructions or color requests. Peel-off labels are useful to help the recipient prevent fabric mix-ups, something that’s easy to do. Please seal and label your completed blocks in the same manner as you did the F8s before mailing them ALL back to me for distribution.
3) Please mail your F8s to me within 2 weeks of the start of the swap, date to be determined later. The sooner you get them to me, the sooner they go out! Be sure to send me the tracking number as soon as you mail.
4) Carefully handle all fabric received and completed blocks, placing them somewhere safe until mailing time comes.
5) To help keep track of the fabrics and blocks made, I will email a chart to everyone to complete as you go and I will establish an online Fabric Gallery if you send me pix of your F8 fabric.
6) Please keep in touch with your group members by posting to the dedicated Short & Sweet thread.
7) All blocks must be completed within the time frame for the group and mailed to me with a tracking number.
8) All blocks should be 12 1/2” unfinished. They may be regularly pieced, paper-pieced, appliquéd, whatever the block maker decides to do. It is up to each individual. Again, the feeling is to get a true friendship quilt out of this. Please do not request specific blocks as the idea is to let everyone, of every skill level, join in and try new things and grow. Before mailing, be sure to clean up the blocks by trimming your threads and cutting the dog ears.
9) Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
IMPORTANT SHIPPING DETAILS
You must supply me with tracking numbers on all parcels sent to me and I will do likewise when I mail to you. All shipping costs are your responsibility. You may ship to me in whatever tracked package you like, however I will ONLY ship to you in USPS Padded Priority Envelopes. The cost is $6 per package. You may supply me with a pre-paid or pre-stamped USPS Padded Priority Envelope (available for free at USPS.com) or send me $6 in well-concealed cash and I will supply the envelope, whatever is easier for you.
Keep in mind the following:
All swap participants MUST be in good standing with previous swaps. ANYONE with a poor track record of fulfilling their swap commitments will not be permitted to join.
PLEASE do not send fabrics or blocks with perfume or overwhelming fragrances on them due to allergies. There are swap members or family members who have severe allergies to certain things so please try your best to not send anything that could cause an allergic reaction. Also, keep in mind that some swappers may be smokers or have pets. If this is a problem for you, this will not be the swap for you.
NO public complaints or criticisms of other swappers, items received or other type for any reason are permitted. ALL complaints must be addressed by Private Message (PM) or email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. NO EXCEPTIONS!
If I haven’t lost you yet, sign up!
To join Boom 12 “Short & Sweet” please EMAIL me with BOOM 12 in the subject line at email@example.com (note: BELLSOUTH.NET!!!) with the following info:
Have you participated in other Boomerang Swaps? Yes/No
If yes, what was your last Boom?
Have you fulfilled all your swap/exchange obligations on this board in the past?
*Board name will be given to your fellow group members at the start of the swap. No other info will be shared.
Thank you for your interest in Boom 12!