Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 13 "FOUR LEAF CLOVER" 4 Month Group >

Boom 13 "FOUR LEAF CLOVER" 4 Month Group

Boom 13 "FOUR LEAF CLOVER" 4 Month Group

Old 10-21-2014, 09:11 AM

I have been lurking since I found this thread. I had never heard of a "boom" swap before this. I am intrigued by the "designing" aspect of this type of swap. Really hoping to participate in this next time.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:14 AM

Oh and if I do participate I have a perfect fabric in mind in my stash. One that I love but haven't been able to figure out what to do w/ it.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:57 AM

Kassundra, go to the very first post here and look over the general rules. It can seem a bit intimidating (at least the admin, fabric prep and mailing part can be) or so I've been told, but as long as you can have basic piecing skills, can follow instructions, can sew a pretty straight 1/4 inch seam, can use a squaring ruler, and are willing to give it the old college try, you will be successful!

One of the most important things is to have a clear idea of what you want from your fabric and the fellow members. You have the option of specifying that only certain colors be used with your fabric (or not used) or you can let each person go with whatever moves them. There will, of course, be a degree of artistic license even when specifying colors, so you've got to be prepared for that. (Your idea of "teal green" or "pink" may differ from the next person's.) It's a great opportunity to showcase your skills, play with fabric you might not select for yourself, expand your skill set a bit, encourage someone else and make new quilty friends.

We're just finishing up this round so it will be at least a couple of weeks before the next sign-up so you have plenty of time to think about what you want from the boom. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected] or you can ask your question here. Someone will chime in to help. I look forward to having another new person in the next swap!

Janice McC

Last edited by Janice McC; 10-21-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:29 PM

Three more done and one to finish - Photos posted on my page for Moonrise - Jaba - KatsKidinWI.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I have been lurking since I found this thread. I had never heard of a "boom" swap before this. I am intrigued by the "designing" aspect of this type of swap. Really hoping to participate in this next time.
Kassaundra,
This was my first time I was so worried about it but I am so glad I did it and I will play again. My only advice is to be open in what you are looking for and think of it as a way to personally challenge yourself. The fabric you get the owner may ask for green only it's very difficult sometimes to not use that perfect pink. When you send yours out wanting only green thinking everyone is going to find the same shade you found to be perfect.............well no you will get a beautiful variety of greens in some awesome blocks the challenge to me is to put them all together into something beautiful. Having an open mind in what your final product will look like will go a long way in keeping you from being disappointed.

I hope you decide to play too.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Kassaundra,
This was my first time I was so worried about it but I am so glad I did it and I will play again. My only advice is to be open in what you are looking for and think of it as a way to personally challenge yourself. The fabric you get the owner may ask for green only it's very difficult sometimes to not use that perfect pink. When you send yours out wanting only green thinking everyone is going to find the same shade you found to be perfect.............well no you will get a beautiful variety of greens in some awesome blocks the challenge to me is to put them all together into something beautiful. Having an open mind in what your final product will look like will go a long way in keeping you from being disappointed.

I hope you decide to play too.
I love variety. I have always said the world has rose garden lovers and wild flower garden lovers. Both beautiful in their own right, but I am definitely in the wild flower garden camp.

I am currently in a swap where I am making the same block X 12, this swap caught my imagination, different blocks, colors, fabrics, designs, .... Oh my lol
Old 10-22-2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
Kassundra, go to the very first post here and look over the general rules. It can seem a bit intimidating (at least the admin, fabric prep and mailing part can be) or so I've been told, but as long as you can have basic piecing skills, can follow instructions, can sew a pretty straight 1/4 inch seam, can use a squaring ruler, and are willing to give it the old college try, you will be successful!

One of the most important things is to have a clear idea of what you want from your fabric and the fellow members. You have the option of specifying that only certain colors be used with your fabric (or not used) or you can let each person go with whatever moves them. There will, of course, be a degree of artistic license even when specifying colors, so you've got to be prepared for that. (Your idea of "teal green" or "pink" may differ from the next person's.) It's a great opportunity to showcase your skills, play with fabric you might not select for yourself, expand your skill set a bit, encourage someone else and make new quilty friends.

We're just finishing up this round so it will be at least a couple of weeks before the next sign-up so you have plenty of time to think about what you want from the boom. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected] or you can ask your question here. Someone will chime in to help. I look forward to having another new person in the next swap!

Janice McC
Oh I had already read the instructions long before posting, paged through all of this boom and a few others, getting an idea if I really wanted to do it before ever posting.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:35 AM

The most fun of this swap I feel is getting to make new and different blocks for a variety of people. Sure you will get some that are not "perfect", not the color you were expecting etc..but I enjoy the making of the blocks almost as much as getting to see what others have made. There are a LOT of excellent women in this swap who make wonderful blocks and have become part of my on line family. The shipping took a little getting use to but its worked out great! I usually only do the 2 months group because I cant stand waiting 4 months to get my blocks back and have to wait 4 months for another swap! LOL...Its a GREAT group to join and they are ALL very accepting of everyone! PLEASE consider joining!! Joan
Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
I usually only do the 2 months group because I cant stand waiting 4 months to get my blocks back and have to wait 4 months for another swap! LOL...Its a GREAT group to join and they are ALL very accepting of everyone! PLEASE consider joining!! Joan
Oh my god right.......the waiting is killing me, but it will be worth it I am not patient by nature......yet another thing I am learning with this swap :-)
Old 10-22-2014, 02:04 PM

You should definitely play. I have participated in several and am a better piecer because of it. I have stretched myself and made blocks I might not have otherwise tried because I didn't want to make or send the same block over and over and I didn't want to look lazy by always make the easy ones. Everyone on this board (this swap and others) is friendly and helpful. They answer questions freely and without judgment. I had one person call me on the phone and walk me thru a block that I just couldn't seem to get the hang of. Just jump in, it will be worth it. I promise.