Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 101 of 284 FirstFirst ... 51 91 100 101 102 111 151 201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2832

Thread: Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

  1. #1001
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn
    I am a little courious about how 18 blocks work into a quilt. Do we need to make extra blocks to fill in? Gwyn
    you could make a throw out of 18 blocks if you set them on point with some fill in square either solid or a pieced square. i think i have some stuff worked up in the software that i can post later.

    you can use the 18 alone to make a table runner.

    a lot of people are doing more than 1 set so they can make a larger project or because they just really want more blocks.

    you're welcome to do another set if you like just let me know which block you'd like to do.

  2. #1002
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamaskeeto
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    she hasn't posted yet about how she made such perfect circles.

    we're all awaiting her return - i'm sure the lurkers want to know too.
    Okay the circles were pretty easy to do. I traced the circle onto template plastic. After I cut the templates out I used an emery board to smooth the edges of the circle. I cut my fabric slightly larger than the template and did a running stitch around the edge of the fabric, put template in center of circle and pulled the stitches so fabric would wrap around the template. Tied the thread so fabric woulb be taut around template, pressed and startched the circle so it would hold its shape, removed the stitches and the template and used a tad of basting glue to hold edges down. Then I just appliqued it in place.
    Hubby thinks I'm crazy because I cut 12 of these circle templates and work on 12 circles at a time. I even used my template plastic to make a template of the block and cut out the circles so I could lay the block template on the background fabric and just pin on the circles that push the circles through the cut out and I'm ready to sew. Sounds crazy I know but it works for me and I don't have to measure each and every block for placement of the circles.

    i don't think you're crazy... YOU'RE BRILLIANT!!

    although there is a fine line between crazy and brilliant :wink:



  3. #1003
    cheriffic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    201
    Ok those are just like the diamonds I am doing.
    I will take photos tonight

    but you need very fine interfacing
    put a piece of fabric and a piece of interfacing right sides together.
    Take the template and place on the fabric side of the two. Now you can paper piece or or cut the true size dab a little glue stick and place on the fabric and sew all the way around the design ( you are sewing on the wrong side of the fabric). Take the template off trim as close as possible to the stitching as you can get away with. ( I use 1.2 stitch length for this it won't fray). Ok now on the interfacing side you are gonna cut an X in the interfacing. Because this is soooo small it will not turn easily so just make the X fold the interfacing out to turn the fabric to the right side facing you. Now fix any points and tuck remaining interfacing under the wrong side of fabric give a press and you are now ready to hand applique it to your block.

    I hope that is helpful and I will get some photos to show.
    Cher :wink:

  4. #1004
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,788
    Quote Originally Posted by cheriffic
    Ok those are just like the diamonds I am doing.
    I will take photos tonight

    but you need very fine interfacing
    put a piece of fabric and a piece of interfacing right sides together.
    Take the template and place on the fabric side of the two. Now you can paper piece or or cut the true size dab a little glue stick and place on the fabric and sew all the way around the design ( you are sewing on the wrong side of the fabric). Take the template off trim as close as possible to the stitching as you can get away with. ( I use 1.2 stitch length for this it won't fray). Ok now on the interfacing side you are gonna cut an X in the interfacing. Because this is soooo small it will not turn easily so just make the X fold the interfacing out to turn the fabric to the right side facing you. Now fix any points and tuck remaining interfacing under the wrong side of fabric give a press and you are now ready to hand applique it to your block.

    I hope that is helpful and I will get some photos to show.
    Cher :wink:
    i'm so excited, i can't wait to see them


  5. #1005
    Super Member NorBanaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    2,901
    Thanks Cher & Klue I'll give it a try.

  6. #1006
    cheriffic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    201
    Sorry Klue I was typing and working hadn't noticed you answered the J-9
    question already
    Cher

  7. #1007
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,262
    Blog Entries
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamaskeeto
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    she hasn't posted yet about how she made such perfect circles.

    we're all awaiting her return - i'm sure the lurkers want to know too.
    Okay the circles were pretty easy to do. I traced the circle onto template plastic. After I cut the templates out I used an emery board to smooth the edges of the circle. I cut my fabric slightly larger than the template and did a running stitch around the edge of the fabric, put template in center of circle and pulled the stitches so fabric would wrap around the template. Tied the thread so fabric woulb be taut around template, pressed and startched the circle so it would hold its shape, removed the stitches and the template and used a tad of basting glue to hold edges down. Then I just appliqued it in place.
    Hubby thinks I'm crazy because I cut 12 of these circle templates and work on 12 circles at a time. I even used my template plastic to make a template of the block and cut out the circles so I could lay the block template on the background fabric and just pin on the circles that push the circles through the cut out and I'm ready to sew. Sounds crazy I know but it works for me and I don't have to measure each and every block for placement of the circles.
    That is how I do the circles for my drunkard's path only I baste them to the background and sew them on with my sewing machine. I put a seam about 1/8" from the edge of the circle. These are yoyos or so I thought. I could be wrong but that was what I thought they are called.
    When I first started doing these this way I saw an article where some quilter used a penny to get the shape and size of a grape for what she was doing. I find washers (at least the ones I could find) and coins are too thick. I use a cardboard circle that I also use an emory board to sand down the edges. I tried using acrylic tempate plastic but I reuse mine alot and they tend to shrink abit from the heat of the iron. Cardboard works best for me.
    I also like to use these as the center of my Dresden Kaleidoscopes. They work great for alot of things.

  8. #1008
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,262
    Blog Entries
    48
    I posted my first directions for the Dear Jane Blocks. I offered to give my version of those blocks that I think I can redraft using my methods. Since I saw some discussion on the D11 block I looked at it again and it is the one I did first. I had looked at it and said no way but I did find a way.
    I am putting them on my thread Rhonda's Retreat if anyone is interested. I will be putting on blocks as I have time to do them between now and Jan.
    If anyone has questions as always I am here just ask. If anyone has one they would like me to take a look at just let me know and I will see what I can do. However I know there are ones that I can't do my way. I know Klue is available for the paper piecing. Everyone has their own way of doing things and I'm sure there are other ways to do these blocks. If I can help just let know!Thanks!

  9. #1009
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,788
    Quote Originally Posted by cheriffic
    Sorry Klue I was typing and working hadn't noticed you answered the J-9
    question already
    Cher
    the more people that answer the better

    i can't wait to see your pics.

    here's a tip i found today from the schoolhouse link about doing the "pillow style" applique........


    If you cut the fusible just a hair, like 1/16", smaller than the applique fabric piece, and match the edges when sewing, then the fusible will automatically be pulled to the wrong side when turned so no peeking!


    i'm going to give it a test run over the weekend - i'll let you know how it goes.


  10. #1010
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I posted my first directions for the Dear Jane Blocks. I offered to give my version of those blocks that I think I can redraft using my methods. Since I saw some discussion on the D11 block I looked at it again and it is the one I did first. I had looked at it and said no way but I did find a way.
    I am putting them on my thread Rhonda's Retreat if anyone is interested. I will be putting on blocks as I have time to do them between now and Jan.
    If anyone has questions as always I am here just ask. If anyone has one they would like me to take a look at just let me know and I will see what I can do. However I know there are ones that I can't do my way. I know Klue is available for the paper piecing. Everyone has their own way of doing things and I'm sure there are other ways to do these blocks. If I can help just let know!Thanks!
    rhonda

    your way of doing D11 is brilliant!!!

    everyone go run and look at the tute she put up.

    which ebook would people buy to best learn your cut down method and apply the technique to the Dear Jane blocks.

    i'm sure people in this swap, the sew along in Jan, and the lurkers would love to know and buy such a book to help them with the concepts being presented on your personal page and how it relates to jane.





Page 101 of 284 FirstFirst ... 51 91 100 101 102 111 151 201 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.