Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
January 2013 Doll Quilt Swap Sign Up >

January 2013 Doll Quilt Swap Sign Up

January 2013 Doll Quilt Swap Sign Up

Old 01-11-2013, 03:40 PM

Krystyna, you know I am a lover of applique so I find it easy - though the edge stitching takes a lot of time.
I did my first paper pieced item just recently because, like urgodschild, it confused me.

I made it through the piece which turned out pretty well so I may attempt another someday. I really only did this one because it is the center for the quilt that my hubby asked me to make for him 4 years ago. Now that the center is done, the quilt will be done shortly too.

I still stink at piecing curves and avoid them like the plague - applique is much easier for that.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 PM

OOOH OOOH OOOH, primitive DQ YES! Have just settled into our new home and miss the DQ swap alot! Since fair time ending last Sept, its been a whirlwind. We sold our farm to son and Dil, packed up 33 years of treasures, sorted them out as the "farmette" we purchased is a 1890 4 square farmhouse that is 1200 sq. feet smaller than the old 5 bedroom farm house. But our new farm is mortgage free(raising fist in the air), only 18 acres, has a small orchard and not a flower garden to be seen. I am buried in seed and nursey stock catalogs and sketching gardens as fast as my pencil will travel. My DDIL says help myself to perennials come spring. I am so excited, it is like painting on a new canvas.
Back to the DQ swap. I am anxiously awaiting Feb, my sewing room is not ready as the house is undergoing a complete face lift! However, I can haul my cutting board and machine down to the dining room, I even know the general area I have it stored in. So I will continue to stalk the board and oh and ah over everyones beautiful creations until Feb.
Krystyna, so sorry to hear about your frightening experience! You got moxie girl! Here is hoping and praying that 2013 is blessed for all.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 AM

Tulip - how exciting for you - mortgage free, blank canvas, and an interior face lift! Enjoy it we look forward to having you back in Feb
Old 01-12-2013, 10:21 AM

I love appliquing so maybe those who do that have trouble with the paper piecing?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by urgodschild2 View Post
I love appliquing so maybe those who do that have trouble with the paper piecing?
Took me quite a while to catch up on this thread! I didn't get in on this month's, but am waiting to see what fun can be had in February! I see that Krystyna's been promoting PPing...actually, I understand about the confusion of it...I attempted it many, many years ago and got sooo frustrated I said...bag this...HATE this method of quilting! I moved on the things I loved to do ...traditional, hand embroidery, applique (love lots of different methods of that), etc. After a couple of years I decided to give the PPing another go and walla! My brain decided to work and it's now a favorite method I use...and I still love applique!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 AM

I tried pp and could not figure it out. I just joined a quilt guild so maybe i can get help from one of the ladies there.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Swap Hosts

Oh, PP is so much fun. It makes quite a mess at times, but maybe that's part of the fun!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:07 AM

paper piecing and I am outta here. no paper piecing for le brat. hobbykat was so sweet lent me her carol d. video on how to do it. it was like a total ..huh? moment for me and I got so grumpy that I decided if someone could just stand here next to me giving me now do this directions I would be fine. Until then.. outta here.

I like up and coming or the interpretation therein. could mean up and coming fabric trends like I read today OWLS are just up and coming in some other countries the US has already done that trend.. so what is the up and coming fabric colors this year? or is it up and coming trees in bloom? flowers sprouting? warmer weather? (boy wouldnt that be lovely)... stripes not so much and primatives just wouldnt work for me.. so maybe idea here.. go with recipients request as an alternative as it has been.. ..or oh good one fairy tale.. build your block around a fairy tale.. could be say the frog price get a froggy quilt, the princess and the pea well that is fresh veggies right? or say hansel and gretel cookies? um little red riding hood.. could be forest could be wolves could be.. that one could go on and on in interpretations..

alrighty well I am here to get to real matters. I was so fortunate to find my quilt partner this month is DRAGONFLYNANA. she sent to me the prettiest tree of love doll quilt. and some pretty pretty fabric to go with it as a wonder bonus. I want to thank her for the extra time she put into whipping (ha) this one up and sewing all the lovely buttons on it. The timing couldnt have been better.. I had the flu felt like boodoogas and here there is this lovely package awaiting me. It brightened my day so thanks so very much I love it. My camera once again washed it out this is a much more vibrant pink/purple quilt than it shows. Paula if you took a better pic please post it for me![ATTACH=CONFIG]387832[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]387833[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387831[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dragonflynana-dq.jpg   dragonflynanas-fabrics-too.jpg   dragonflys-back.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM

That is a Beautiful dq. Love the colors!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:08 PM

Default DQ rec'd from Kitsykeel

Rec'd this lovely DQ...Love the technique which I've never done...So it's on my "to do list"...Thank you Kitsy just love it.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5933.jpg   100_5935.jpg