Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
July - October 2016 Wall Hanging Swap >

July - October 2016 Wall Hanging Swap

July - October 2016 Wall Hanging Swap

Old 09-26-2016, 05:17 AM

Was able to start my WH yesterday, in between cheer and costume design. It is a little smaller than what I usually do but I will be adding borders. I am going to stipple the white areas and feather the print areas. What do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails 20160926_055224-1.jpg  
Old 09-26-2016, 05:19 AM

And for anyone who watches Game of Thrones, here is the costume I created from remnents. Khalisee's desert outfit.
Attached Thumbnails 20160925_174143-1.jpg  
Old 09-26-2016, 02:57 PM

some beautiful quilts, wall hangings and even costumes! Everyone has been so busy!

Ube, I'm so sorry you had to experience that. I still make a sarcastic come back, but then I smile at the end ... leaves the person confused!

I can't NOT just leave it - it drives me bonkers. I won't start a verbal argument or anything, but I will always say something back. Recently, I've started adding "bless your heart" which I've learned is a southern saying, so way up north it takes people by surprise LOL

I was never bullied as a child, but I have always been one of "those" who stands up to a bully, and helps the "underdog" doesn't matter the reason. If I see someone getting picked on, someone being bullied, I will step in. I've done it thousands of times, and will keep doing it.

At the end of the day, I truly believe that there are 3 types of people: bullies, assertive-types, and total introverts / shy / or afraid. I have come to realize in my many years of being the assertive type, that the second I stand up to a bully, they back off. I've also had other people come to my "aid" (for lack of a better word). For example, many years ago, I was walking downtown and a man was slapping his partner (wife / g/f??), yelling at her, calling her names. I looked around - there were a number of people, some watching, but no one was interfering. I walked right up to him and said "HEY" you want to pick on someone? Pick me.

He was STUNNED. He started to yell and scream at me, and I just stood there. About 20 seconds later, there's at least 10 people standing around me, backing me up, someone went over to the woman, and a minute or two later the police arrived.

Yeah, I got told not to do that again by the police, but you know what? I'd do it again. I'm sure I didn't solve her problems, but I probably stopped a really good beating, and I was happy with that.

So, in my book, you could say something kind of sarcastic, then smile, and say bless your heart LOL

And then go home and eat snickers!
Old 09-26-2016, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

I love that line and I will keep it handy for the future. Thanks for that Marion and it is nice to see you back after a busy summer. I understand what you mean when you stand up for people in need. My DH ended up with a broken nose when he tried to stop a guy from running over his "GF". This was many years ago when he was in the USAF. He still steps up to the plate to help people.

JNCT, the costume is fantastic. I don't watch the show but would love this regardless of the show. I especially like the footsie socks. I don't go anywhere without them myself. A very pretty model you have too! Your WHing is really nice. Reminds me of a mandala.

I'm preparing my drinks now so I can watch the debates.
peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 09-26-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:08 PM

JNCT14, What she needs to complete the look is a blonde wig. Also, see if you can find her at least one, but hopefully 3, rubbery toy dragons. If you can find a way to have them sit on her shoulders, that would be awesome! Great job!
Old 09-26-2016, 06:28 PM

Hello to everyone. I've procrastinated with my wall hanging. I have the materials and I'm going to start working on it tomorrow. We leave for Florida next week and will be gone for a couple of weeks. I need to spend the next day or two making headway on my wall hanging. I'm telling you girls this in order to make myself more accountable. Hopefully I'll get it finished in time. Life is busy these days. I canned 22 quarts of tomatoes this past week. I spent yesterday breaking down gardens and putting away patio furniture, chimes, planters, and that sort of thing for the winter. I had to kill many flowers and plants that were gorgeous and thriving. I always hate to do that at the end of the summer, but it's that time of year. We're in New Hampshire and we fired up the pellet stove this morning. A flock of about 40 turkeys walked through my back yard yesterday, single-file. No kidding! I hear geese migrating overhead periodically. I love the fall.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

I love to see the turkeys walk in line. Have a good trip. Do you spend the winter in FL? Oh how I wish I could have a veggie garden I would have to build n 8"H fence. I enjoy hearing about all the things everyone does to fill their days. I have been wondering how the WHing was coming along. I understand.

peace
Old 09-27-2016, 12:43 PM

Heehee SewingSue, she bought the wig but the costume, sans wig, was $60!!! and badly made. So she called Mom, and Mom called me....the boyfriend will be the dragon (he is 6'6" and she is 5'2" so THAT ought to be interesting).
Kudos on the canned tomatoes! My tomatoes were very poor this year, due to the drought.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:10 PM

So here is what I have done so far. And you will see a photo of the inner border (black polka-dot), and the outer border (the violet fabric). Regarding the outer border, I have posted the wrong side of the fabric and the right side of the fabric. I think I'm going to use the wrong side of the fabric. Tell me your opinions please.
Working on this was not without aggravation. It was intricate work and I can't tell you how many times I pressed the eyeballs with the iron, only to lift up the iron and find that they had disappeared into thin air. I made many extra pair because of this. The fusible did not want to stick to the back because they were so small, and I had to glue them down. The plan is to embroider black French knots in them which will be helpful in making sure they don't fall off. If anyone notices that one of my flowers is missing a center, I've already taken care of it.
So the next thing to do is transfer this to the yellow background fabric, then sew the inner and outer borders on. After that I have to make a quilt sandwich and topstitch around everything, then bind it together. Oh yeah, I suppose I'll have to add a sleeve since it is a wall hanging.
Tomorrow I have to can the last of our tomatoes, and then prepare to leave for Florida. I won't return until the middle of October, but I should have plenty of time to finish my wall-hanging before the deadline. How is everybody else doing?
Attached Thumbnails img_20161002_230841.jpg   img_20161002_231045_kindlephoto-2848412.jpg  
Old 10-02-2016, 08:19 PM

Jnct14, Oddly enough I was supposed to make my daughter a Danaris Targarean costume last Halloween. I bought a McCall's pattern and I bought the blond wig. My grandson (who is 3 1/2) was supposed to be the dragon. I had the pattern for that as well. It would have been so cute. I love the idea of your Khalisee's dragon boyfriend. I'd love to see a photo of them together.