Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
October Secret Pal Sign Up Closes Sept 30th 4pm CDST >

October Secret Pal Sign Up Closes Sept 30th 4pm CDST

October Secret Pal Sign Up Closes Sept 30th 4pm CDST

Old 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM

I would love this. I do live in a cold country this time of year!!! Is it for me???

Originally Posted by SharonAnne View Post
I am trying to use up some of my many, many skeins of yarn. Currently, I am crocheting a very pretty hooded cowl - out of a honey, wheat color (neutral). Would any of you in cold country appreciate this in an SP package, or are quilted items more appropriate? I'm hoping my SP partner responds to this post...although it may have to be sent after the deadline. The rest of the package will be sent on time. Or, I could wait until November to see if I get another snowbird as an SP if I don't get it done timely.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:48 PM

Just popping in for the first time on this swap and I had 30 pages of messages to go through. Sorry to hear about the ones that are ill in some way and my prayers go out to you or your loved ones.

I so love the wreaths and the hooded cowl ... I would love to have both of them in my package.

My package will be going out in tomorrows mail. We have been partners before ... however I will not say if I had you or you had me. I will post more hints tomorrow when I get back from the mail.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 PM

Susan, agree with the communication thing. Talk to them about it and let them know its not like hell be running around, barking, swiping food off the tabel. also any accidents that may occur you will be more than glad to clean up. They need to realize that Meadow is no different than another member of the family needing a wheelchair or oxygen tank. Meadow is a necessary tool for your living. If they can not except that then I wouldnt go. If you dont go due to their not understanding then have a family meal at home. I know that if some of my husbands family wouldnt except a guide dog along with, saying I had one, then I would hope DH would tell them he would not be attending either.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 PM

Sad to say we have run into this same issue with our DD service dog. (1) You need to find out the reason for her not wanting the dog there, is it b/c of an allergy to dogs someone has?
(2) If not then you need to start out from the beginning with everyone understanding that your dog is now an extension of you, he is in fact 'your eyes'. If you don't stand your groud now there will always be an 'excuse' for them for you not to bring your SD. (3) if you have the support of your husband ask him to talk with them @ the situation. We always carried an short info page that we would had out to people who made comments, or smirks, we tried to educate them regarding SD. Maybe this is all the family needs, is an education of the way the SD benefits you, as your eyes. HTH LaQuita
Old 10-08-2012, 05:55 PM

was out shopping tonight for so many people on this board hahahah...two secret pals for October, secret Santa, two fq swaps and one birthday girl!
~Susan-stand your ground...no different than a wheel chair or hearing aid or oxygen tank.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the support..I'm standing my ground that's it!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by SEGASAL View Post
What do you all of you think?
Family is family and Meadow is family. My response would be "all or nothing" and I wouldn't (personally) be political about it at all. But then, I don't speak to 7/8 of the people I am related to (by blood OR by marriage) so my approach might not be in your best interest.

But aside from all that, if you say "ok" once, then other people may see that you are not as needful of Meadow as one "should" be on a guide dog. You obviously need her or she would be with someone else. So that fact alone should be sufficient reason to say, "no she's coming with me." And stand your ground. If they don't like it, I've heard the post office will let you mail gifts at Christmastime.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Missus Fear View Post
I would except I am already overextended with projects until spring probably. There was a time I used to make wrinkly and fat dolls with pantyhose though! It's fun because you can really sculpt some great expression into their faces with needle and thread.
Would love to see photos of your dolls. My DGD would love one (me, too). I've filed the color and yarn choice in memory banks in case I get you next month. Stranger things have happened!!

Last edited by SharonAnne; 10-08-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:55 PM

And, can I just say that I LOVE that my advice matched all of yours? That almost never happens! Woo for finally thinking like a grown-up!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 PM

segasal, stand your ground, you're worth it and so is Meadow. Just my humble opinion.
Sp your package is in your post office today so it should be at your front door tomorrow, hope you like my choices for you.