Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   2.5 Candy Birthday Swap - Closed/Full (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/2-5-candy-birthday-swap-closed-full-t212411.html)

barbarakibler23 02-17-2013 09:26 AM

oh man did I just see that Sheri just posted a new swap for MAY DAY? Gonna go check it out.
:)barb

JNCT14 02-18-2013 05:32 AM

OK yay me. I finally finished cutting out all 1500 squares, they are all packed in #10 envelopes along with the instructions and template for the 60 degree Braided Quilt pattern. So bring on the birthdays! I am ready to go.

BTW if anyone is looking for a hand project to do, hand piecing the half hexagons for the braided quilt is a good one. I cut an extra strip of 2.5" fabric as I was cutting the candy squares. Each strip yielded about 10 half hexagons. I marked the 1/4 inch seam allowance on the wrong side of each piece and I am now working on the braids. I figure that I will need 5 braids, so 50 half hexagons per braid plus the sashing should give me a decent size lap quilt. We have competition this weekend for the the cheerleaders and my mom will be in the hospital for a week so this is a good take along project.

Honchey 02-18-2013 06:50 AM

business size envelopes are considered first class mail..if the fabric & cardboad with the envelope weigh more that one ounce you have to pay for the extra weight...the thickness of the envelope has be within a certain size (I think it's .5") otherwise it won't go thru the machine that sorts the mail..AND it all depends on the clerk that is behind the counter taking care of you...I cut a piece of cereal box cardboard, placed 50 fabric pieces & the envelope on a digital scale and weighed it...it was over 1 oz...I did the same thing with another bundle of fabric (2.5"pieces)and it was under 1 oz..believe it or not..cardboard is heavy for it's size and the little bundles of "candy" are all different weights...I would eliminate the cardboard.

sew4nin 02-18-2013 07:28 AM

Do you think we need to worry about the envelope getting munched up in the machine w/ out the cardboard to stabilize it? I guess we will all be experts on what works and what doesn't after the year of birthdays:)

Originally Posted by Honchey (Post 5869784)
business size envelopes are considered first class mail..if the fabric & cardboad with the envelope weigh more that one ounce you have to pay for the extra weight...the thickness of the envelope has be within a certain size (I think it's .5") otherwise it won't go thru the machine that sorts the mail..AND it all depends on the clerk that is behind the counter taking care of you...I cut a piece of cereal box cardboard, placed 50 fabric pieces & the envelope on a digital scale and weighed it...it was over 1 oz...I did the same thing with another bundle of fabric (2.5"pieces)and it was under 1 oz..believe it or not..cardboard is heavy for it's size and the little bundles of "candy" are all different weights...I would eliminate the cardboard.

barbarakibler23 02-18-2013 03:41 PM

think I'm gonna need a picture for this ...please

Originally Posted by JNCT14 (Post 5869589)
OK yay me. I finally finished cutting out all 1500 squares, they are all packed in #10 envelopes along with the instructions and template for the 60 degree Braided Quilt pattern. So bring on the birthdays! I am ready to go.

BTW if anyone is looking for a hand project to do, hand piecing the half hexagons for the braided quilt is a good one. I cut an extra strip of 2.5" fabric as I was cutting the candy squares. Each strip yielded about 10 half hexagons. I marked the 1/4 inch seam allowance on the wrong side of each piece and I am now working on the braids. I figure that I will need 5 braids, so 50 half hexagons per braid plus the sashing should give me a decent size lap quilt. We have competition this weekend for the the cheerleaders and my mom will be in the hospital for a week so this is a good take along project.

barbarakibler23 02-18-2013 04:01 PM

Ready for contest 2????

here you go.............who am I?

It is Monday night, my daughter and I are watching our favorite show Bones when all of a sudden I hear barking. I put my embroidery down, get on my pink coat and grab the red and black leashes to take Simon and Darwin for a walk.

:D ok...PM me the answer and I will draw from the correct answers tomorrow at 9pm est.

Barb:thumbup:

barbarakibler23 02-18-2013 05:38 PM

just a hint..........look through the answers from the previous questions and you will find out who I am.....

JNCT14 02-19-2013 05:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Half Hexagons update - here is a picture of an almost completed braid along with some of the half hexagons. I threw all of them in a bag and I just grab randomly. As I said, I am hand piecing the braids - this one (50 half hexagons, about 47 inches long) was made literally in 2 days while either watching TV at night with the DH or at basketball game when my DD was cheerleading.

Honchey 02-19-2013 09:27 AM

Hi JNCT14, Oh I am so happy to see this braid technique...about 10 years ago I started doing english paper piecing making my own template from paper making the hexagon then cutting them in half...but never thought of doing them this way... I'm going to dig them out and reassemble them into strips...Oh Happy day!!!

JNCT14 02-19-2013 11:01 AM

Oh thats cool. I am guessing you might have a little more waste but since you already have the hexagons its a great reuse!
For everyone else, try cutting a few 2.5" strips when its close to your birthday so you can try the template and technique. They are wicked fun to make!