Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Batik Block Swap - Signups thru 2-15-13 - Due 2-28-13 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/batik-block-swap-signups-thru-2-15-13-due-2-28-13-a-t207263.html)

tracibug 11-29-2012 01:42 PM

Batik Block Swap - Signups thru 2-15-13 - Due 2-28-13

Batik Block Swap!

I love batiks and would love to see how others on the board like to use them. This is my first swap hosting on this board and I am excited by my experiences I have had participating in other swaps. The creativity in this group is INSPIRING!! Now on to business…

Block rules:

Blocks are to be made in sets of 6, one of which will be returned to you. No duplicate sets without prior permission, and sets must be of the same design, but the fabrics may vary.

You may make up to 8 sets of 6 blocks each for a total of 48 blocks. No duplicate sets without prior permission, and sets must be same design, but fabrics may vary.

Block sizes should be 10.5 inches, so if you make 48 blocks, your top would be at least 60 x 80.

All skill levels are invited to participate. Be sure to use quality 100% cotton fabrics & appropriate threads that will withstand repeated washings, and your fabrics MUST be pre-washed. ** If you’re using jellyrolls that won’t be pre-washed, please make a note of that on your block labels.

All block styles and methods are encouraged! Machine embroidery, hand embroidery, traditional pieced, paper pieced and both machine and hand appliqué (if you choose to do appliqué, you MUST sew your appliqué down by some method that looks appropriate and please do NOT use monofilament thread to do this). Please do your best work and make something that you would want to have, because you WILL be getting back a block of your own, so use colors and themes that you are proud to send in and will be happy to get back.

Make sure all blocks are labeled with your user name and real name if you wish, and that they have no holes or tears or have too small of seam allowances that would make them unfit to swap, and that they are the size they are supposed to be, in other words, 10 1/2 inches means 10 1/2 inches, not 10 3/8 inches, etc.

Signups will be opened until Feb 15, 2013, blocks need to be completed and to me by Feb 28, 2013. Blocks received after that date will be returned to you unswapped. I will swap them out and get them back in the mail to you by the following week.
Please PM me to sign up and give me an idea of the number of block sets you will be making and sending in. If you’d like to include what colors you will be using, I will post that as well.

Mailing and postage:

Please put your blocks in a gallon size ziploc bag for shipping and put your name and address on the bag. This will protect your hard work in case the mailman leaves a package outside and will get your items back to you in the event of a mailer malfunction.
Please also include a self-addressed label along with a $6 money order or well concealed cash to cover return postage to you. These will be sent priority mail with delivery confirmation. If proper postage is not sent, your package will wait until it is received.

In addition to the above, please follow all the basic rules, found here. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-20154-1.htm

Questions? Suggestions? Problems?

PM me any time

tracibug 11-29-2012 04:38 PM

And to answer a few questions that I had not:

10.5" is the unfinished size.

Please be sure to trim all salvages from your fabrics before sewing.

Postage: you may also include a $6.00 in postage or combination of postage/cash, if you'd prefer.

Mariposa 11-30-2012 07:19 AM

I love batiks! :)

tracibug 11-30-2012 08:51 AM

Me too... I'm going to see a lady that closed her quilt shop and is selling the rest of her stock for $4-5 a yard, including batiks... Want me to get some for you?? :cool:

Mariposa 11-30-2012 10:05 AM

Such temptation! ;)

tracibug 11-30-2012 11:33 AM

I'll send you pics so you can see what she's got. She says she has hundreds of bolts....

jclinganrey 11-30-2012 03:24 PM

Traci - - -

I'd love to participate!!! I have tons of batiks just ready to be put into quilt blocks. So exciting!

Will send you a PM.

Thanks for a great opportunity!

Jane

tracibug 11-30-2012 03:41 PM

Yay!!

So happy to have you!! My batik collection is itching to be used as well!! Or added to... tehe

Traci

Originally Posted by jclinganrey (Post 5690282)
Traci - - -

I'd love to participate!!! I have tons of batiks just ready to be put into quilt blocks. So exciting!

Will send you a PM.

Thanks for a great opportunity!

Jane

jclinganrey 12-02-2012 12:21 PM

Traci - --

Quick question: May we use a solid as a background i.e., Kona black or do you want the entire quilt block from batiks?

Thanks & looking forward to this swap!

Jane

tracibug 12-02-2012 11:24 PM

Hi Jane-

The entire block should be batiks...

Traci

Originally Posted by jclinganrey (Post 5693905)
Traci - --

Quick question: May we use a solid as a background i.e., Kona black or do you want the entire quilt block from batiks?

Thanks & looking forward to this swap!

Jane