Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Boomerang Friendship Swap 10.0-CELAENO Group (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/boomerang-friendship-swap-10-0-celaeno-group-t225488.html)

awilson 08-06-2013 06:00 PM

[QUOTE=Jupiter;6219322]You might want to check around, maybe on the internet. Most sewing machines have a "quarter inch" presser foot available. It has a hanging down blade that you line your fabric up to, so it aligns your needle for a perfect 1/4". I have bought them for both of my sewing machines. Another foot that is very helpful to me is the "stitch in the ditch" foot, which really works nice to keep you stitches in the ditch, not allowing them to jump up to the other side of the seam. I may not have explained that very well.... so go look up 'Stitch in the Ditch" foot, and "Quarter Inch" foot. those will make your quilt making a lot more fun and easy.

I hope that helps some.
Jupiter[/QUOTE I bought a stitch in the ditch foot but it didn't seem to work very well and my machine made a weird noise:) i ended up buying it on amazon, so this could be the problem. I am hoping the DH gets me a new sewing machine for my bday in a couple of weeks so ill have to check to see if the 1/4 in foot is included. If not I will def. be asking for this too:) Thank you so much! I seriously learn so much on this forum. More than I've ever learned at any LQS class or ever really.. Usually when I walk into a LQS they see that I am younger than the average quilter and think I am completely stupid. I once had a question about appliqué on my machine so I asked about a class. The lady told me that I needed to take the beginning sewing class first and that class was full. I saw the list. It wasn't full. And I didn't want to pay for two classes! I've actually been quilting on and off for over ten years now, but still feel like a beginner because no one has been able to teach me beyond the basics. But then six months ago I found you guys! And my skills have improved more in six months than the last ten years on and off. So thank you all!! I appreciate you:)

ahwu 08-06-2013 06:12 PM

One grown up block is going home to Ljdugas.
Over the weekend I received three lovely blocks from: Awilson, Libster and Ljdugas. I will post pictures soon.
Missing F8 from country1 and atpegsquiltstudio.

annt59 08-07-2013 08:33 AM

I have posted pictures of my blocks, both sent and received.

Country1 08-08-2013 03:33 AM

Yes mine went out on Monday. Sorry they got out late. I know I usually get them out early. Dh had surgery, my Mom is in the hospital, and I am on my 2nd round of antibiotics. Once again, I'm sorry they got out late!
Penny

marcialee 08-08-2013 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter (Post 6219322)
You might want to check around, maybe on the internet. Most sewing machines have a "quarter inch" presser foot available. It has a hanging down blade that you line your fabric up to, so it aligns your needle for a perfect 1/4". I have bought them for both of my sewing machines. Another foot that is very helpful to me is the "stitch in the ditch" foot, which really works nice to keep you stitches in the ditch, not allowing them to jump up to the other side of the seam. I may not have explained that very well.... so go look up 'Stitch in the Ditch" foot, and "Quarter Inch" foot. those will make your quilt making a lot more fun and easy.

I hope that helps some.
Jupiter

I use a 1/4" foot and it doesn't matter what foot you use with paper piecing. You just stitch the lines. I have made hundreds of quilters cache patterns and this is the first time this happen to me.

Libster 08-08-2013 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by marcialee (Post 6221866)
I use a 1/4" foot and it doesn't matter what foot you use with paper piecing. You just stitch the lines. I have made hundreds of quilters cache patterns and this is the first time this happen to me.

It could be that your printer didn't print the pattern to scale. I've had that happen to me before. Now, I always check that little scale before I start sewing anything.

Jupiter 08-08-2013 10:38 AM

Most of the time, I think you are better off to buy the foot from the manufacturer of your machine. There are probably good 'after-market' feet available, but if you get it from the guys who made your machine, then it stands to reason that it will fit it and act right. Sorry your experience with the stitch in ditch foot wasn't good.

This is a good site to get help and ideas from.

hugs, Jupiter

[QUOTE=awilson;6219529]

Originally Posted by Jupiter (Post 6219322)
You might want to check around, maybe on the internet. Most sewing machines have a "quarter inch" presser foot available. It has a hanging down blade that you line your fabric up to, so it aligns your needle for a perfect 1/4". I have bought them for both of my sewing machines. Another foot that is very helpful to me is the "stitch in the ditch" foot, which really works nice to keep you stitches in the ditch, not allowing them to jump up to the other side of the seam. I may not have explained that very well.... so go look up 'Stitch in the Ditch" foot, and "Quarter Inch" foot. those will make your quilt making a lot more fun and easy.

I hope that helps some.
Jupiter[/QUOTE I bought a stitch in the ditch foot but it didn't seem to work very well and my machine made a weird noise:) i ended up buying it on amazon, so this could be the problem. I am hoping the DH gets me a new sewing machine for my bday in a couple of weeks so ill have to check to see if the 1/4 in foot is included. If not I will def. be asking for this too:) Thank you so much! I seriously learn so much on this forum. More than I've ever learned at any LQS class or ever really.. Usually when I walk into a LQS they see that I am younger than the average quilter and think I am completely stupid. I once had a question about appliqué on my machine so I asked about a class. The lady told me that I needed to take the beginning sewing class first and that class was full. I saw the list. It wasn't full. And I didn't want to pay for two classes! I've actually been quilting on and off for over ten years now, but still feel like a beginner because no one has been able to teach me beyond the basics. But then six months ago I found you guys! And my skills have improved more in six months than the last ten years on and off. So thank you all!! I appreciate you:)

Country1 08-08-2013 11:53 AM

I also cleared so of my PMs, so if you need to PM me you should be able to now. Sorry for the inconvience. Thank you for letting me know.

Country1 08-08-2013 12:03 PM

I also cleared some of my PMs, so if you need to PM me you should be able to now. Sorry for the inconvience. Thank you for letting me know.

bibliostone 08-08-2013 12:38 PM

The last of my blocks went out this afternoon so everyone should have their block soon!