Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Civil War Block swap - One, Two Three (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/civil-war-block-swap-one-two-three-t195372.html)

Deb watkins 07-31-2012 04:40 AM

I have found when using blocks from Quilterscache, that you absolutely MUST do the dreaded scant 1/4 inch. It simply means moving your needle a few stitches to the right. My Janome has a default setting of 3.5. I move my needle to 4.2. Snaggged another one! MissFay is on board as well. Plenty of time to sign up (till Sept 9) and blocks are not due till Oct 20. Even if you only make one block at a time - you still have over two months to finish 12 blocks.

jillnjo 07-31-2012 05:26 AM

Frustrated, I love both of your blocks!! Yes, it's maddening to come up a tiny bit short. I work with them if it's for me, but really want my swap blocks to be on target! You are right about making one and getting a feel for how it sews up before doing them all.

oksewglad 07-31-2012 05:49 AM

Great colors in your blocks, Frustrated. Hope I get at least one of them!

Deb watkins 07-31-2012 05:58 AM

Island is having trouble with the blocks coming out to unfinished 12.5. I can't stress enough that with QC blocks, you have to move your needle to the right for the scant 1/4 seam. And depending on your machine - it may be a bit more than scant. Even though I use the 1/4 foot, I use the metal edge more for fabric guide, and move the needle. I hate to see you bugger up good fabric - try on some 'scrap' ...... it will be worth the effort....your blocks will come out right every time when you get the setting right.

SheriR 07-31-2012 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 5408001)
Great colors in your blocks, Frustrated. Hope I get at least one of them!

I think that when I see all the blocks and end up making more than one set hoping to get the variety.

Deb watkins 07-31-2012 12:31 PM

Making more than one set is a good way to ensure a real mix of the blocks......not that I an an enabler or nothing like that!

SheriR 07-31-2012 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins (Post 5408871)
Making more than one set is a good way to ensure a real mix of the blocks......not that I an an enabler or nothing like that!

Ya... You know me though. I jump right in and sew sew sew.

QuilterMomma 07-31-2012 03:19 PM

So then we can make two sets, and SheriR is the first to go so far and do that? Am I reading this right? You are already done with your first set SheriR, and they thought I was OCD.

Annaquilts 07-31-2012 03:30 PM

Trust me quiltermomma you are OCD in good way. LOL

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma (Post 5409175)
So then we can make two sets, and SheriR is the first to go so far and do that? Am I reading this right? You are already done with your first set SheriR, and they thought I was OCD.

QuilterMomma 07-31-2012 03:31 PM

:):o:pOh bother I am found out.