Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Civil War Block swap - One, Two Three (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/civil-war-block-swap-one-two-three-t195372.html)

Annaquilts 07-22-2012 12:48 PM

I am also not sure about a beige. It is buggy barns but the floral tone on tone looks a bit big. Now looking at Deb's fabrics again I think it will go. I am not sure about the mauves, paisley and solid, reminds me of retro '70ies, with your colors but I think you should wait to see what Deb says.

Wholeheart Mom 07-22-2012 01:06 PM

Deb, I sent you a PM.... I would love to join this swap!

Deb watkins 07-22-2012 02:16 PM

Island - The only one that I feel really fits the colors for CW is the darker floral one on the left bottom corner. The paisley - the solids and the others are really too light or not of the family for the CW values. I know some of them are Buggy Barn - I saw them in Lancaster....but I felt they really were not of the same family. I posted what I had purchased to give people a nice representation. When I asked about these - I was told that all CW reproductions were more muted - darker colors, some tone on tones - with the exception of the beige and rose floral, and the darker floral prints that were not paisley. Sorry to be such a bugger on this....

islandwiz1 07-22-2012 03:32 PM

I think I will have to go to Joanne's to get some real CW fabric.

Deb watkins 07-22-2012 03:43 PM

I think that the blue - the solid one in the upper right - it may match the darker floral that I said that I like on second look.

oksewglad 07-22-2012 03:58 PM

This sounds like a great swap--haven't done any block swaps yet, so will wet my feet with this one.
Another note in regards to CW fabrics--black dyes were not very prevalent in the cotton calicoes of this era.

From Barbara Blackman's Civil War Quilts blogspot:
Black and gray color our Civil War memories, but black cottons were not reliable until the 1880s and '90s. You may want to use black cotton prints to add a symbolic somber tone, but the black fabrics of the Civil War years were silk and wool.

Okay off to get started with the patterns and looking for fabrics!

oksewglad 07-22-2012 05:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just looking at the Double T block--could you make 8 small FG blocks instead of the HST's?
First block with HST's. Second block using FG + square within a square as the very center block.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]350725[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]350726[/ATTACH]

sharon b 07-22-2012 08:25 PM

Here I am !! Here I am !!! :)

Will have to dig some more for the Civil War fabrics :thumbup:

sharon b 07-22-2012 08:26 PM

Never got a PM that it was open , sorry :( but I did get it stickied so hopefully we will get more here :thumbup:

SheriR 07-22-2012 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by islandwiz1 (Post 5384961)
Deb, I am in. Looking at my fabrics now. Where is everybody still on the other site?
Quilter Momma, Sheri where are you????????????????

WoW. I've been waiting and waiting and JUST found it!!! Of course I'm in! Sending PM :-)