Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Rhonda's Quilt Block Swap for June 2013 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/rhondas-quilt-block-swap-june-2013-a-t222465.html)

berryberry 06-05-2013 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by JuneBillie (Post 6104615)
Yes that is exactly what I am going to do to berryberry as far as a different block each time. I am having to learn the contrast too. Hopefully, we will see more pictures soon too. I also ran into the problem of a nest when getting to the middle seams. I read some about them, but still not quite sure what to do. I have been pressing my seams open. I actually enjoy us being able to discuss these things on here. I don't always hear to much like that, but I guess us beginners would find it helpful. I know though a lot of it is in the making of the blocks. I really enjoy Rhonda's method. I don't feel as lost with her method, and more in control.

I haven't had a problem with nest YET. Oh, Please tell me more how you were running into it so I can learn from your experience. The only nests I heard of is due to tension on the back.
I did one of the Boston blocks with chevrons last month. The skill was to do half squares and keep the points, then to have all the points match. I just got a new machine so I was trying to find the 1/4. This machine won't let me do the index card trick and the needle doesn't sit in the middle. It's over to the left. I set the machine on 2.5 which gets the needle in the middle and does a sant 1/4, but I had a problem with total sizing of the block. Now I know it's 1.0. and live with the needle to the left.

Rhonda 06-05-2013 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by JuneBillie (Post 6104615)
Yes that is exactly what I am going to do to berryberry as far as a different block each time. I am having to learn the contrast too. Hopefully, we will see more pictures soon too. I also ran into the problem of a nest when getting to the middle seams. I read some about them, but still not quite sure what to do. I have been pressing my seams open. I actually enjoy us being able to discuss these things on here. I don't always hear to much like that, but I guess us beginners would find it helpful. I know though a lot of it is in the making of the blocks. I really enjoy Rhonda's method. I don't feel as lost with her method, and more in control.

What exactly happened to cause the nest problem? There shouldn't be any nesting. When I sew mine together I sew sets of 2 blocks and then I sew the 2 blocks into 4 blocks. then sew the 4 blocks together into the quilt block.

If you can take a pic and post when you have a problem like that I can help you with it. I'm always happy to help.

Rhonda 06-05-2013 09:25 AM

Contrast - my tip to to look at the value of the fabric,. Is it a light or a med? does the fab fall in the middle of these two? If you put them together and stand back a ways can you clearly see two diff colors or do they blend? I prefer to use a really light / med/ and a dark. Think of the values on a scale of one to ten. then place your fabric on that scale. A white as a 1 and a black as a 10. A dark green would be a 10 a white with a green print would be a one.

Sometimes it is hard to decide the value level. I break them down into light-med light- dark light / llight med- med- dark med / light dark-med dark - dark

Hey maybe this should be a lesson to post LOL

JuneBillie 06-05-2013 11:38 AM

I am not quite sure how I had the nesting happen in one place. I did use the putting four together then making others and connecting them as you said. It was a great tip for me. I am learning the value, but I look and look to make sure. lol...

Are we suppose to wait until our partners get their block before posting a pick of it? lol....I am referring to the swap for May.

Rhonda 06-05-2013 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by JuneBillie (Post 6105732)
I am not quite sure how I had the nesting happen in one place. I did use the putting four together then making others and connecting them as you said. It was a great tip for me. I am learning the value, but I look and look to make sure. lol...

Are we suppose to wait until our partners get their block before posting a pick of it? lol....I am referring to the swap for May.

that's up to your partner JB I like seeing them anytime but if someone wants to be surprised I understand waiting to post.

JuneBillie 06-05-2013 12:30 PM

Yes, and I am kidding more than anything. I do look forward to all our pics though. I will try to ask more questions as I have any problems on my next block. Thank you Rhonda.

Rhonda 06-08-2013 09:55 AM

Partners assigned!!

So sorry I had such a hectic day yesterday I forgot to post partners!!

berryberry - Queenof2802
JuneBillie - stitchengramie
Queenof2802 -berryberry
AlaskaAlice -ube quilting
Stitchengramie - JuneBillie
ube quilting -AlaskaAlice

stitchengramie 07-09-2013 06:31 AM

I have a block for Junebillie but I do not know how to add it to the board. Can someone help please? Thanks, Mary

stitchengramie 07-09-2013 06:54 AM

Here is the block that I made for JuneBillie.

stitchengramie 07-09-2013 11:52 AM

JeanBilli's Block for June

1 Attachment(s)
Here is JeanBilli's block for June 2013. I hope that you like it.