Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Round Robin #10 Cardinals (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/round-robin-10-cardinals-t225917.html)

ssnare 07-16-2013 05:04 AM

Round Robin #10 Cardinals

Group 3 - "Cardinals"
Lestrong601
SazuBMidlands
DragonflyNana
Alikat110
Nexxus831 (Leader)

Round Robin #10
This round robin is meant to be a fun, social and learning experience. There is no skill level requirement, only to do the best work that you can. You should not feel that every round has to be a very complex design…sometimes the quilt will just need something very simple added at that particular point. If you have concerns about what to add at any point, feel free to ask for help from others in your group, the host of the RR, other sewing friends, or even the owner of the center. Remember…this is FUN!

Center should be any size between 12 "- 24 "finished, dividable by 3. (Be sure to add ½” for seam allowance!) The center may be square or rectangular. (The center block, all borders, cornerstones, or whatever should be carefully squared each step of the project.). The size of your center will determine the finished size of your quilt.
Borders will be 3 1/2" - 9 1/2" dividable by 3's again. (The center block, all borders, cornerstones, or whatever should be carefully squared each step of the project.)
Option - in lieu of any one of the first 2 rounds, the block may be turned on point, if appropriate. Triangles are then added to each side of the "diamond" to make it into a square again. Appliqué or embellish the corners.
• The bigger you make it the more the people adding rounds will have to do.
• Fabric: 100% cotton, washed. Please do not use any scented spray or item near fabric. Some of our members have allergies to scents, animals, smoke, etc.
• Include a label that each person may sign and a journal if desired. . Please use a Black Pigma pen or some type of black permanent fabric marker. You might want to leave enough room for everyone to list their name along with their board name, their city, state, country, and the date.

• Be sure to include instructions in your journal so the others know what you envision as a finished project. What will the finished project be used for: tablecloth, wall hanging, or lap quilt? Will your quilt have a season theme or color scheme?
• Each round should be worked. This means, a border needs to be more than just a single strip of fabric added. Examples of borders: add something in the corners, add several rows of borders, piece borders, appliqué borders, paper piece borders, hand embroider on borders, etc.. You can add an appliqué to a previous border, but you must add to that border.
This is a learning experience. Try new things!
• The owner is free to alter, add, adjust or do anything they want with the quilt.
We will be posting pictures with each round, unless you specify that you do not want to see your quilt until it is finished. For most of us…we just can’t wait.
Please stay on target for the mailing dates. You will have 2 months between mailings. If something happens that will cause you to be late mailing, please email the person who you will be mailing to and the leader of the group.

Graciously accept your finished quilt
Sometimes the final quilt owner will want to add more embellishments or add an additional border, but everyone who worked on your quilt used their best abilities. After the RR has closed, of course it is your quilt to do whatever you choose. We will all look forward to seeing the quilted final product! Please do not post pictures that show alterations or changes in someone else’s work though. Please be conscious of others feelings. If this isn’t acceptable to you, please DO NOT play.

Tips and Lessons Learned:
1. Print off the rules, mailing dates, your group mailing list.
You will be referring back to it.
2 Don’t panic…hang the top for a few days and let it speak to you. They tend to “tell you what they need next”.
3. If you are trying something new….do it on the separate border, do NOT sew it to the quilt until you are sure it worked.
4. Please DO NOT let tops pile up on you. If you need help, ask…there are others who can and will step in to help you through a time crunch bind. We can work it out.
5. Please handle the quilts carefully. We all drag them around to show them off to friends, guild members, LQS, etc. but when doing so, we can stretch the borders so the finished quilt doesn’t lie flat. Please make sure it does lie flat prior to mailing it on to the next person.
6. If for ANY reason, you feel the need to resign from doing this at ANY point in the "game", PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know! It's not fair to the others for someone to just pull out, not tell anyone and keep what is not theirs.
7. No public criticism. If you are having a problem with something, please notify your leader.

Mailing dates:
Oct. 1, 2013
Dec. 1, 2013
Feb. 1, 2014
April 1, 2014
June 1, 2014

You will always send to the same person. Have fun.

Nexxus831 07-16-2013 01:33 PM

Hi Ladies, I am super excited for the RR. Just so you know Lestrong601 is my mother. I know Paula, my mom and myself. SazuBMidlands and Alikat110 I can't wait to learn more about you. If everyone could tell a little about yourself that would be awesome. Let me see, I am 42, wife, mother to 3 adopted children and stay at home. I didn't start quilting until a few years ago before that I wouldn't ever touch a sewing machine. Then I had a local friend who encouraged me to take a quilting class and I haven't looked back since. My mother has a long arm and been quilting for all my life, you can imagine how excited and shocked she was when I texted her a picture of the mini quilt I made. My mother and I try to get together and quilt as often as we can. I am excited to join this round robin and now the task to find a design for my center block. I have it narrowed down to two different patterns but have no idea on a color scheme. Maybe you ladies could help me with that. This is the first one http://www.quilterscache.com/T/TilePuzzleBlock.html and this is the second one http://www.quilterscache.com/M/MarysOwnBlock.html . What do you ladies think? I need help...ahhhhhh

Nexxus831 07-16-2013 01:59 PM

Oh and also I need to know if you guys want to post pictures or not. I would like to post after each border but I will go with what the group wants.

Dragonfly Nana 07-16-2013 02:54 PM

Hi Nexxus831 and Lestrong601 - these new gals are in for a treat working with us three!
Hello to SuzaBMidlands and Alikat110 I hope you are as excited as we are to begin this adventure.

I am 51 and still work full time. My DH and have two children - my 30 year old son who blessed us with our grandson 8 years ago and his 25 year old daughter who is a newlywed. I will be working on a quilt to celebrate her recent marriage and hope to have in finished in time for Christmas
I have been sewing all my life but taught myself to quilt (thank you internet) in 2007 when for the first time in my life I was unemployed in a very small and remote town. Fortunately it did not last long (we moved) but by then I was hooked on quilting. I found this board about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. This is my "guild" and I love it.
I participated in the Doll Quilt Swap for 2 years and then was asked to join a Round Robin. That first one was so much fun that I started a RR of my own with 5 other board members which was scheduled to be done next late next year but we are so far ahead that we my be done by January. LOL
They goaded me into this one and I am looking forward to getting to know each of you better as we share stories and fabric.

Dragonfly Nana 07-16-2013 03:00 PM

forgot to say that I love to see pictures after each round.

alikat110 07-16-2013 03:40 PM

Hi ladies.....very happy to be in the Cardinals with you all. Wish my mom was a quilter.:'(:'(:'(

I am 30 (14 times). I am a Registered Nurse and work as a Nurse Director of an Orthopedic/Plastics/ENT Unit. I am married to Marc and we have 3 great kids together. Ethan is almost 16, Sarah is 11, & Matthew is 8. They are my pride and joy. (Ever wonder how children born and raised in the same house/family can have such radically different personalities?) I learned to sew starting at age 5 and learned quilting from my g Granny. After a rather lengthy hiatus in my early tweenties, my little sister and I took a quilting class togther and I haven't stopped. Now, all of my sisters, my mother, & I get together 2 times a year for a crafty weekend. It is always a blast!

I like the idea of posting pics after each round and am hoping to get a rather large quilt out of this...

alikat110 07-16-2013 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nexxus, I really like your choices for center. The tile puzzle block is interesting, but only uses 3 colors. The other gives you a chance to introduce a lot of color. Not sure I can help with color scheme. What or who is the quilt for ( even if "just because you can") should help dictate that. Can't wait to see what you come up with. I am posting my fabric selection here.....will do center this weekend (I hope).

alikat110 07-16-2013 03:53 PM

Lestrong, if we are always mailing to the same person, this means you get the brunt of postal fees as you are always mailing overseas. I don't want to be presumptuous, but would be happy to offset some of this cost for you.

alikat110 07-16-2013 03:59 PM

Ooooops! Just started getting to know you guys and find myself repeating my self. I tease my mom about repeating stories because she is old and forgets what she has already told me. Hehehe!!!

Dragonfly Nana 07-16-2013 05:35 PM

alikat - some might not have seen your post in the other thread so doesn't really count as repeating yourself.

I am with you on helping with the mailing cost if Lestrong or SuzaBmidlands would like some help.
Suza - do you use Euros in the UK?