Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Repeat a Boom  NEw New New - Signups Closed >

Repeat a Boom NEw New New - Signups Closed

Repeat a Boom NEw New New - Signups Closed

Old 04-14-2014, 10:21 AM

Angry 'Bummer' News . . . . Machine Brokedown. . . .

Hello Quilting Friends. . . .GP here . . . My machine has seen better days. I've PM'd our leader of my plight, so now, I'm sharing with all of you what's going on.

Hey There My Friend. . . I was just about to post my 'bummer' news. I don't like to make a ruckus until I have received the final verdict.

I just found out that my machine has a serious case of 'pneumonia' & has to be 'hospitalized.'

A week ago, I noticed my seams had loops in them; and as it got worst, I monkeyed with the tension & it seemed to get better with the higher settings. Well, my machine goes from o.1 to 8.0, & the 5th row (that only has one loop in it) is set at 8.0 (I can't go any higher & it's not getting any better) . I took a picture & e-mailed to my LQS where I purchased the machine & they told me to bring it in of Thursday the 10th & the repairman would be able to put a 'band-aid' on it until after the swap (I told them I needed my machine to finish my commitment to the 'Boom'. I received a message yesterday at 1621hrs that I need some part that has to travel from out of state & will take a few weeks to get here(back ordered. . . hhmmmm).

Enclosed is a picture of what's going on with my seams.

I have a plan with a good friend on Friday & Saturday afternoon to finish the 4 blocks I have left.
KEEP IN MIND THAT I WORK 3RD SHIFT & MY DAYS ARE OPPOSITE YOURS. My weekend is Thursday, Friday, Saturday & I OWN ONLY ONE SEWING MACHINE (after this incident, I shall look into buying a back-up). Concession had to be made to use someone else's machine on their time. I WILL HAVE THE BLOCKS MAILED OUT ON SATURDAY, 19 APRIL 14, NO LATER THAN MONDAY, 21 APRIL 14.

I really thought I would get it back this morning, sew the last 4 between today & tomorrow, be able to mail by 12 noon on 15 April 14 - NOT THE CASE.

My utmost apologies to the you and the group. I will post this note & the picture to the group to let them know & see what my machine is doing.

WOOOHOOO . . . I am typing this note at 1339 hrs EST & the LQS owner just called & told me to come & get a loaner; the person that helped me was not authorized to check out a loaner. I will get it in the morning. I go to bed at 2PM (I'm late for good cause); I have to get some sleep & get ready for work tonight. I will get the machine & be able to mail on Saturday, 19 April 14 by 1500 hrs. I am sssssooooo relieved with this news as I hope you all will be.

Looking back, I should have told the group sooner, but I had thought the repairman (who is only in the LQS on Tuesdays & Thursdays) would make some magic & I wouldn't have to post this note.

My sincere apologies for this mishap & hope you all don't think too bad of me. I've learned quite a lot on this trip & have been steered to Delaware Quilts for some nice quilt blocks. . . . GP

The first line is what's happening at machine default setting (4.0) & the 5th line is at 8.0 (the highest setting)

I'm bummed out ! ! ! ! I make all my deadlines. I hate that I am holding up the group. I ask for your forgiveness & consideration on this matter. I will mail on 19 April 14 at 1500hrs (maybe sooner) . . . GP
Attached Thumbnails 100_0340.jpg  
Old 04-14-2014, 11:47 AM

GroovyPieces, Hey! It's ok with me if you need some more time. I don't have any pressing deadline for what I'm going to do with my blocks yet. I don't even have a plan what I'm going to do with them yet! lol Thanks for your apology, but, hey, life happens. It's great you have a friend who can share a machine, and also a repair shop that can lend a machine too. I find it uncomfortable using a different machine-- I'm so used to mine... Please don't stress out. :-)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM

No stress, no worries!! I have BIG plans for my blocks, which really means they will sit until I get around to making something. I want to make a big Texas star or something for the center and put all your blocks around the edges. This one is for MEEEEEEEE! So, no problem. I hate it when my machine starts acting up, and I noticed last night that my seams are not very straight. It is like the needle is moving from side to side a little with each stitch. Or maybe it is just me!! Dread having to take it to the "hospital".
Givio, I see you are in Michigan. I wonder if we live near!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:32 PM

GP
no worries. I would not get to them tell after all the summer actives are over with.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:56 PM

Sometimes things happen in our lives and we have no way to control it. We all have the best intentions and so I am sure that most of us here are ok that we wait a few more days for the two people to get there's done. Machines just want to work when they want to work and sometimes we have to work more then we want to work. I think it makes us all cranky and we need a rest. I will look forward to every thing being here by next week. Don't stress out. Relax.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:02 PM

Sometimes things happen in our lives and we have no way to control it. We all have the best intentions and so I am sure that most of us here are ok that we wait a few more days for the two people to get there's done. Machines just want to work when they want to work and sometimes we have to work more then we want to work. I think it makes us all cranky and we need a rest. I will look forward to every thing being here by next week. Don't stress out. Relax.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:09 PM

no worries here. i am struggling to keep up with my block a week paper piecing, and then i have a bunch of tops to finish.
i am so sorry your sewing machine is giving your trouble, i know what it is like to be without my little buddy, and its a real bummer.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:50 PM

Buslady, I live near the capitol. I don't go to the Thumb much. I don't go aaaany where much-- gas costs too much! :-p If your needle is moving side to side, are you sure you have it completely off of the zig zag setting? You probably already thought of that, though.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:09 AM

It's Friday. Am I crazy or what? Last night at my guild's board meeting, someone donated a whole bunch of quilt centers for medalion quilts or what ever creative idea you can think to make with them. So many of us grab a bunch. What am I thinking???? I have 19 quilts waiting for me to finish in some order. But hey, what ever I make will be for our Tea which is a year away. do you think I can get some things made by then? HMMMMMM Yeah I will get right on that one. LOL. At the moment I am making a quilt for the summer concert in the park to be an opportunity quilt for some lucky person who goes there. It is going to be the size for lying it on the grass and sitting on it. Don't know what one would call that. I guess like a lap quilt??? Busy busy busy. Keeps us out of Jail.
lol
Old 04-18-2014, 06:59 PM

19 quilts in progress! Oh, my goodness! You can send a medallion my way, if you change your mind about doing one! :-)