Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Rhonda's Very First Wall Hanging Swap!!!! >

Rhonda's Very First Wall Hanging Swap!!!!

Rhonda's Very First Wall Hanging Swap!!!!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Power Poster

That's funny Rhonda, and an interesting story about all the animals you had then. I have at one time been in a similar situation. I actually always like a dog around too, but like certain cats. My husband is diabetic, and had bad ulcers on his legs in the past so his skin breaks easily so if a cat isn't a calm one it is dangerous for him. When we got charlie someone had already had him declawed. I wouldn't have done it, but because he already was, we knew my husband wouldn't have to be concerned about scratches. I use to have a little black kitty I named Esther. I should have thought something already when we went to get her from her owners, and they had to chase her down to give her to us. hehe... I had never had a all black kitty, and would hear all the superstitions about them so I wanted one to show what a bad wrap they got. lol...Well, she was so pretty, and sweet, but very smart, independant, and vengeful. lol...If I ever teased her by patting at her or wiggling her little black feet around in play. She wouldn't do anything at first, but then always,(like a black panther)lol...would wait until I was all comfortable back in a chair, and if my head moved over to one side she jumped up at me with all paws, and open mouth, and then ran, but very happy. She always had to get in the last move. lol...
Old 07-07-2012, 10:11 PM

here's a little known fact about black cats, thet are all part siamese. if you could hear my simon talking, you would recognise the tones.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Nancia wow, I never knew that. Well, you did say, little known fact. lol...
Old 07-10-2012, 10:24 AM

I have one of the ladies embroidered. Did not get a photo, but will post probably tomorrow. i worked on it this last weekend while I was at a longarm quilt retreat. it was real nice. I finally learned the right way to make french knots from a gal that was there. She was working on her embroidery as well. So that is the one I am making, you have to go back a few pages to see the photo of the before I start. I am going to use up some of my scrap florals I have accumulated from all the UFOs on florals I have done and find something large enough so I can frame it. that is the plan at least now to get busy again.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
I have one of the ladies embroidered. Did not get a photo, but will post probably tomorrow. i worked on it this last weekend while I was at a longarm quilt retreat. it was real nice. I finally learned the right way to make french knots from a gal that was there. She was working on her embroidery as well. So that is the one I am making, you have to go back a few pages to see the photo of the before I start. I am going to use up some of my scrap florals I have accumulated from all the UFOs on florals I have done and find something large enough so I can frame it. that is the plan at least now to get busy again.
What do you mean by the right way to do french knots? I know how I make them and I thought it was the correct way. Would love to know how you do yours now.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:01 PM

i have rec'd another in the bom that i will be using the patterns from for this swap. i am excited to get going , but don't want to get it all done and then sit for 3 months staring at it. and there are other things i should be doing.(like my dgd's 1st birthday quilt ( started before she was born).
Old 07-11-2012, 09:34 AM

here is my first block done. working on other three. Will be four blocks for setting. [ATTACH=CONFIG]348269[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails old-ladies-1.jpg   old-ladies-1.jpg  
Old 07-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

here is my first block done. working on other three. Will be four blocks for setting. [ATTACH=CONFIG]348269[/ATTACH]
Really great embroidery work Quiltermomma! Cute ladies too!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:09 PM

thank you. I don't do much by hand and it has been awhile since I have done it. trying hard to be accurate. I was having issues with even doing the french knots so this gal showed me how after i insisted she do them for me and when I came upon one she was in bed already so I had to do on my own and did it. She told me that to very the size of the frent knot is how many times you wrap the thread on the needle. Hopefully by the time I am done with them I will have it embedded in my brain and not forget.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

thank you. I don't do much by hand and it has been awhile since I have done it. trying hard to be accurate. I was having issues with even doing the french knots so this gal showed me how after i insisted she do them for me and when I came upon one she was in bed already so I had to do on my own and did it. She told me that to very the size of the frent knot is how many times you wrap the thread on the needle. Hopefully by the time I am done with them I will have it embedded in my brain and not forget.
I used to get so frustrated with the french knot pulling back through the fabric when I took the needle back down for through the fabric. So I started wrapping my thread on the needle- using my lt hand to hold the knot as the needle goes down through and then I run the needle back up through the center of my knot (but don't go through the fabric in the same exact spot of going down) and I go up the center and down on one side but real close to the knot. This will anchor it and not let it slip back under the fabric.