Row Robin 2012/2013

Old 08-28-2012, 01:57 PM

If I don't have any 'legit' applique skills, is that going to bother anyone? I have next to no applique skills, but to say that I really know what I'm doing would be a fantastic untruth... My version of applique (which I refer to as fauxplique) involves heat & bond and a straight stitch around the edges.

I don't want to let anyone down - I can piece like it's second nature, but not this other fancy stuff (not yet, at least).
Old 08-28-2012, 02:05 PM

That's how I do applique except I use a zig-zag stitch so I hope it's good enough....LOL
Old 08-28-2012, 02:08 PM

This will be a good way for you to learn how if it is needed on a row. There are lots of foundation piecing patterns to apply if you don't mind pping.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:10 PM

Woo-hoo!!! We are getting quite a few folks.....here is the updated list:

QBee
Babeyruth
wanda lou
TheMamaHauser (X2)
Difergie
SazuBMidlands
frusratedquilter40
girlscouts1
roda
Linda58
Krisb
charlottemarie (X2)
debfaye
Mhobbs
Peggiszo
Sauki1
Buslady
MdmSew’n’Sew
Lv2sew2011
AmyB
MistyMarie
Lisa_wanna_B_Quilter
Moonrise
Whigrose
Scrapper
mimim
Quiltermomma

If I am missing anyone, please let me know. You guys are coming up with some GREAT ideas for themes....keep 'em coming!!!

Last edited by Qbee; 08-28-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:52 PM

Will not brother me at all remember I'm still learning too, the more I do the better I get! And I didn't even make these I just sewed the blocks together, but looking at them I can make them and will to finish what doesn't get done on this Round Robin, please do not stress we all have to learn sometime right?
Donna

Originally Posted by TheMamaHauser View Post
If I don't have any 'legit' applique skills, is that going to bother anyone? I have next to no applique skills, but to say that I really know what I'm doing would be a fantastic untruth... My version of applique (which I refer to as fauxplique) involves heat & bond and a straight stitch around the edges.

I don't want to let anyone down - I can piece like it's second nature, but not this other fancy stuff (not yet, at least).
Old 08-28-2012, 03:00 PM

OH WOW!! I love your ideals that you are posting, and your pictures. Awesome! Can we start now? LOL J/K
Old 08-28-2012, 03:04 PM

TheMamaHauser,
Oh baby, I am the Queen of Applique - just ask QuilterMomma.

Here's one of the best tips I learned - Yes, Heat N' Bond is legit. The secret to using H n' B is to cut away all but 1/8-1/4" of the drawn pattern. This referred to as the 'donut method'. It leaves for a very soft applique piece. And the more you do it, you will even be able to get it so you are left with only 1/16 - 1/8" of the H N' B left to fuse to your fabric.

This moose I did for a block of the month swap had nary 1/16" fusible on the fabric. It had to, the antlers were so detailed. And I will admit, it was THE most detailed applique I have done to date. I'm not rushing to do anymore of those :-) Plus, the moose and the moutains are the same fabric making appliquing the hooves & legs where they overlapped the mountains quite a challenge.

I now use a buttonhole stitch - only a couple of years ago I was using a zig zag but always questioned the outcome.

best,
d

If I don't have any 'legit' applique skills... My version of applique (which I refer to as fauxplique) involves heat & bond and a straight stitch around the edges...
Attached Thumbnails 2012-july-bom_northern-lights.jpg  
Old 08-28-2012, 03:06 PM

Kelly,
Read your siggy line :-) Very appropriate.

You CAN do it!

best,
d

Old 08-28-2012, 03:46 PM

So do you draw it, trim it down, and then fuse it and trim around the fabric? 1/16" is crazy. I don't even have a ruler (except for my school rulers) that measure so small.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM

Kelly,
Honestly, I don't measure, I just get out my trusty tiny sharp scissors and start trimming away. But yes, you have the right idea. And, save those pieces you trim away because you can use them for other projects.

Glad you're doing this swap. :-) Trust in yourself.

best,
d

So do you draw it, trim it down, and then fuse it and trim around the fabric? 1/16" is crazy. I don't even have a ruler (except for my school rulers) that measure so small.