Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Row Robin 2012/2013 GROUP #10 >

Row Robin 2012/2013 GROUP #10

Row Robin 2012/2013 GROUP #10

Old 09-18-2012, 05:46 PM

That is definitely what I plan on doing. I do not have that info. right now though. Do not worry, I will not let anyone know what they are publicly.
Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
Sherry, would it be too much to ask for you to send out the names and addresses via PM since all this goes out into the public domain?
Old 09-19-2012, 04:02 AM

Everyone, I love your theme ideas. Can't wait to see them. Mine is Down by the Seashore. I love the Caribbean colors and a fun, maybe whimsical? look. Traditional blocks are fine as long as the colors are in the theme. This is my first row robin and I'm new to quilting, so I'm anxious to learn from you gals.

I haven't decided about sashing. Just to be clear---if we use sashing, the whole row would be longer than 60 1/2? Or do we incorporate the sashing width to finish at 60 1/2?

Sherry, when you mentioned a square to sign--is this just a solid neutral piece of fabric? How large does it need to be and what type of pen do you use? Great idea.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:20 AM

Jane, I have some 30's fabric, I think. I'll take some pics to make sure it agrees with what you want.

How long have each of you been quilting and is this your favorite craft? I've only made a couple of baby quilts, but now that my nest is empty (yet growing with grandchildren!), I wanted to take on something new. I also crochet, knit a little, used to cross-stitch, tried tatting (no good!). And I love to read. How about ya'll? A good Southern word here for you folks from other areas!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:28 AM

Just to be clear---if we use sashing, the whole row would be longer than 60 1/2? No, the row is 12 1/2" x 60 1/2". the sashing goes between the rows and does not count in the measurements. If you want your row to be the first row or top row, you will add the sashing to the bottom of your row or to the side of your row, if you want your row to be vertical and if you use sashing. Then you would send the rest of the sashing and ask for others to add the sashing to their rows. If you want your row to be in the center of the top, you would add sashing to the top and bottom of your row and then others will add one row of sashing to their row. Does this make sense?

Sherry, when you mentioned a square to sign--is this just a solid neutral piece of fabric? How large does it need to be and what type of pen do you use? Your signature block can be another block or just plain fabric. Last time I made a butterfly shape for each person to sign. Use freezer paper on the back. You can have the others sign, date, row #, where they live if you want. Use a pigma pen and heat set it. It should be big enough for you to sign and for 4 other people to sign. You would write what you want people to sign on the block. Then when your quilt is finished, you will have a label for your block. You will sew this on the back of your quilt.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:43 AM

I have been quilting for 2 years. I have been in several different swaps on this board and on another board. I just finished my first king size quilt. I am working on a cathedral window, that I am doing by hand. I am in 2 round robins and now 2 row robins. One of the friendship booms, I sent f8s of all the state flowers and I have 4 more blocks to be returned and then I will have all of the state flowers. I had everyone sign their block and put the state and the flower name on the front of the blocks. I am working on a diamond batik quilt. I am doing 2 block of the months. I am learning QAYG from this board, so I have been working on a star quilt that were UFOs. I just finished a wall hanging for this board. The swaps I am in now, I have sent quitar fabric for a quilt for my son and betty boop fabric for a quilt for me. Some of the blocks I have as UFOs are from the following swaps: A funky woman's favorite things, summer time swap, spring time swap, magical forest swap, red/white/blue swap, Christmas swap, plus other things.

I am an RN. I am an instructor for CNA's. I just retired this summer, but still work part time.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 PM

Good evening, group!

So good to read all the posts! Yes, we are a darned good group, aren't we??? Now I understand, Sherry. (lightbulb went off w/ description & pics. Thanks!)

30's reproduction fabric is to that era as Civil War fabrics are to that era. Probably the most popular Designer/mfr is Judy Rothermel who designs 'Aunt Grace' for Marcus Bros. There are several others, but that is probably the most well known. Think of Depression era fabrics or feedsack fabrics. Does that help? I'm sure if you go to your LQS, they'll have a section of 30's fabrics.

'Leaders and Enders' are similar to the piece of fabric we put under the foot before and after sewing a line of stitching. The difference is, you're actually putting together pieces and parts of other blocks, i.e., HST's, 4-patches, etc. SSSoooo - -- you're getting much better 'milage' out of your thread; you eliminate long thread tails and a messy sewing area AND you're being more productive with your time. Look up Bonnie Hunter. She coined the phrase. I really like her style.

MaryLane - dither away! I was just 'ribbin' you. You'll get your creative juices going and come up with something brilliant, I'm sure.

I'll think about a name to suggest for our group. We have some good ideas so far. Right now, I'm 'brain dead' from work. Will think more tomorrow.

Good night - - - -

Jane
Old 09-20-2012, 06:33 AM

YooHoo Jane........ Haven't gotten around yet to making a 30's repo quilt but have always wanted to so it will be great fun working on a row for yours. Do you have a preference for colors? Are there any colors you don't particularly like?

Yvonne
Old 09-20-2012, 06:38 AM

Hey there Barbara......do you prefer Barbara or Barb? The beach is one of my favorite places. Are you looking for blues, peaches, sandy tans, soft yellows, whites? Do you have a background favorite?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:58 AM

Hello Sherry.....another question....let's say someone gets their row done really early.....can you send it on before it's "due" date or do you hold onto it? And if I'm understanding the rules correctly we stay in the order in which we were first posted, is that correct? In other words, you send your row to MaryLane, she sends it and yours on to Barbara, Barbara sends yours, MaryLane's, Barbara's on to Jane, Jane sends all of the above on to me and I send it back to you. Right???????? Then, since I'm at the bottom of the list, I start mine out by sending it to you. Right??????

Yvonne
Old 09-20-2012, 07:17 AM

Hi MaryLane.....hope you're feeling better....I had a bout with asthma when I was a child...not fun...but, thankfully it was just a one time thing. Didn't develop allergies until about 10 yrs. ago...not fun either but doable. Barbara asked how long we'd each been quilting so this is for everyone......... Hmmmmmm........let's see, I started out around 25 years ago with an Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt-in-a-Day book.....yeah, right!!!!...although I did get it done in a weekend which, looking back, guess that really wasn't too bad. The quilts since then have all gone to family. I've been at it a while but haven't made that many because I like to do too many other things as well......crocheting (prefer thread crochet), have been making amigurumi ornaments for gifts, sewing, knitting, cross-stitching, reading, painting,
some stained glass, am trying tatting (once again!!!)...just can't get the hang of it! Signed up for a Craftsy Tatting Class that I can do in the privacy of my home so no one can see how klutzy I am!!!!!

Yvonne