Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Row Robin 2012/2013 GROUP #3 >

Row Robin 2012/2013 GROUP #3

Row Robin 2012/2013 GROUP #3

Old 02-26-2013, 09:21 AM

I personally think dyeing fabric is overrated. It is a lot of work. The best part, though, is that you can get the right shade you want if doing a pictorial quilt. It is so hard to find flesh toned fabric. Or those perfect shades of yellow. What medium do you use for dyeing your fabrics?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
I personally think dyeing fabric is overrated. It is a lot of work. The best part, though, is that you can get the right shade you want if doing a pictorial quilt. It is so hard to find flesh toned fabric. Or those perfect shades of yellow. What medium do you use for dyeing your fabrics?
Well, it depends on what I'm dyeing. I'm planning on doing some acid dyeing with wool -- I have a large number of scarf blanks that I knit on my sister's knitting machine a few years ago, and since it doesn't do knit/purl on the edges, just stockinette, I was stuck with scarf "rolls". So I dyed a few blanks, they came out beautiful, but I was still having the dilemma of getting them to lay flat. A few weeks ago I got a brilliant idea and did a crochet edging on them, then steam pressed them flat. So now I have something like another 20 scarf blanks to dye. I do all my dyeing outside, and this weekend it's going to be around 80 degrees, so great dyeing weather!
And when I'm not doing acid dyes on protein fabrics, I do fiber reactive dyeing using PDF fabrics from Dharma Trading Co. I also plan on doing some tie-dye tshirts and other clothing articles soon. If I do dyeing for quilt fabrics, it's mostly using the parfait method -- fat quarters in a jar with various dyes poured in layers. I happen to have 17 yards of a lovely cotton sateen from Dharma that did not work for tranferring photos for a quilt project, so now it's going to get dyed instead. Sorry for the long explanation, but I do tend to get carried away with my fiber arts....
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 AM

WOW!! You really do get into the dyeing. I am very impressed. Dyeing the wool sounds beautiful and very soft. So we send you some fabric that can be dyed so you will do it for us. I need shades of yellow for this flower applique art quilt that I just can seem to find any nice shading of. And do you charge for this besides us paying for the postage?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
WOW!! You really do get into the dyeing. I am very impressed. Dyeing the wool sounds beautiful and very soft. So we send you some fabric that can be dyed so you will do it for us. I need shades of yellow for this flower applique art quilt that I just can seem to find any nice shading of. And do you charge for this besides us paying for the postage?
Sorry, I do dyeing to satisfy my own creative streak! I'm also sloppy, which means I never know what is going to turn out the right shade. So I normally do mixed colors for the fun of seeing what I come up with. That's where the parfait dyeing comes in. Presoak PDF (prepared for dyeing) fabric in soda ash solution, stuff it in a jar, pour in several dyes and let ferment in a nice warm place for 24 hours before rinsing out and then washing in very HOT water with synthrapol. Once it's dry, press and ooh and ahh.... And eventually I may use some of it in a quilt.
I do prefer to do acid dyes on wool and silk, it's a lot less complex and you get the satisfaction of a finished product much quicker than with fiber dyes.
Speaking of fiber, I have about 4 fleeces that need to be scoured and processed for spinning too. Think I'm going to be real busy over Spring Break. Not to mention finishing my blocks for Tam Moo's quilt, and finishing up blocks for another swap that are due by the 18th!!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:03 PM

Hey buslady, I am getting ready to post pictures, please post yours.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 AM

I had a blast working on snowmen this weekend. Different that the other 2 rows, so I hope it is OK. I had this idea, then I started it a couple of weeks ago. For some reason that idea just wasn't inspiring me to complete. Then this weekend, I decided to give it another shot. Same Idea, a little more work, and I am totally in love with the result. I have one piece to do some hand work on, and then I have to add a block to the end, first I have to figure out how big that block needs to be, and I will have a finished product!! Question. What is your intent for this quilt? I am doing some embellishing. A littleBeadwork here, a bit fleece there, a poof of organza, WhaLA!! Too much? If it is, just send it back to me and I will do it over!! I had so much fun with this one, I will have a tough time sending it on. LOL
I cannot wait to try the dying. I am coming to AZ in June, maybe a get together? I had a gal come to our retreat this year and she was going to show us how to dye the fabric. Well, we got all the plastic laid out, all our tools around, she passed out the PTD fabric, and realized she had left the bucket of dyes at home. So we got instructions but no hands on. I am a messy person, myself, thus the waiting for outdoors. I have been reading on the various methods. The parfait sounds interesting, as well as the resist stuff. Since we have so much snow this year, I wish I could get a move on and try some of the method that uses melted snow or ice cubes. apparently you crumple up the material with ice cubes or snow and dribble the dye over the top, it dyes as the snow/ice melts. See, I just talked myself right out of it.
I have a sister in AZ and I am going to a conference in Albequerque, so she was going to drive down to visit me. I am thinking about just flying into Phoenix and driving down with her!! She thinks that brilliant. I think it is a sister thing. LOL
Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 PM

Buslady, I sent you a private email about your question. I'm sorry we are being so quiet. I have had some health problems but I am here and happy when you leave a message. I only check my emails at night around 6 pm or so.
Let me know if anybody needs anything. My private email is [email protected]
C
Old 03-04-2013, 08:40 PM

Good to hear from you
Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 AM

I'm jones'n for some progress pictures....??? Anyone???
Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 AM

I'll share if you do!! LOL