Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Sign Up for April 2013 Doll Quilt Swap Spring Has Sprung Closes March 31st Noon EST >

Sign Up for April 2013 Doll Quilt Swap Spring Has Sprung Closes March 31st Noon EST

Sign Up for April 2013 Doll Quilt Swap Spring Has Sprung Closes March 31st Noon EST

Old 05-15-2013, 05:57 AM
Swap Hosts

It's gorgeous, isn't it?
The clothing labels - there are a few pieces to this, so go get a cup of tea. I've always loved vintage clothing and during the 1960s it was the perfect time to raid my mother's attic and cedar chest. I just loved the detailing in the clothing back then - the buttons, the little finished darts and -- the beautiful lables that were hand stitched into the clothing - sometimes with herringbone stitches, florals, anything but plain old stitches. When I wore those clothes into the ground, I saved the buttons and lables.
Time passed and I ended up living with a bunch of artists in Brooklyn. There was a street that was condemned due to a collapse and all the buildings were empty and waiting to be torn down. It was a playground for us and we found stained glass - an old wicker casket for collecting bodies (which got turned into a coffee table -- I know -- ewwww -- and a closed label embroidery company! I was in heaven!
Time marched on and in my 30s I was getting my degree in ethnomethodology/sociology and I took a class having to do with the international economics of women. One of the first assignments we had was to go into our closets and look at all the clothing labels to see where they were from. The idea was to start thinking about the women who worked in sweat shops throughout the world, but I started thinking about the label makers and the women who stitched the labels into the clothing ... I ended up making a little wall quilt of hand embroidered labels for the professor.
I wanted to start a series of little quilts with labels having to do with different themes -- one of which had to do with XL sizes and the process of losing weight and becoming strong (XS labels). Another one was a large piece of international labels with Made In the USA labels forming a map of the US in the center. (I found several boxes of new Made in the USA labels at an estate sale). These were well underway and lots of my darling QB friends (especially Quiltymom) send labels so I could finish. But then ... well, you know what happened. Gone. So, I'm starting to collect again. Maybe I'll make place mats out of XL labels to encourage careful dining! (Confession, this formerly size 3 sliding into a size 1 plumped up considerably over the years ...)

More than you wanted to know about labels, I'm sure.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 AM

Krystyna I love the labels story! I'll keep my eye out for them at yards sales /estate sales around here and IF I find any, I'll send them your way.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 AM

K so happy you liked everything, sorry my quilting is not the best. But glad you liked it. And I will continue to save clothing tags for you. Loved what you wrote about saving them and about the casket basket, as I have searched for one for years... I can so relate!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Swap Hosts

QuiltingKrazy, don't go to yard sales ... go to your closet!!! My poor family never had a shred of clothing with a label in it -- and that included undies!

Wanda, your quilting is perfect! I love it so much. You've been searching for a casket basket for years??? Seriously? Yikes!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:27 PM

Krystyna, your little quilt from wanda lou is gorgeous, love the little bit of colour on b/w.

Clothing label tags huh, want some from Aussie land???
Old 05-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Lynnie25 View Post
Krystyna, your little quilt from wanda lou is gorgeous, love the little bit of colour on b/w.

Clothing label tags huh, want some from Aussie land???
Oooo! You bet I do! I wonder what customs will think of THAT? But we'll have to make a trade. Think of something you'd like. Maybe a wee label quilt?
Old 05-15-2013, 04:46 PM

Creepy stories - My husband had wanted a hearst for years and even seriously started searching the internet for one. Well, shortly after he started his search, he got cancer and had a devil of a time beating it, but he did. Since then, he's not had many thoughts about buying the hearst as he figures if he does buy one, I'll drive him to the cemetery in it!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 PM

Default Mini Pinwheels for Wardy74

This little quilt is making it's way across the pond to Wardy74 - hope you feel better soon Jan.
Attached Thumbnails april-2013-doll-quilt-swap-wardy74.jpg  
Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Power Poster

Now how cute is that? 3D pinwheels
Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 AM

dabbler312, that is one beautiful little quilt, love the fabrics and the buttons just add that finishing touch