Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Sign Up for the June 2013 Quilting Board 46th Doll Quilt Swap! Red White and Blue >

Sign Up for the June 2013 Quilting Board 46th Doll Quilt Swap! Red White and Blue

Sign Up for the June 2013 Quilting Board 46th Doll Quilt Swap! Red White and Blue

Old 06-04-2013, 07:42 AM

Not going to do June, only if someone needs a partner. but this time I just need to be on the sidelines.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 AM

oh thanks Buzzin! I am south of buffalo--not far from kissing bridge ski resort.
cool to meet someone local isnt it?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:12 AM

Thanks for all the nice comments on Red, White and Blue quilt for Cogito. Most of the fabrics are from the American Collection by Mary Jo Tuttle in the April 2013 Connecting Threads catalog. I have no idea where the backing fabric I used was purchased or when. It just went together with the rest of them! And as you all can see, it's a good thing love is blind, because I made plenty of mistakes on that little quilt! I'll try to do better on SistahDebbra's! I need to PM her.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Sistahdebbra, please PM me regarding the June swap. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Swap Hosts

Bertie, you are TOOOOO modest!

Psychomom, thanks for the offer. I think we're good for this month.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 AM

Ooftah! I am way behind I think not started my DQ for KimmieH yet!
My mothers parents, Norwegians from Minn., always used it. My mother and her siblings didn't learn to speak English until they went to school. At that time the family only spoke English and the children forgot the Norwegian language.but never stopped useing "Ooftah"
Old 06-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Swap Hosts

Ooftah! More Norwegians! Please pass the lutkefisk!

Psychomom, you need to empty your mailbox.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post

Hmmm. How about an oof-dah theme some month?
Hey I like that idea! and Oof-dah quilt. We could interpret that a number of ways. It would be fun.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
That's funny Cogito - I didn't realize it was so rare to hear. My grandparents were of Norwegian ancestory and my grandmother said "Ooftah!" often. It means the same thing as "Oh my goodness" or "Good grief" or like you said "Geez". It must be a Swedish saying too, which makes sense, since they have only been separate countries in recent history. It must be heard a lot in the areas of our country with larger concentrations of people with Scandanavian heritage. The word is used like crazy in Scandanavian jokes. It is spelled a lot of different ways... uff-da being used more often. Hah hah I sound like a linguist or something. I do love to learn the background of things and we can see you do too.
No, You are right......it was Norwegian that lived up in that area (I was confoozed!) because it isn't that far south of Minnesota. Thanks everyone who joined in on this off topic to help explain! Oh yes, I was raised that way. My mother and father were foreign linquists (father professor at University of NE) and boy did we learn the etymology of words, etc. lol!
Old 06-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Swap Hosts

Cogito, what fun parents you had! Growing up in our household we spoke a blend of languages - Lithuanian, Polish, Russian, a dialect of Romani - and English, of course. At one point I noticed that the language used sort of depended on the emotional content of the conversation. Later on my sisters and I added Spanish, French and Latin to the mix just for fun -- three languages the relatives DIDN'T speak, LOL!

Well, July is going to be a combination of Self-Portrait and/or Where I Live so we can always toss OOFDAH into the mix!