Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Spring 1.5" Squares Swap- Sign up deadline is 6/1/12 >

Spring 1.5" Squares Swap- Sign up deadline is 6/1/12

Spring 1.5" Squares Swap- Sign up deadline is 6/1/12

Old 07-12-2012, 08:27 AM

Shelrox, sorry for your loss. I know the feeling and in time it won't hurt as much but you will still miss her. I didn't make a memory quilt from my mom's clothes, but I have made eight quilts (for me, my sisters and nieces) from the remnants of fabric leftover from her sewing days, mostly clothing. No all the material (her term ) was all cotton, but I used the blends anyway and the quilts looked and felt good. Please show us your creations when done.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Hi i would love to do a side swap. Awhile ago I start to cut for a postage stamp quilt.
this would sure help. Let me know what to do
Thanks Ada
Old 07-13-2012, 06:00 AM

Thank you once again everyone, yesterday was the service and now this step is all behind us. I sat there yesterday surrounded by family and friends and all I could do was smile, I did have to fight tears once in a while but to see Mom so peaceful and no longer gasping for breath was all I could ask for. It helped to get an image out of my brain, her laying here at home having a stroke and me not being able to do a thing for her except hold her hand and stroke her cheek. that was on Sunday and she passed on Tuesday. Even her nurse said that was all you could do at that stage. Mom had a DNR order as well as a living will and all so that was her wishes. Thank you all once again! Cant wait for the next swap, as Mom said life goes on and I dont want you sitting around grieving get back to living and move forward. Been cutting out squares as time allowed as I was taking care of her last week. So already have my head start
Old 07-13-2012, 09:57 AM

shelrox, I am so sorry for your loss but applaud you for your great attitude. One of the biggest sellers I have is the memory quilts I make from loved ones passing. You might want to think about adding a favorite picture or poem as well. One of my customers even sent her Mom's kitchen curtains to add to the quilt, the memories she had sitting over a cuppa coffee in her Mom's kitchen was very important to her.

we will be sending Prayers your way,

Marybeth
Old 07-15-2012, 04:55 AM

I am starting to cut new fabric so anybody who wants to do a side swap of 1.5" squares please pm me.
Judy
Old 07-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

** A new swap has been posted. 30 sets limit! **
Old 07-16-2012, 06:24 AM

Thank you Marybeth, I sat yesterday and went through alot of her night shirts and house coats. Though I am a die hard cotton lover I am used mixed fabrics in these. I also have found a few little things that she in her drawers that she had made years ago and they will get worked in. I even plan on cutting a few knit shirts up that had embroidery on them and what not to add a splash of Mom to each one. Seems I have at least 6 to make and I decided that these will just be basic simple patchwork, nothing fancy. Hoping i have enough flannel to back them all with as well and I told my brother these will be lap quilts and not my usual over sized creations, normally to me a lap quilt is 70 x 80 so I have ot shrink them down. LOL

Mom had been dx'd 15 months ago and all along she wanted noone to feel sorry for her and kept saying she was fine. So I think that is where the strength is coming from, no need to be sad and cry all day long for she would not want it that way. Tears have been flowing for so long on my part for i was 530 miles away as well. So that is why I think I am so positive now.. thank you again!!

Donna

Originally Posted by marytoddliz View Post
shelrox, I am so sorry for your loss but applaud you for your great attitude. One of the biggest sellers I have is the memory quilts I make from loved ones passing. You might want to think about adding a favorite picture or poem as well. One of my customers even sent her Mom's kitchen curtains to add to the quilt, the memories she had sitting over a cuppa coffee in her Mom's kitchen was very important to her.

we will be sending Prayers your way,

Marybeth
Old 07-16-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by shelrox View Post
....Mom had been dx'd 15 months ago and all along she wanted noone to feel sorry for her and kept saying she was fine. So I think that is where the strength is coming from, no need to be sad and cry all day long for she would not want it that way. Tears have been flowing for so long on my part for i was 530 miles away as well. So that is why I think I am so positive now.. thank you again!!Donna
shelrox this is how it was for my father. he and his wife passed from cancer almost within a year of each other and i was one of the primary cargivers for both and exclusively for my father. he would tell me often that death was not his enemy. so i spent my time with him in deep conversations and i took him on a bahamian cruise to watch the sunsets though he was almost too sick to go. i couldn't do anything about him leaving here, but i could take advantage of the time i had with him. i too had cried up my tears beforehand, packed in my resolve and went to the finish line with him.

i am strong because of the foundation that he was most instrumental in building for me. he did not want us feeling sorry or sad for him either. and for those who knew my father, knew he was not a sad kind of person. he was a soldier through and through and believed you got up every day and put one foot in front of the other for as long as you could.

may your strength and your memories continue to hold you fast and keep you lifted up.

btw, memory quilts are made
with mixed fiber contents because of the clothing items used to make them. all is good.

here is a site where this woman specializes in what she calls 'passage quilts'. take a look at her site and quilts as they are special. not your traditional quilts.

http://passagequilts.wordpress.com/about/
http://www.passagequilts.com/quilts-willoughby.html

Last edited by Havplenty; 07-16-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
** A new swap has been posted. 30 sets limit! **
Thank you! I'll go check it out and sign up. I need more stamps, right?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:48 PM

[QUOTE=Havplenty;5369312]shelrox this is how it was for my father. he and his wife passed from cancer almost within a year of each other and i was one of the primary cargivers for both and exclusively for my father. he would tell me often that death was not his enemy. so i spent my time with him in deep conversations and i took him on a bahamian cruise to watch the sunsets though he was almost too sick to go. i couldn't do anything about him leaving here, but i could take advantage of the time i had with him. i too had cried up my tears beforehand, packed in my resolve and went to the finish line with him.

Ty so much, things are tough at times and at other times I just want to laugh and smile for I have a feeling that come over me that says be happy for that is what Mom wanted. Ty as well for that site, there were a few on there that are similar to what I want to do. I am not planning anything fancy, just going to cut the shirts up and use them. What ever way they fall they do. I have a few shirts that have embroidered pockets and I figure that will add more interest. Will get to cutting when I go home for i didnt want to start cutting them here and get Dad upset.