Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Advice about sewing machine & cutting tables >

Advice about sewing machine & cutting tables

Advice about sewing machine & cutting tables

Old 02-08-2014, 03:03 PM

Default Advice about sewing machine & cutting tables

We are going to be moving and I am getting a new sewing room. Some things in the one I have did not work out, including the giant desk that I have the serger, embroidery machine and sewing machine on. The room is about 8'x10' (same as I have now) and I was wondering what tables worked and what did not. Not looking forward to dismantling the room I have now (it has pegboard on some walls and a design wall -- all well attached). Sigh.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:48 PM

I saw a desk the other day that I thought was a good idea. It was like a secretary desk with a left side run off. The run off would help when you are sewing on large quilts as you quilt would not drag as much.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:09 PM

I have a Sew-Ezi table for my Husqvarna/Viking sewing/embroidery machine, and it is very stable. When you buy it, they ask what machine you have so they customize the table to your machine. I also bought the piece that makes the table a solid top, when I want to use it for embroidery. It will fold up and has its own cover and has wheels if you want to take it anywhere. My Janome has its own table and does not fold up like the Sew-Ezi. My cutting table also folds up - it folds up and is a full length mirror on one side. You can see pictured on the Thread: The floor is NOT the best place!

Also, I have a large regular ironing board and made the large board ironing board to fit on top, but sets aside when not in use.

I don't envy you packing up your sewing room, but it is always fun to start over.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 02-08-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:50 PM

"I have a Sew-Ezi table for my Husqvarna/Viking sewing/embroidery machine, and it is very stable. When you buy it, they ask what machine you have so they customize the table to your machine."

I would love to have one of these tables. I bought a Horn folding table from the Viking dealer in my town and I didn't like it then and I still don't like it, but the only thing available. It is this table: https://www.hornofamerica.com/produc...&productID=104 It does not have a large sewing area and I've had to replace the plastic leg locks which requires going through a Horn dealer which my Viking dealer is not. I had to contact a dealer in another town to get them. The Viking dealer did not get them for me.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:50 PM

I found a used kitchen island on Craig's list and it has worked very well for me...great height for me (5'6")
for cutting...made an ironing board for the top, so that I can iron whole yardage at a time and has shelf space
and drawers for my Sizzix dies and other notions.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:52 AM

I recently purchased a table from Kangaroo, called the tasmanian. My Viking diamond fits down in it. The insert makes it flat for free motion. It has a handle that turns to raise the whole thing for cutting fabric on. The machine raises when it needs to be in embroidery mode. I have pieced and FMQ on it. Have not used the other functions...yet. At this point I love it. It is smaller then the long table I was using from SAMs so it fits better. I think if I was doing a very large quilt I would put a table to the side or back for more room. I think the measurements of it are 40 x60.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:22 AM

I have a sofa table that my sewing machine sits on..I happen to be tall so in my chair its the perfect height for me.. The table is long and narrow so it doesnt take up much space, but it has two hinged fold out top sections that will triple the table top size if I need a bigger area for some reason. My cutting table has fold down sides as well and folds to around 13 inches wide by 35 inches and then folds out to 59 x 35, and has a gridded ironing cover so it can be used that way too.. I think when you have limited space getting things that will convert and fold away is a great idea, it works for me. I have carpet in my sewing room and I have those moving slider things under my sewing table legs so if i want to move it out more to the center of the room just three or four feet, its a cinch, when I'm done I slide it back against the wall.The cutting table has casters and rolls good enough across the carpet, I dont really move it that much unless i'm folding out a side, but everything tucks away for when I'm working on my longarmer.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:35 PM

I have a Horn Quiltmate II, love having it. I'm a machine quilter. The Bernina 930,Bernina 1031,Pfaff 1222E and Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 875 can all use the same cabinet just by changing out the insert around the machine's free arm.
Here's a picture of the twin size Spider Web quilt I'm doing FMQ on currently; the Sapphire 875 is doing the quilting.
Sharon in Texas
Attached Thumbnails spiderweb-being-quilted-005.jpg   spiderweb-being-quilted-004.jpg   spiderweb-being-quilted-001.jpg   spiderweb-being-quilted-003.jpg  

Last edited by purplefiend; 02-10-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I have a Horn Quiltmate II, love having it. I'm a machine quilter. The Bernina 930,Bernina 1031,Pfaff 1222E and Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 875 can all use the same cabinet just by changing out the insert around the machine's free arm.
Here's a picture of the twin size Spider Web quilt I'm doing FMQ on currently; the Sapphire 875 is doing the quilting.
Sharon in Texas
I wish I had this Horn table instead of the one I bought from the quit shop -- the machine is not level with the top of the table--instead it has a hinged part that swings up to meet the machine but it is not that stable and is not a large stitching area.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:14 AM

I bought a craft table at Hancock Fabrics that has two drawers (one on each side). The top folds down and can be stored in a closet. I also have a large cutting mat and an ironing cover for it. It is awesome. Wait for a sale and a day that has an additional 15% off. Some stores will allow the extra 15% on furniture. I recently saw one at Hancock Fabrics that is "shabby chic" painted in mint green (I think) that has a covered top and wicker baskets, sooooo cute - just no room to store it!