Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Any new organizing goals? >

Any new organizing goals?

Any new organizing goals?

Old 10-26-2016, 05:44 PM

I finished my 2 quilt tops so I am starting to go through a box that ended up being a 'catch-all' this summer when I was reorganizing my sewing room.

Connie
Old 10-26-2016, 07:47 PM

I laid out 5 projects on my ironing table today and vowed to start nothing else until they were completed. 3 are done and it's soon bedtime so I'm feeling pretty good about that. When I get the last 2 finished up, (hopefully tomorrow) I may get crazy and give the whole room a clean up.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:53 PM
Power Poster

I'm stitching the binding on a UFO and will trim threads later...one UFO done means I can start a new project. So got the pattern developed in EQ and blocks printed. Even started sewing tonight. I'm sorting through scraps as I make each block...lots of sorting cuz there are lots of blocks ....
Old 10-26-2016, 11:56 PM
Power Poster

So sorry to hear about your Mom's house. She's so fortunate to have you. Your room looks great.
Originally Posted by SSStitches View Post
Oh yes. The great flood took moms house, so she now lives with us. My sewing room became her room. She also had a sewing room. Her singer is set up on a table in the hall. Mine will go in the kitchen when needed. This corner of the laundry room is our sewing center. Major re-organizing! But we did it.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:56 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561285[/ATTACH]

"Best laid plans" and all that. Here's the list I made on Thursday morning. Right now, as I type, it's Saturday night at 7:45.

I made the ironing board cover (pictured), which took a LOT longer than I anticipated, but I like it much more than I anticipated as well, so that's okay. I just thought Friday I'd be more productive in my sewing room. Normal housework took the place of my specialty list. But the downstairs level looks much better than if I'd ignored it. (Why don't houses clean themselves the way animals do?) As for today, my DH really didn't know I had this itch to clean on a Saturday, and he wanted me to take a country drive up to a favorite Mennonite grocery store. I knew the drive would be pretty, and that if I didn't go, he'd come home with a bunch of junk food and processed convenience stuff that would sabotage the better eating habits my son and I are trying to stick with. Grocery shopping is a necessary evil in my book; he rather enjoys it, but our "tastes" are much different. Anyway, that was a 4-hour round trip when all was said and done. And, having been awake since 5 a.m. for no good reason, I had to nap .

Hence, the lack of cross-outs on my ambitious list.

I will now be trying to put chaos into order. You know how it always looks bad "before" a big organizing redo? And even worse "during"?? Yeah, well, I am in the "during" phase, so I could use some cheerleaders in my virtual corner.

My sister is coming on Friday from out of state, and this will be her guest room. If that's not motivation, I don't know what is!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]561286[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0687.jpg   img_0688.jpg  

Last edited by zozee; 10-29-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:42 PM

Zozee: I totally understand 'best laid plans.' At least you got a few things crossed off of your list.

Connie
Old 10-29-2016, 06:23 PM

I spent an hour today and yesterday organizing the sewing room. I also spent an hour working my way through some of the boxes in the garage. I had to go grocery shopping and DSL came over to do some repairs so all progress is slow. I picked up some containers at Dollar Tree that hold the 5 and 5.5" squares so I was able to put them safely away and clean up the cutting mat (Yeah!!!). I hope to spend more time tomorrow but have to get some more supplies for DSL.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

I just hate it when my "real" life gets in the way...takes so much time away from playtime..oh well....
Old 10-31-2016, 03:33 AM

Well, I managed to get the UFO top sandwiched and finished quilting it. Will bind it this afternoon after I get home from the barn.

I still haven't solved the quilt storage issue, but I saw a pin on Pinterest where the person used skirt hangers to hang her quilts. She loosely accordion folded them and used a skirt hanger for each section so the quilts wouldn't get creases. Something like that might work in my shallow closets if the skirt hangers are narrow enough so there aren't parts of the quilts brushing against the back wall....and there's still the problem of keeping dust off since my 100 year old house and large indoor dog equals lots of dust.

Rob
Old 10-31-2016, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

My sewing room is chaos, albeit, organized as I dig through my scraps for the current project. There are many blocks that repeat so I'm sewing a prototype and then cutting all the pieces needed for those blocks. I figure I have three days of cutting and sewing to do. Then I can sew the rest of my blocks after the mass cutting is over, and the scraps can go back where they belong...but it's off to work I go for a couple of days...