Bobbin Keepers

Old 12-19-2015, 07:56 PM

I do a lot of quilting and I like to use the matching thread in the bobbin. So.....I've purchased about 20 or 25 bobbins and store them in 2 of those rubber ring sold at JoAnn's called bobbin savers. They sit in the bobbin saver without falling out and you can see the thread. Oh and I use leftover bobbin thread to piece my blocks. Rarely do you need a neutral color to piece with....no one ever sees the thread.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

I use one of those wooden racks sold at Joanns to store thread on. It sits right on my sewing table where can see I. They come in two sizes. I have the smaller one.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:05 PM

As a beginner, I was worried that I'd have trouble matching so I also use the small baggies to keep the spool and bobbins together just like todiesmom. Being a little OCD, I also use the hair scrunchies to prevent the thread from unraveling on the bobbins.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:21 PM

I would like to use the cut up tubing system. What size tubing do I need?
Old 01-08-2016, 08:00 AM

I use the little terrycloth hairbands to keep my bobbins from unspooling, but then I just toss them into bowls, at least for the ones for my "main" machine. Those are clear plastic so I can see the colors - I have a bowl for fine thread which is all my Aurifil and Presencia thread bobbins, and a separate bowl for thicker thread which is mostly Connecting Threads thread. I also have a really small little dish for polyester - I rarely sew in poly and only keep 3 colors on hand so I don't need much space for those. I never have trouble matching them back up if I want to use matching top & bottom thread, but mostly I match the bobbin thread to the backing fabric so color mismatch doesn't usually matter. I do try to use matching thread weights so I don't have to twiddle around with tension.

For my vintage machines, I usually only have 5-10 bobbins for each machine, so for those I keep the bobbins just loose in the accessory box for the machine they go to, but with those little terrycloth hair bands to keep them from unspooling.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

I just use the regular bobbin boxes. I have a box marked for both machines; the 401 and the 2662. There is also a bobbin holder in the drawer of my 401 desk cabinet. Those bobbins are all for the 401. I have a small tool box that holds my accessories for my 2662 and accommodates the bobbin box. I have labels in the slots that say poly, cotton or nylon.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:48 PM

I've been using these Hand-i-bobs for years. http://www.amazon.com/Handi-Bobs-HB1...ywords=bobbini (Keep looking until you find a good price. These press into the spool's hole and keep matching bobbins firmly attached to avoid confusion. They will fit almost every thread type I have (except Superior Masterpiece spools). For those I've been using little pink plastic pegs that I can no longer find. For those I expect this item on Amazon would do the trick http://www.amazon.com/Bobbin-Buddies...bobbin+keepers Or or a pipe cleaner.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:41 PM

I actually found something called Tulips. They are cute hinged thingies that clamp around your bobbin. 12 to a pack for $10. Working great so far.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I just use the little fuzzy pony tail holders, works great for me.
I do too. Then I store them on binder rings. Or drop them in plastic bobbin trays.

Sandy