Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Camper sewing areas >

Camper sewing areas

Camper sewing areas

Old 09-26-2016, 11:46 AM

Hi Jean...I am a live in Nanny, but own a 30' Dutchman travel trailer for weekends off and vacay time. The most helpful change I made for quilting/sewing is this: I had my son turn the table around sideways and move it about 8 inches out from the wall. It gives me space for basting and ironing because I can drape the quilt sandwich down the back side of the table. It can still be used for 4 people eating or lowered for extra sleeping area, as it was originally intended. Since I am single...I had him build me a raised single bed platform, on 4 legs. I have 5 bins on rollers under it...this is where I stash my stash! Lots of room there and on the opposite wall for a dresser with backing and batting. The closet and camper storage along the back wall is enough for my clothing. I love how neat and organized everything is. Good luck and have fun getting the way YOU want it!
Old 09-26-2016, 12:29 PM

We don't full time or snowbird, but we are gone for 4-5 weeks at a time. I have a relatively small travel trailer - 28'. If I want to do some really significant sewing, I take my Gidgit table, the same one shown above. It is wonderful! I store it behind the recliners, our catch all storage spot for odd-sized items. I sometimes carry a small folding chair from Ikea to use at the table since my other folding chairs aren't the right height. I will have to try using a recliner and a pillow as a previous poster suggested. If I know I will only be doing sewing shorter times, I just do it on my dinette table. The height isn't right though, so a couple of hours at a time is all I can handle. I do like to precut, mostly because it is such a pain to press large pieces of fabric. I keep a mini-iron and Best Press in the trailer all the time anyway, and I use a padded pressing board that I put on the right side of the dinette. My rulers and current project travel in a plastic storage box which fits perfectly in a cubby my husband made next to the bed. I keep my notions in a fishing tackle box. It normally sits under the dinette along with my sewing machine (when not in use).

Have fun traveling. We travel all around the West with our trailer and have a wonderful time.

Pam
Old 09-26-2016, 05:50 PM

Pam,
Can you tell me the name of the chair from Ikea? I'm looking for a new one for my sewing space. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2016, 07:13 PM

I wish we had a LIKE button. I like all the tips and techniques you have shared. We will back out to our camper by Sat. and I can hardly wait to try some of your ideas. I hope you will continue to comment and post pictures here on this thread. Thanks so much for your participation.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:43 PM

My husband made this for me. We took a 4 foot folding table and cut the back legs off. I put floor protectors on them to protect the built in dresser. My machine and cutting/iron board fit nicely. It's perfect for my Featherweight!! I love it!! It's great because I can leave it up and it's not in the way. [ATTACH=CONFIG]559066[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2875.jpg  
Old 09-26-2016, 10:55 PM

This is the first time seeing camping here. Guess it pays to be up in the middle of the night. We also have a camper and camping is not really my idea but as long as my sewing machines goes with me, I will find some place to put it. Thanks for posting Jean.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:47 AM

I"m so envious ladies. My husband and I just got back from a month long trip camping in our van. It's not fancy, my husband built a (very, very comfortable) bed in it. Cooler and little boat potty. No room for a sewing machine. I always bring a lot of hand sewing. Two totes full. My husband is going to make a little table for the cooler to go on so I can store my quilting underneath that. Camping would be perfect if I could bring my sewing machine.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:21 AM

Beckys Crafts, I was thinking that a Gidget table would work because it collapses and it should store easily in a camper. On the wall behind it there is the most beautiful quilt! Did you make that? Was it a kit? Did you use a panel? It packs a wow factor in the room. It is gorgeous!
Old 09-27-2016, 05:35 PM

I like your setup, Yamaha Mama. Having the light and the view from the window is really nice and, of course, your little FW. I have a similar place in our bedroom. I may give this a try. I'm thinking I may not have enough room there for a chair. We should be back to the camper by Sat. and I'll take a look at it then.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:28 PM

Default Camper quilting.

Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
Do any of you have photos you could post of your sewing areas in your campers. We'll be spending the winters in our camper (33' 5th wheel). I'll be taking my machine, tools, and fabric to quilt, and would love to see how you have your space set up.
Don't have pictures but have been quilting in a camper for years. My DH bought me a coffee table that lifts up to table height and really saves my back. It's long enough to put small cutting/ironing board beside my machine and I don't have to move anything for meals. Any company understands my mess. I use the.couch to set on. Happy quiltcamping.

Last edited by corsmp; 09-27-2016 at 06:37 PM.