can't throw away!

Old 06-25-2014, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by lizzy View Post
Sometimes, I know, I spend more time organizing than quilting. Then, I forget how I organized items and round and round it goes. Thanks to all quilters who sent in good ideas for organizing their sewing area. I might do a little organizing this afternoon.
Thats me too ! lol
Old 06-25-2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dodee View Post
That's what I decided to do - put it in boxes and store them - clearly marked, too.
Right now I cannot find my dresden template ANYWHERE and guess I'm going to have to buy a new one. I could have accidently dropped it into the wastepaper can without realizing it. It's driving me nuts !!!
Dodee
Tn.
Now here is a new one I have lost my wristwatch and I honestly believe I did that on my sewing cave...that's the last place I remember seeing it! Have turned the place upside down, but not found...I do think the sewing fairy is having a MOMENT......meanwhile I keep looking at my empty wrist! Time to buy a new one, so the old one shows up!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:04 AM

I'm a little like this, but I do an "okay" job controlling buying in the first place and that helps. Once I have something, I have it for keeps, but I've reached a point where I see a new ruler/tool and I don't feel like I have to own it.

Even fabric...I don't buy on a whim nearly as much as I did when I started out. I still do a little, but much, much less than when I was a newbie and was still 'stash building'. Now I have what I think is a good sized stash - big enough for variety but not overwhelmingly large. I have it stored so that I can see everything at once so I always have a pretty good idea about what's in there.

But the things I DO have...those are MINE and I'm not getting rid of them, even if I almost never use them.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:08 AM

same here I find when I throw out pieces of fabric my hands hover over the trash can and my hands won't open to put it the trash
Old 06-25-2014, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
Trying to declutter but am so mad at myself because i cannot part with much! Any one else in this boat?

I am just as you are, made my self a 93 inches tall and 48 inches wide to put all my Quilting books and magazines, Crochet books and magazines, and also Craft books and magazines last but not least my Cook books and magazines. I collect them so I had to make a large book case. It also holds one of older sewing machines. I have 13 sewing machines also, I will not part with any of them. I did gave a way the first one I ever bought brand new a White brand to my husbands Aunt by marriage she was tickles pink so to speak.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:07 AM

Depends on how much room you have and what you want to put your survivors through when they have to decide what to throw away. Believe it. It will be done.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I've reached a point where I see a new ruler/tool and I don't feel like I have to own it.
Does not compute.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:17 PM

I decluttered last year and got rid of so much, especially craft items that I thought I would get into and then never did. I figured someone else could use them. I sent 2 big USPS boxes of beads, etc., to my cousin who does crafts for extra money. Some I gave to my great niece's school art teacher. Duplicates of quilting items went to my niece or friends.

Today, when I look around my sewing room I think, now where did all THIS stuff come from? Must be those rabbits again!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:34 PM

I like Gramie bus idea, I have a huge box of throw outs but just can't do the throw out, we use to be able to give throw outs to people who run quilting programs in the Women's prisons ( they had to aquire good reports to be able to go to the sewing session,of course they were not allowed scissors or rotary cutters, but these women made some lovely quilts.)
I have not seen anyone collecting for this cause for a while ,how quickly they throw out bin grows
Old 06-25-2014, 04:20 PM

I find the best time to declutter anything is when I'm angry! Clothing, kitchen items, sewing things I know I'll never use... out they go. I tend, however, to be an even-tempered person, so I don't do it very often.