Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: check out those thrift stores

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
    The used clothing is sky high ($3.98 for a man's shirt) that I can get fabric at my LQS for about the same price!
    Goodwill here also sells men's shirts for about $4, but after items are in the store for a certain number of weeks, they get marked down to half price for a week, then marked down to 75% off the following week. When I am looking for men's shirts, I only look at the shirts that are 75% off, or selling for $1.00. I have found that I can get the equivalent of 1 1/2 to 2 yards of fabric out of 1 large , XL or XXL shirt. Last I counted I have almost 100 men's shirts waiting to be used! Guess I had better get using them!

I love going to thrift stores and rescuing things that need to be loved again. My best finds include a working flat press for 12.99, a brand new hand made baby quilt for 7.00, a brand new handmade christmas table runner for 2.99, a Singer 319 in cabinet for 35.00, a tabletop Ott light for 5.00. The list goes on, but those are the things I can remember right off the top of my head.

I just got a new cream wool blanket. I am going to use it for applique after I felt it a bit and for rug hooking.

I also got a brand new brown suede zippered vest that fits great. I love thrift stores.

OMG! I guess I'd better start frequenting Salvation Army and Goodwill! I've never seen a sewing machine there, but may be I'm not in there often enough, and ours is right next door to a Michaels Crafts (oh yarn and odds and ends), and the Goodwill backs up to my daughters favorite sports retailer (Big 5 for soccer stuff). To think I've paid full price for all of my rulers, mats and other 'essentials' ! Wow! Thanks, ladies, this is a great idea! I do use the wicker style baskets from the dollar store, but it never occurred to me that you could find quilting stuff at the thrift store!

I never find anything useful, but I think I don't go often enuf! And I'm always looking for older machines...someday

I have a funny story for you all!

I live in a very small town and we have a great thrift shop run by our Anglican Church. At one time, in the 90's I had them save me silk dress shrits to do a paper peiced wall quilt I wanted to do. (Sadly a ufo, my bad)
    So a few years back I was sending some sewing and quilting stuff their way. My yearly summmer got to clear some of this stuff out.
    Later on that fall I dropped in to have a look around, and one of our ladies was so happy to see me, they had saved a box of stuff for me!

Yep you guessed it, all my stuff save for me! We had a good laugh!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MisDixie View Post
    I have a funny story for you all!

I live in a very small town and we have a great thrift shop run by our Anglican Church. At one time, in the 90's I had them save me silk dress shrits to do a paper peiced wall quilt I wanted to do. (Sadly a ufo, my bad)
    So a few years back I was sending some sewing and quilting stuff their way. My yearly summmer got to clear some of this stuff out.
    Later on that fall I dropped in to have a look around, and one of our ladies was so happy to see me, they had saved a box of stuff for me!

Yep you guessed it, all my stuff save for me! We had a good laugh!
    How nice of them to think of you!!! Thanks for the giggle!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I love going to the thrift stores.
    JuneBillie - In memory of my dear mother June, and my dear mother in law Billie.
    I am thankful for this day My name - Susan

Blog Entries

Dee's Delights

Oh a subject I love....more like obsessed. I love to re-purpose stuff. My whole sewing rm is just about all thrift/yard sales, after all its a hobby so my intention when I moved my ladies cave from a small bedrm to the once never used formal living rm I needed to be creative, its changed a few times over the last couple years but I think I got it now-lol well until I find something I just can't live with out-lol

Not a great pic, grainy phone pic-sorry. I was going to show more but its not letting me. The red hutch was a curbside find, the long buffet cabinet was 8.00 Goodwill, the sewing table was a old ugly one my MIL had, painted blk to match, the wicker shelves-hmm I have been hauling those around for so long I don't remember, they have been repainted so many times...Spray Paint is my love. Love my thrift store finds....1904 singer 40.00 , 1948 singer 25.00 yd sale,1927 New Home 10.00, 2 Singers 401 & 403A less then 150.00 for both and they have cams. Singer 99-31 40.00, and my pride & joy 1891 coffin Top Treadle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    dee fox
    cedar city ut and i am a fabricaholic & i have a few other addictions-scrap booking is right up there w/ fabric

Blog Entries

More of Dee's Delights

Hmm for some reason I was able to upload more then one pic this time....oh well here's more of the rm I spend the most time in.Thanks for looking and the topic.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image 
    dee fox
    cedar city ut and i am a fabricaholic & i have a few other addictions-scrap booking is right up there w/ fabric

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast