Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: check out those thrift stores

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
    The used clothing is sky high ($3.98 for a man's shirt) that I can get fabric at my LQS for about the same price!
    Goodwill here also sells men's shirts for about $4, but after items are in the store for a certain number of weeks, they get marked down to half price for a week, then marked down to 75% off the following week. When I am looking for men's shirts, I only look at the shirts that are 75% off, or selling for $1.00. I have found that I can get the equivalent of 1 1/2 to 2 yards of fabric out of 1 large , XL or XXL shirt. Last I counted I have almost 100 men's shirts waiting to be used! Guess I had better get using them!

I love going to thrift stores and rescuing things that need to be loved again. My best finds include a working flat press for 12.99, a brand new hand made baby quilt for 7.00, a brand new handmade christmas table runner for 2.99, a Singer 319 in cabinet for 35.00, a tabletop Ott light for 5.00. The list goes on, but those are the things I can remember right off the top of my head.

I just got a new cream wool blanket. I am going to use it for applique after I felt it a bit and for rug hooking.

I also got a brand new brown suede zippered vest that fits great. I love thrift stores.

OMG! I guess I'd better start frequenting Salvation Army and Goodwill! I've never seen a sewing machine there, but may be I'm not in there often enough, and ours is right next door to a Michaels Crafts (oh yarn and odds and ends), and the Goodwill backs up to my daughters favorite sports retailer (Big 5 for soccer stuff). To think I've paid full price for all of my rulers, mats and other 'essentials' ! Wow! Thanks, ladies, this is a great idea! I do use the wicker style baskets from the dollar store, but it never occurred to me that you could find quilting stuff at the thrift store!

I never find anything useful, but I think I don't go often enuf! And I'm always looking for older machines...someday

I have a funny story for you all!

I live in a very small town and we have a great thrift shop run by our Anglican Church. At one time, in the 90's I had them save me silk dress shrits to do a paper peiced wall quilt I wanted to do. (Sadly a ufo, my bad)
    So a few years back I was sending some sewing and quilting stuff their way. My yearly summmer got to clear some of this stuff out.
    Later on that fall I dropped in to have a look around, and one of our ladies was so happy to see me, they had saved a box of stuff for me!

Yep you guessed it, all my stuff save for me! We had a good laugh!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MisDixie View Post
    I have a funny story for you all!

I live in a very small town and we have a great thrift shop run by our Anglican Church. At one time, in the 90's I had them save me silk dress shrits to do a paper peiced wall quilt I wanted to do. (Sadly a ufo, my bad)
    So a few years back I was sending some sewing and quilting stuff their way. My yearly summmer got to clear some of this stuff out.
    Later on that fall I dropped in to have a look around, and one of our ladies was so happy to see me, they had saved a box of stuff for me!

Yep you guessed it, all my stuff save for me! We had a good laugh!
    How nice of them to think of you!!! Thanks for the giggle!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I love going to the thrift stores.
    JuneBillie - In memory of my dear mother June, and my dear mother in law Billie.
    I am thankful for this day My name - Susan

Blog Entries

Dee's Delights

Oh a subject I love....more like obsessed. I love to re-purpose stuff. My whole sewing rm is just about all thrift/yard sales, after all its a hobby so my intention when I moved my ladies cave from a small bedrm to the once never used formal living rm I needed to be creative, its changed a few times over the last couple years but I think I got it now-lol well until I find something I just can't live with out-lol

Not a great pic, grainy phone pic-sorry. I was going to show more but its not letting me. The red hutch was a curbside find, the long buffet cabinet was 8.00 Goodwill, the sewing table was a old ugly one my MIL had, painted blk to match, the wicker shelves-hmm I have been hauling those around for so long I don't remember, they have been repainted so many times...Spray Paint is my love. Love my thrift store finds....1904 singer 40.00 , 1948 singer 25.00 yd sale,1927 New Home 10.00, 2 Singers 401 & 403A less then 150.00 for both and they have cams. Singer 99-31 40.00, and my pride & joy 1891 coffin Top Treadle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    dee fox
    cedar city ut and i am a fabricaholic & i have a few other addictions-scrap booking is right up there w/ fabric

Blog Entries

More of Dee's Delights

Hmm for some reason I was able to upload more then one pic this time....oh well here's more of the rm I spend the most time in.Thanks for looking and the topic.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    dee fox
    cedar city ut and i am a fabricaholic & i have a few other addictions-scrap booking is right up there w/ fabric

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast