Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Clean Slate, Finished!! >

Clean Slate, Finished!!

Clean Slate, Finished!!

Old 05-27-2015, 11:19 AM

Default Clean Slate, Finished!!

It took a few weeks longer than planned, once we found that the second floor ceiling/attic floor beams were rotting, but it's finished and we can focus on the next room's remodel, and a new roof! It does look a bit cramped, but I designed the floor plan that way. Since I have two bad hips, a bad back and nerve damage in my right leg, my leg tends to give out from time to time. When that happens, I rely on nearby furniture to reach out for, to break the fall or to prevent the fall. This gives me a nice, ample walkway, with some security. And my sewing area has everything I need in it, in close quarters, so I don't have to get up to get to it. I have two cutting mats, an ironing board, two sewing machines, an embroidery/sewing machine and a serger, all set up and ready to work! And my design wall is right in the area I need it in, too! My youngest DD (age 11 in July) loves to sew and quilt with me, so in this new room she'll have more space, as well. You can see her table, right behind one of the doors, with the kitty cat machine cover.

The store room has ample space to hold all of my sewing patterns (in the large manilla envelopes--I transfer tissue patterns to brown kraft paper to make them last longer and to copy all sizes over), extra battings, all of my quilting magazines and books, and all of my scrapbooking gear.

A few people asked me if I was going to get new furniture when I finished the remodel, but the answer is no. I just can't bring myself to spend the money on actual sewing furniture, so I use a hodge podge of furniture. My actual sewing table, that holds my main machines, is actually a computer kiosk from DH's company. He managed a rent to own company and when they decided to remodel their local stores, they decided to toss out the old stuff. DH was able to get the clearance to take the old kiosk and old coffee station. The coffee station is slightly above kitchen counter level and measures 30"x36"--the exact measurement of my cutting mat! And it has a supporting beam underneath that separates the space beneath it, giving me space on both sides of the beam for sterilite drawers to hold fabrics. These two pieces of furniture alone are sooo steady and are perfect for sewing!

I also find that the 2'x4' tables at Wal-Mart are great for other spaces in the sewing room. I have an extendable height one that holds another cutting mat, at the appropriate height for cutting that won't hurt my back, and I have other ones that hold my serger and embroidery/sewing machine. My DD also has one that she sews on and uses for her cutting mat and ironing board. They're also the tables I use in my scrapbooking station.

Another favorite product of mine is anything made by Sterilite. I buy their clear drawers for holding fabrics, so I always know what I have, and also their drawers for scrapbooking papers and tools.

The rest of the furniture is actually leftovers from other parts of the household. The golden bureau is actually a child's dresser with a small closet. I couldn't toss it out or sell it, though, because it was not only used with both of my daughters, but also myself and six of my eight siblings. I just couldn't pass that on. So, it holds lots of fabrics for me, along with all of the memories.
Attached Thumbnails remodel-1.jpg   remodel-2.jpg   remodel-3.jpg   remodel-4.jpg   remodel-5.jpg  

remodel-6.jpg   remodel-7.jpg   remodel-8.jpg   remodel-9.jpg   remodel-10.jpg  

Old 05-27-2015, 11:21 AM

And here are the last of the pics.
Attached Thumbnails remodel-11.jpg   remodel-12.jpg   remodel-13.jpg   remodel-14.jpg  
Old 05-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Glad you got a remodel and that it is working for you.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

I think you are on your way to having a well organized craft studio. Job well done.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:10 PM

It will work great for you! Love the color and floors.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Looks great and happy it's going to work for you. I only by clear containers unless it's something I won't get into much.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Looks great and happy it's going to work for you. I only by clear containers unless it's something I won't get into much.
Exactly! I have clear totes for the fabrics I get into often, like fleece, and other totes for fabrics, like furs and stretch knits, that I don't use as often. All of my quilting cotton goes into clear drawers that are more of my height level.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:23 PM

WOW - a place for everything and everything in place!!!
Old 05-28-2015, 01:44 AM

Looks great! Want to come organize MY sewing room???? But seriously, I've got to be nosy...What's in the manila envelopes with the numbers on them?
Old 05-28-2015, 04:10 AM

congratulations! now you can reap the benefits of all your work.