Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Closet organization - what does yours look like? >

Closet organization - what does yours look like?

Closet organization - what does yours look like?

Old 12-09-2018, 06:49 AM

Default Closet organization - what does yours look like?

My husband is helping me get my sewing room organized. He typically adds shelving to our closets. I can't seem to decide what would work best, since we're starting from scratch.

I've even considered using cube units from Target, just not sure if open shelving or cubes would work better.

How do you have your closet or storage organized? Pictures would be great! I'm definitely more visual...
Old 12-09-2018, 07:34 AM

Here's mine. I rearrange it to suit what I have.[ATTACH=CONFIG]604996[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]604997[/ATTACH] l
Left and right side of double mirrored slider closet. Left side is a really large bookcase and the right side is an ikea cube I bought used.
Attached Thumbnails sew-closet-l.jpg   sew-closet-r.jpg  
Old 12-09-2018, 07:36 AM

I have modified an existing closet that has bifold doors and a hanging rod with a shelf above that. I used three sets of those plastic drawer units that have wheels (I didn't use the wheels). I put a shelf plank under them for even support. Then I put another plank/shelf across the top of them for stability. On top of this area I have stackable boxes of projects to one side and on the other side a stack of boxes with a flip lid (that used to hold chocolate bars for kids to sell) - these ones hold my fat quarter collection. In the middle of this area I have iris boxes stacked for collections of fabrics or in progress projects. This fills the area below the upper shelf. I took down the hanging rod as I had no use for it. On the upper shelf I put yardage, mostly organized by theme or type. This is in shoe box sized clear containers so I can see it. In the drawer units I have various things stored in the individual drawers - one for pre cuts, one for larger scraps (the smaller scraps go elsewhere), supplies such as zippers, buttons, purse hardware etc.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:56 AM

I have way too much stuff to put in a closet. Currently, a double closet and single closet in the adjoining bathroom are full of yardage hanging on hangers roughly organized by color and fabric type. All my smaller cuts are in plastic boxes on shelves starting about 5 foot off the floor and going to the ceiling on 2 walls. I have some plastic frames with 4 slide out boxes holding small items on the lower shelf over my sewing machines. In addition I have a wire basket set in a frame under my small cutting table the is packed with fabric. I like the way the it looks organized in a closet but I just don't have enough room.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:02 AM

I have open shelves in my closet. My fabric is all in plastic tubs, the med size ones. The big tubs are too big for the shelves and are too heavy with fabric added.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:26 AM

Wow! y'all are so organized! I applaud and envy you! My stash (SABLE!!) is still all over the place.. closet, shelves, and floor!
Old 12-09-2018, 11:50 AM

I have the closet made systems in our closets and also the pantry. I like this system as you install the top rod across the width of closet. Then add the uprights that hold brackets and shelves. The shelves come in different depths. You can have the hardware guy to cut the shelves to length at the store. Just a note to take an inch off the width measurement so it will fit into the space easily.

These shelves are easy to change as storage needs change. The initial cost is approx $300 per closet. I never have to bother DH to change or move a shelf.

If you are installing this system into drywall, I recommend using wall anchors like this. If you need help or tips send me a pm.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/E-Z-Ancor-5...cluded/1098803

Here is a pic of the type I use.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMa...2845/206469229
Old 12-10-2018, 04:18 AM

I have a tiny closet which fits under the staircase...about 44" x 60". Bought two heavy duty shelf units from the hardware store and they fit in the closet L-shaped. My two extra sewing machines are on the bottom shelf to anchor them and my various quilt batting is on one unit of shelves and the other shelf unit is used for UFO'S that I found. I also have room for a few bolts of fabric and my spray starch bottles. All of my fabric is stored by color in two chest on chest dressers that sit in the sewing room.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:04 AM

This is my closet. I had the shelves built to accommodate the rolling drawer units that I already had. Shelves are adjustable so that my project boxes can fit without wasting space. I wanted a very small hanging rod to hang my hanging shoe organizer that I use to store stabilizers in.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605093[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3957.jpg  
Old 12-10-2018, 07:29 AM

I would do open shelves I love mine .