Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Comic boards vs. stacking >

Comic boards vs. stacking

Comic boards vs. stacking

Old 12-27-2015, 08:35 PM

Default Comic boards vs. stacking

I know there are many wonderful examples and tutorials on folding stash fabric over comic boards.
My stash closet is getting out of hand . We converted the entire closet in my sewing room to shelving. My stash is currently all stacked in piles that were neat. The more I rifle through stuff the messier it gets. I can tell this is not a long term solution. I was wondering if folding the fabric over comic boards saves space? I am thinking of starting this process but I am afraid of discovering I no longer have enough room for my complete stash.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:11 PM

I just reuse cardboard. I don't plan on having the fabric around forever and any cardboard made here does not have acid. I like to wrap my fabrics so I don't have to make a mess when looking for the perfect fabric
Old 12-27-2015, 09:17 PM

I have no idea what space would be saved or lost, I have both folded and on boards. The folded, as you know, have a tendency to get messy. My boards don't. So the choice is simple for me. I use foam coir boards I get from the $ store, and cut to the size I want and reuse.

Last edited by Gramie bj; 12-27-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:50 PM

I use the comic book boards because when I had it folded and stacked I couldn't see what I had. I like to keep the greens with the greens and the blues with the blues, etc. Also, I keep mine in plastic totes and section them off by color and theme (i.e.: Christmas is separate as is Halloween and Thanksgiving fabric because I have so much of each. I do have a few pieces of 5 yards or more that I do keep folded and separate from other fabric that I bought on sale or for a specific purpose and do not want to cut small pieces off.

When I converted my stash from folding to comic book boards it took a long time. I bought 100 boards, ended up going back 3 times to get more. (The store is only a mile from my house.) I can't remember how long it actually took because it seemed as I went along I kept rearranging it. It certainly was more than a couple days.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 12-27-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:02 PM

I like the way it looks as well. I guess all there is to do is give it a try. Thanks, ladies.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:35 PM
Power Poster

I like to be able to see what I gave and easily access it. Anything over 1 yd is stored on the boards and in my cupboard with doors.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:34 PM

My stash currently fits in the closet albeit tightly. If I start with boards I am afraid i would spend a lot of time and effort on it but wind up with a lot of extra fabric I wouldnt have a home for-- that it wouldn't all fit back in there . That's why I was hoping someone went thru the process and ( ideally) discovered that boarding the fabric actually saves space in the end.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:33 AM

Maybe a stupid question but what are comic boards?
Old 12-28-2015, 04:18 AM

KittyD, comic boards you buy at a store that handles old comic books. They use these board to store the comic books.
Usually, come in 300 or 500 pkgs.

riverandwoods, I put shelves in my closet, put the material on boards (was in totes) and yes in was worth the time.
I had a lot more room and could find my colors of material better. My larger pieces I folded and put on the top shelf. Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:53 AM

Guess I'm the odd one out here. I had my fabric on comic boards then decided it wasn't for me. Too much folding and unfolding. I went back to ruler folding and had a lot more space for my fabric.