Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Craft/Sewing Room Update #5:  Drywall >

Craft/Sewing Room Update #5: Drywall

Craft/Sewing Room Update #5: Drywall

Old 01-19-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by cousinpenny View Post
What a dream place! ! ! Shelves are a great place to put a small collection of sewing related items. I am collecting the small combo pincushion/tape measure items from days gone by. Don't have a lot and have a couple small shelves that hold them near the sewing machine. Gives the MIL something to get me for the holidays.

Suggestions (or did you think about) 1.Insulating the walls better by the furnace with sound proofing? 2. Will the bifold door be covered with cork so you could make a dream board to pin things on? 3. Sliding doors for your closet that could pull out from the place you are putting shelves which could be your layout wall....they slide away to the right so you can see the fabulous fabric stored in the closet. Your guy is doing a tremendous job. I'm sure the wait is going to be worth it. I have tradesman in the family (carpenter, plumber, electrician) and grew up learning about what it takes to do a good job the right way.
These are all great ideas. I did think about the insultation on the furnace wall, but I had a set budget in mind and wanted to stick to it, so some things had to go. I'm excited about the shelves actually, because I also do scrapbooking and I have some really pretty containers of paper and dried flowers that I can put on there. I also have a bunch of old wooden spools that I will put in a glass jar. And there are all kinds of knick-nacks and whatists that I can put there as well.

I'm going to use the wall that divides the furnace area from the new room as a design wall. I was thinking that I would get a long drapery rod and hang it neat the ceiling. I bought some curtain rings with clips on them, and my plan is to use a flannel sheet for the design wall that I can just push back behind the family room door when I am not using it. (I don't know if I will ever not be using it, but for now I am enjoying entertaining the thought that the room will be neat and tidy always!)

My guy is doing a great job. I got 6 quotes for this work. He was recommended to me by a friend who has used him a couple of times. My friend's husband is just about as anal as they come, so I knew that if he was happy with my guy, I would be happy with my guy. And it just happened that his was the lowest quote, although it was the personnal recommendation that got him the job. It was between him and a guy who was $2,000 more.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
WooHoo!! It's looking good. I've been following your updates. I'm getting my own space too but it will be half of the new garage. Will be lined and air-conditioned with a couple of sky -domes, as well as plenty of lighting. Slab goes down next weekend. You must be beside yourself with excitement.
Oh, how nice for you and I love that you can have skylights, that's terrific. You'll have to post pictures for us as the work progresses, I love watching projects as they take shape.

I see that you are in Brisbane - I was there for Expo in 1988 and thought it was a really great city. Also good that you will get the A/C for your room - you need it there!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 AM

Can you still put a light in the closet so that you can see colors well in there without pulling out the tub of fabric???

Don't know if you got the message about the laundry chute in the laundry area.....we use ours all of the time and love it...just let it empty into a laundry basket down in the laundry room...

This is looking great and he is working fast...hmmm---send him my way,,,,need new kitchen counters..and ceramic tile in a bathroom..
Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 AM

Been following your progress and it's looking great. Being a carpenter's wife, I love looking at work-in-progress. If I understand your cabinet / duct work correctly, he's going to butt the cabinets close to the duct work but not covering them. Then cover the duct work. This would leave a small gap between the wall and the cabinets. A suggestion might be putting a couple of shelves in that empty space. Then it would look like it was planned.

Just a thought. Looking great -- can't wait to see the finished room!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin View Post
Can you still put a light in the closet so that you can see colors well in there without pulling out the tub of fabric???

Don't know if you got the message about the laundry chute in the laundry area.....we use ours all of the time and love it...just let it empty into a laundry basket down in the laundry room...

This is looking great and he is working fast...hmmm---send him my way,,,,need new kitchen counters..and ceramic tile in a bathroom..
I thought about a light in the closet but opted not to do it. It was a cost consideration. I did see your suggestion about the laundry chute and would love one! My house was built 4 years ago, and a chute was not in the design. To put one in now would require opening up walls on my main and 2nd stories, and even then I don't know if the wall cavities would be large enough for the size needed to install a chute. My main floor is open concept and only has one wall dividing the living/dining room and kitchen. I know from the plans that this is my mechanical wall, so all my ducts, plumbing, etc. run inside here. I doubt there is room for a laundry chute here as it is only about 12" wide.

I know that older homes sometimes had them, and I don't know why this stopped as it seems like a great idea to me. Many newer homes have the laundry on the main or second floor (my last house had it on the main floor). While I like the idea of having it on the second floor, if there was ever a burst pipe or other accident, the flood damage could potentially extend to the basement, so I'm not a huge proponent. (Although, as I have rheumatoid arthritis, lugging the laundry basket up and down two flights is getting harder all the time...).
Old 01-19-2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by vickig626 View Post
Been following your progress and it's looking great. Being a carpenter's wife, I love looking at work-in-progress. If I understand your cabinet / duct work correctly, he's going to butt the cabinets close to the duct work but not covering them. Then cover the duct work. This would leave a small gap between the wall and the cabinets. A suggestion might be putting a couple of shelves in that empty space. Then it would look like it was planned.

Just a thought. Looking great -- can't wait to see the finished room!!!
Lucky you, being a carpenter's wife! We are going to put shelves in that space, and build a small bulkhead around the ducts. He said he would have been able to accomodate one of the ducts in a cabinet, but not two as the second one projects more than 12" from the cabinet wall, and as such the second duct would have to be cut around the cabinet door and that would look stupid. (As well as not being functional.)
Old 01-19-2012, 10:48 AM

Do you think you are beginning to see the light at the end of this tunnel? Soon you will be installed in this room and your finest work will bwegin again. Lucky You!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM

Lucky me too. My husband and I recaptured the game room above the shop. Repainted, pulled up the carpet and put down laminate flooring. Still needs A/C but it has a pellet stove I can use. I share it with him since he wanted half for wine tasting and TV watching while I have the other half to cram all my sewing things and a HUGE stash of fabrics into. My seven 7' bookshelves hold most of my fabric and the two small closets hold batting and other craft stuff. I look forward to seeing the next stages.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM

It is really looking great! I love the updates!
Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 AM

Coming right along. Congratulations!