Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Design wall

Design wall

I have a small sewing room and have very little room to layout a queen size quilt. I would like to have a design wall, but want to spend as little as possible. Does anyone have a good but cheap suggestions?

Thanks, Beth

I do not have room for a design wall either. What I do is lay a flannel backed tablecloth on my bed and use that. So far I have not made a queen sized quilt using this method, but when I do, I will lay it on the floor. It folds up great and nothing comes off the flannel. I used to lay my queen size quilts on the floor, but never again. I guess regular flannel would work good too, but the plastic gives it good support.

Banned
    I just hang a large peice of fleece on my wall with thumbtacks. You can do the same with flannel.
    most things will stick to it and as the quilt gets sewn together and gets larger I use pins to hold it up on the fleece wall.

I have flannel on plyboard, works great.

My friend uses a roll up shade that she glued flannel to. Rolls up under the window treatment when not in use. Good luck.
    Linda

I use foam board that I got at Home Depot.....you can cut the 4X8 sheets to any size.

I use a double layer of foam core that came in some package... mine only measures about 44x44 inches...

My next ones will be a roll up shade... I love that idea!

I covered the double closet doors in my sewing room with flannel.

A friend of mine had double closet doors in her room, but not alot of room for a design board. So she bought one of the Fons & Porter's design walls and attached it to hooks above her closet door. I think she may have attached a dowel rod on the bottom. When she's finished using it she just rolls it up and fastens it with ribbon. It stays unwrinkle and is out of the way when she's not using it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
    A friend of mine had double closet doors in her room, but not alot of room for a design board. So she bought one of the Fons & Porter's design walls and attached it to hooks above her closet door. I think she may have attached a dowel rod on the bottom. When she's finished using it she just rolls it up and fastens it with ribbon. It stays unwrinkle and is out of the way when she's not using it.
    Love this idea - I'm stealing it! Already have a set in place design wall, pink styrofoam insulation wrapped in felt. It's 4x8 feet and nice when I have to hang a whole quilt - I can pin to the styrofoam, but this idea is good for a temporary second design wall over my closet doors! thanks.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast