Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Does anyone sew standing up? >

Does anyone sew standing up?

Does anyone sew standing up?

Old 06-26-2016, 04:11 PM

Default Does anyone sew standing up?

I cannot seem to get comfy in my sewing room. Keep wondering if there is a better way to organize it. The table for my machine does not feel big enough. My cutting table is up on risers, and it makes me think that if the sewing table and cutting table were the same height, maybe I could butt them up against each other and use them together. But then the sewing table would have to be higher. I have seen Jenny from MIssouri Star sew standing up. Has anyone set up their sewing machine so you stand up to sew? If so, would you please share about what height your machine is at, and how well it works for you. Do you ever use a chair? If so, do you have a foot stool for your feet?
Old 06-26-2016, 04:46 PM

We have an adjustable height cutting table, and I put my machine on it "just for a few seams" while I was working on a project. I found it was much more comfortable to sew, and I didn't have to get up and down when working on several small blocks (365 challenge). I haven't moved it back to the desk yet, though I will eventually depending on what I'm doing. I love sewing that way.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:14 PM

I have not tried it, but I wonder if one of these desks would work?
https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-He...+stand+up+desk
Old 06-26-2016, 08:41 PM

I haven't tried sewing that way but when I had an adjustable desk at work I would put it up and work standing up for a while. But that was telephone and computer work. At home I don't have any place I could do it.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:23 PM

I'm not a stander I prefer to sit even if I have to keep getting up. If you are comfortable standing do it. I saw a computer programme which was having the work force stand to improve work. Can't remember if they did it all day or just in time frames. Their productivity improved when standing. Go for it.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:27 PM

do you have 2 machines? one for standing and one for sitting....a nice change for your back.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:40 AM

Recently I put my work table (read "extra dining table")on bed risers to raise it up. Then I brought my sewing machine over to machine quilt a project, and I found that it really worked for me to sew this way. I don't know if I will leave it this way forever, but for this project, it was great. (I have a Janome 6600 which has a finger control option to use instead of a foot pedal, so I use my feet for standing.) I'm not sewing much right now, since it is "gardening season," but may continue to use it this way in the fall to get a better feeling for my preferences.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:52 AM
Power Poster

I sewed a large heavy t-shirt quilt standing up at my large cutting table. It was certainly a different way of quilting. There are all these adjustable desk that one can stand up that seem to be very popular with the younger generation.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:00 AM
Power Poster

I use a hand crank sewing machine while standing up. I find it hard to use a foot pedal and stand though.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:24 AM

I have 2 machines (1 upstairs and 1 down) that are on desks (the downstairs one surrounded on all sides for quilt support); I sit to sew at those machines. I have other machines that I use for other tasks and I put whichever one I need on a back corner of my cutting table, nearest the elect. outlet and I sew there standing up. It works very well and the lighting is better; I don't need a supplemental lamp there. It might be just the fact that the machines I use there have the old type light bulbs in them. My tabletop is 38" from the floor; add 4" of machine bed/acrylic surround, so 42" from floor is where I'm sewing. I'm about 64" or 65" tall, I think.

Edit: No footstool at my upstairs machine, but the quilting machine downstairs is on a desk that has shelves, so its foot control sits on the bottom shelf, only a few inches from the floor. No stool or chair at the cutting table, though ... strictly standing up with foot control on the floor.

Last edited by weezie; 06-27-2016 at 04:31 AM.