Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fabric Organization

I sort yardage by color and keep stored in Lawyer's bookcases with a few exceptioons. Christmas fabric has it's own Sterlite box, FQs all together, and feedsacks in their own box. Find what works for YOU - Good luck!
    ~~ Butterflies can't see their wings.
    They can't see how truly beautiful they are,
    but everyone else can. People are kinda like that. ~~

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deedum View Post
    Wow, how organized is that! What a super fabulous room!

Thanks.. I love my lil getaway.. And when its a mess ( when isnt it.. ) i just close the room door..

I love all this organization...=) How I would love to get into all that!

http://www.sewwequilt.com/2010/10/we...ar-drawer.html
    A bed without a Quilt is like a Sky without Stars..Sew On!

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    So far I ruler fold and sort by colors.
    That seems to work best for me too.

Blog Entries
    I am pretty much doing this exact thing right now.. Also using the comic boards but I am cutting them down a little so that I can fit them neatly into bins .. I have spent days going thru scraps, sorting, triming and squaring up into different sizes, strips and squares.. put each size into different containers..
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan quilter View Post
    I agree with DonnaR, to sort by yardage and then by color. That works best for me also. I am also in the process of wrapping my fabric on boards, so a great time to get the yardage sorted. I do the under 1 yard, 1>3 yards, and over 3 yards. I have fat quarters and will just put them on a shelf as is. Not rewrapping them. But you need to do what works best for you and your space. Have fun.

What size ruler do you use?
    Irma

Since quilting isn't my only passion, I sort by type, then by color. I don't have a lot of Christmas fabric so it is in one of those zipper pouches linens come in from the store. Some of my larger pieces are having in the closet. Knits are in their own stacking unit and cottons for specific projects are in their own bin. Wools, bottom weights and upholstery fabric are in bins out in the storage room off the garage. Depending on where your creative focus is, some things that work for others might not work for you but hopefully you will find lots of suggestions here to try. Just have fun and let the creative juices flow!
    Maybe some day it will all be nice and fancy!

Slowly getting back into the swing of things!

I organize mine by color.....

I organize mine by color. This works the best for me, personally. I have the cube bins from target. My craft room is painted lavendar so I alternated pink and lavendar bins and used jumbo bottlecaps to label the bins. I love bottlecaps so I thought this was a nice way to label them. I have mostly cotton but there's a special bin for fur or specialty fabrics. I put most of the fabrics in with the cotton though. I make a lot of fabric bows and brooches and tend to grab by color so that is why it works for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

If I have faced the situation as you have then I will arrange the fabric through different colors with their theme. Make a list of all colors of fabric and arrange them according to their size also. Design also does a matter to store the fabrics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2