Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric Sorting

I keep collections together, then by yardage (under 1, 1 to 2, 2+, then big enough for a backing), I then fold to a set size that will fit the drawer or shelf,, then sort colors. This way when I am putting fabric together for a quilt, I have some idea of how big each piece is. This has been working for me, although I still have several totes to unpack ans add in.

I'm in the process of organizing my fabrics as well. I found this tutorial about folding and storing fabric. The blogger uses comic book backing boards. Here is the link:

http://cuttopieces.blogspot.com/2011...-tutorial.html

I tried this and it works really well. The backing board is archival safe so it won't damage your fabric. I tend to sort all my fabrics by color unless it is themed like X-Mas or Halloween fabrics.

I don't have a vast stash, but I organise it by keeping themes (e.g. childrens, Christmas) together and otherwise by colour.
    Quilting is my vice

Live well, laugh often, love much

Blog Entries
    I also use Comic Backing Board. Instead of using pins, I use Large Plastic Paper Clips. I use the small curve of the Clip to go over the back of the board between the fabric and the board, and the large end goes over the front of the board over the fabric. I cut my backing board 4 x 6 1/2 (Fat Quarters) and 7 x 11 1/2 for yardage. I don't have a different room for sewing and my space is small. My fabric is in tubs. This fits in the tubs well. When I get (HA HA) my sewing room and get a bookshelf I can then transfer the boards to the shelves. I sort by theme, color. When I am working on a special project (BOM Houses) I put all the different fabrics together that I will be using. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I like to keep my collections together. Everything else is sorted by colour mostly. Theme fabric like Christmas is together regardless of colour. I also store yardage separate from pieces. Pieces are fair game for any project but I try to save yardage for a big project or backing. A new studio, how exciting!
    This is EXACTLY how I do it, and I have more time to sew since I didn't have to type it all out!
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean????

Me neither.

recently had to move mine so did some sorting. Have bags with checks, stripes and plaids, containers with themed fabrics, solids and small print floral. smaller pieces in two 4 drawer plastic stands by color. Big stuff on boards stacked where I can see them. seems to be working so far.

you're funny....smile

that was for RugosaB smile

Blog Entries
    I sort mine by color also. Then by size. I try to keep all the smaller pieces and scraps by color, but that gets hard sometimes. Seasonal by holiday or whatever no matter what the color.
    Bonnie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by babyboomerquilter View Post
    I sort mine by color also. Then by size. I try to keep all the smaller pieces and scraps by color, but that gets hard sometimes. Seasonal by holiday or whatever no matter what the color.
    I do the same thing! BTW - is that a Maltese in your avatar? See my avatar, and you'll know why I ask!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast