Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric Sorting

Fabric Sorting

I am in the process of setting up my new quilting studio. I have a pretty large stash of fabrics. I now have plenty of cabinet space to organize it. I can't decide how to set up the space. Should I sort by color, type of fabric, collections etc.

Power Poster
    I like to keep my collections together. Everything else is sorted by colour mostly. Theme fabric like Christmas is together regardless of colour. I also store yardage separate from pieces. Pieces are fair game for any project but I try to save yardage for a big project or backing. A new studio, how exciting!

Oh, I am so excited!!! I'll have to post pics when I'm done. That's pretty much the way I was thinking of doing it.

Blog Entries
    Congrats on the new space. Need pics!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I do the same. Collections together then sorted by color. I use the boards sold by one of our board members. Saves so much space.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...EFCC47044D.png
    You only go around once in life, but if you do it right, once is enough!

Blog Entries
    I made my own boards. I just picked up the bolt cardboard they throw away at JoAnn's and cut into 4 even size pieces and fold fabric in 1/2 clamp to my cutting table and fold it around it. Then it can stand in a bookshelf or as of right now in tubs that I can see in.

Thanks Amy,

I like that idea.

Blog Entries
    Whatever you do in your organization of your fabrics, be consistant. I know first hand what not doing that looks like-------still a mess!! Good Luck!!
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

I sort my fabric by length/size, fat quarters, less than 1/2 yd, 1/2 yd, 1 yd, 1.5 yd, 2 yd, etc. I sort by color within that size. I don't have the size stash that some have, a a 5 shelf book case 3 feet wide and a couple of shelves on another book case. Thats for quilts. I have a tub of doll and bear makings, a tub of fancy fabrics for Crazy quilts, and a tub of clothing fabrics, from when I made all my own clothes. Then there are the cross stitch fabrics, floss, beads, and on and on. No wonder I moved all the quilting material ( both sane and crazy) to my studio, and the rest is out in the shed.
    http://www.SueLynnDesigns.blogspot.com/
    http://www.tangledthreads-beads.blogspot.com

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
    Albert Einstein

LOL. It's amazing what we accumulate. Sure as the world we get rid of it, we'll need it next week.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast