Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Hanging folder fabric storage? >

Hanging folder fabric storage?

Hanging folder fabric storage?

Old 10-03-2013, 04:59 AM

Default Hanging folder fabric storage?

Can someone help me? Somewhere -- I think on this board -- I saw a description of using a file cabinet with hanging folders for fabric storage. I now have two file cabinets I can re-purpose for fabric storage but can't remember how the fabric was set up. I tried folding and just hanging over the folders but some slipped off. I've done a search, but still can't find the post I remember.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:07 AM

Never mind -- I found a link to another site. I'm going to try this out later today.
http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2012...ur-fabric.html
The larger pieces are not just draped over the file folder, but are folded, similar to ruler folding.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

I remember the post but not the title. Never mind, I see you found it.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:50 AM

I love your Avatar!! Beautiful picture!!
Old 10-04-2013, 05:26 AM

Nice idea!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:17 AM

That is really clever. I have run out of room in desk drawers, closet is bursting with bags of batting, and I didn't want to get more plastic drawers or tubs. I can bring home a file cabinet from work, and I've got enough pentaflex folders - the old ugly green kind. Hmmmmm. In fact, it would give me more room to STORE FABRIC I HAVENT EVEN BOUGHT YET!!!!! YAHOO!
PS love your bat - it looks a lot bigger than the bats here in New England. Our barn bats are quite small and cute.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:48 AM

I use two large hanging folder cabinets that I got at a salvage place. 4 large deep drawers and a shelf on the top. I only fold the fabric and pack it in rows on the side so I can quickly see the fabric. The best thing about the cabinets is that you can only have one drawer open at a time so it forces me to close them all the way. It is a work in progress. Right now everything is in colors. I hope (in my spare time now that I am retired-HA!) to then organize the colors by print, type, etc. I still have many plastic bins of fabrics to separate. When my son was still at home, we got one for his bedroom and it worked out great. He took it to college and figured out how to disable the drawers.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:00 AM
KLO

Karen at Sew Many Ways always seems to have such great ideas for organizing and for "other" tools that become quilting/sewing tools instead. She has a great blog to follow. Thanks for reminding me of this.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:20 PM

Really interesting idea. Thanks for asking about it and thanks to all who responded.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:29 PM

I had planned on using two small lightweight two-drawer file cabinets I had, but yesterday when running to town I passed an outdoor sale and there stood a heavy duty black 4 drawer one. $25.00 later and very nice neighbours who picked it up and delivered it, I now have a 25" deep cabinet. 8 feet of potential storage with a very small footprint. And there were 60 hanging file folders in it. And the original two I was planning on using are empty and waiting to be filled as well. Wow!

AND at the same sale I found an almost new bread making machine for $5.00. Bread is baking as I type. I made out like a bandit! I'm planning on folding fabric tomorrow and will post a pic of my progress.