Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
has anyone made a Large sewing table? >

has anyone made a Large sewing table?

has anyone made a Large sewing table?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:27 PM

Y'all are great. Thanks for the ideas. I'm now going downstairs to sit next to DH with my drawing, a borrowed book about perfect quilt spaces and my big eyes to find out when we can get started!!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:54 AM

50x90x29 is a huge size to get around corners, through hallways and doorways. I'd really recommend making it in 2 sections that can be fastened together. 50x45x29 should go around most corners and doorways.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 AM

I had an old heavy 30x60 table with fold out legs. My DH put 1-1/4" PVC pipe (probably 8-9" tall) on legs to raise it to a good height for me. He then purchased two of the white pieces of wood 2x4' (It's like finished shelving) and glued those two together with gorilla glue and placed on top of table. I now have a 4x6' table for cutting, stacking the cut pieces, etc. with lots of room. I do not have my machine on that. My table is against the wall. We may put "rails" on the under side of purchased white pieces in case I want to move the table away from the wall to walk around it. This would keep it from sliding. I have 2 lg green cutting mats on top, rulers & templates I use often and love it. I am using the sterlite rolling cabinets under for storage. The white cube boxes would work well, too.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 AM

My husband made mine from a sheet of plywood, 4 ft by 8 ft, and I love it. The base is in 2 sections, held in place underneath with C clamps. 2 layers of shelves underneath, on very large casters. The top is all one solid piece, that lifts off, and has the well for my machine. The corners were rounded off and everything was sanded as smooth as glass and then stained and sealed. He even designed it so I have leg room underneath. It never jiggles when I sew and does not give when I am cutting fabric. He did not have a pattern, designed it himself.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 AM

My brother built this table for me. I love it. It has lots of room for a large quilt, and acts as my cutting, sandwiching and quilting table. The extra table space to the left of the machine slides in and out. I had my local glass store cut a plexiglass insert to fit around my machine for a couple dollars. Add I got one insert with no cut out so it makes a nice smooth table top when I'm not using the machine, such as for sandwiching. The supplies cost about $100. I chose a laminated plywood for the top so its finished and smooth. I bought the plans online at Keepsake Quilting.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-table-plans.jpg  
Old 01-29-2014, 09:20 AM

Wow, all these ideas are super. I am so glad you asked the question. I am thinking of redoing my room but just can't get it all in my head yet. Posts like these really help things along. Thanks again to all of you.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I'm lucky to have a large sewing desk, but I found something similar to what you're asking about on a blog. She doesn't have a drop down for her machine, but she does have 6 legs on it for support. http://theborrowedabode.com/2012/12/...ble-with-trim/
I just love your table that gives me something to think about I need a new one myself thanks for sharing
Old 01-29-2014, 05:12 PM

I had a table made for me. It was a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood with a cut out for my sewing machine. The table was on 2 open ended "boxes" that were made of plywood. They had 2 shelves each and were not both the same size. They needed to be different sizes to make enough room for my feet.
It worked really well. Unfortunately I can't use it right now, I don't have enough space in this house. Someday....
I'll try to find a photo.
Cindy
Old 01-29-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
I've discovered that the perfect height for my sewing machine is 29 inches, so kitchen cabinets won't work underneath because they are too tall. I want to be able to put drawers under both sides for storage.

Michelle
My husband put drawers on each side by buying the regular kitchen cabinets, but cutting off the toe kick. He made a 2" high platform that I put the foot pedal of the machine on because it still ended up about 2" too high for shortee me.
I thought cutting off the toe kick would be harder than it was, but after watching him do it, it wasn't. We bought the unfinished cabinets at Lowe's.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
I'm trying to come up with how to make a large (approx 50x90) sewing table on the cheap. My DH will cut the place out for the sewing machine to drop in. I've discovered that the perfect height for my sewing machine is 29 inches, so kitchen cabinets won't work underneath because they are too tall. I want to be able to put drawers under both sides for storage.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've got the bee in my bonnet and won't be able to concentrate on anything else until I get this planned.

Michelle
How about saw horses and an old door? Easy to move, large enough.