Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
has anyone made a Large sewing table? >

has anyone made a Large sewing table?

has anyone made a Large sewing table?

Old 01-28-2014, 08:15 AM

Default has anyone made a Large sewing table?

I'm trying to come up with how to make a large (approx 50x90) sewing table on the cheap. My DH will cut the place out for the sewing machine to drop in. I've discovered that the perfect height for my sewing machine is 29 inches, so kitchen cabinets won't work underneath because they are too tall. I want to be able to put drawers under both sides for storage.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've got the bee in my bonnet and won't be able to concentrate on anything else until I get this planned.

Michelle
Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 AM

My table was made for me. I don't have any drawers in it but that sounds nice. Here are a couple of things to think about. If it's that long it needs extra support or the table vibrates as you sew. My guy put extra support around 3 sides of the table leaving 1 side for my legs to go under. When I have a quilt friend over she sits on the opposite side of the table at the other end BUT she bangs her knees on the reinforcement...something to watch out for. Also make sure you have enough room to raise or lower your chair as needed. I raise mine when I'm FMQing (it's easier on my shoulders). I put a 3 drawer plastic container under my table at 1 end instead of built-ins.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 AM

48X90 is a sheet of plywood round off corners just a bit so things don't snag, sand edges, check second hand stores for kitchen drawers or chest of drawers you can cut down to fit your height.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:33 AM

I'm lucky to have a large sewing desk, but I found something similar to what you're asking about on a blog. She doesn't have a drop down for her machine, but she does have 6 legs on it for support. http://theborrowedabode.com/2012/12/...ble-with-trim/
Old 01-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

That'd be about the right height to slide double drawer filing cabinets under.

While a 50"x90" surface might be perfect, you might want to think on the long term as to whether it is practical. Eg. if you move ... or if you want to change the layout of your room. We quilters do tend to change things, when we get better ideas, or see that our needs have changed.

Also, it puts it all at one height ... if you are wanting this one table as a cutting and sandwiching surface, ergonomically, the heights for those two are usually higher than for sitting to sew.

You might want to consider separate pieces, that could butt up to each other for one continuous surface when needed, but when apart the legs could be extended or bed risers used , to give the additional height.

Just some thoughts ... and yes, maybe you have thought this thru and know that one continuous is what you want/need.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:40 AM

I am using the table from my old patio set.It holds the large cutting mat from JoAnns and I have it on those bed raiser things. Do not have sewing machine set in though cause it is glass top but a good way to recycle.Good luck. Show pictures when you finally settle in.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:08 PM

I think the cubes I used for my cutting table are about 14.5" tall which would make a surface just over the 29" you require. Here's the thread with my table: http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...e-t239351.html
Old 01-28-2014, 03:14 PM
yel

plywood comes in 4'x 8' you could use part of a sheet and put hinges on so you can use it or drop it when not in use ....i hit the re-stores,good will , or salvation army and see if they have any thing for a base i have bookcases under my cutting table ...
Old 01-28-2014, 03:16 PM
yel

oh ...i just came from biglots the bed risers are $5.there .....
Old 01-28-2014, 03:30 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Bookcases and metal filing cabinets under would be great for storage...