Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: help making ironing board

help making ironing board

Where do you find the fabric to make the large ironing boards??
    Is it specificate for ironing boards ??
    Thank You

Are you loking for the fabric that reflects heat?I made a small ironing service using a wood T.V. tray and 100 % cotton batting and then covered with heavy dec. fabric and set it next to sewing machine area to iron as I piece,it works great. Would think same would work for ironing board.Joann fabrics sells the reflector fabric,it's what you would use for potholders.Download coupon first.
    Retta97

I buy the silver ironing board fabric at Joann's. They have it online too.

I've heard of a people using canvas, duck cloth, reflective material, etc. I just used an old sheet and made a "pillowcase" type slipcover. I covered the board with thick batting first and then just slip the cover on and tuck the open end under. Works great.
    SittingPretty

I bought cotton duck. Covered the board with batt and then stapled the cotton duck on the back pulling tightly as if you were upholstering. Then I sprayed the cotton duck with lots of water and let it dry. Makes for a very tight covering.

I made mine with a square board 2 ft. square. Then I fold an old heavy towel in half, sew the sides together. Slipped it over my board. Made a cover with old sweatshirt material. It works fine and I haven't had any problems.
    learn each and every day,memories or play.

Blog Entries
    I made a big board out of 3/4" plywood to sit on top of my ironing board. The bottom has "guides" to hold it in place and prevent slipping. It is covered in aluminum foil, then a layer of thin batting and finally a fabric top, all stapled tightly around to the back. The fabric is some that I had found in a clearance bin at WalMart and bought with the thought of making some tote bags. I no longer remember what it is, but it's heavier and more like a denim than lightweight cotton. I'm very conscious of always lifting my iron to sit on its stand and don't leave it hot side down where I might scorch the ironing board or start a fire. If you make yourself a big board, you will LOVE it!!!
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LGbXou_u4c
    Sharon Schamber shows her method of making a pressing surface. I've made one 24" by 48" and covered it with a "pillowcase" made from canvas (cheaper if purchased from an art store, but fabric stores carry it).

Blog Entries
    Fabric all at Joanns everything you need .

You may be surprised at the price of the silver reflective fabric at Joanns...price has gone through the roof. I am in need to replace mine and am planning on going with Muslin, I'm going to make it with a string loop so i can remove and wash.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast