Helpful book found

Old 05-01-2016, 10:58 PM

Default Helpful book found

Lois Hallock was a presenter at a recent local quilt show. Her ideas on "Creating Your Perfect Quilting Space" go a lot farther than just furnishings. Have you ever thought about how high things should be for your body size? Am I allowed to recommend her book here? It isn't new; the copyright is 2005, but I hadn't seen it before and am finding it very informative.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:10 AM

I bought that book when it came out. I still love flipping through the pages and looking at the photos. You are correct, it really offers sound advice.
sandy
Old 05-02-2016, 05:21 AM

It's a wonderful book. Thanks for reminding me - my space is starting to get a little out of control - time for a refresher course.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:58 AM

Yes, that book is terrific. One of my "keepers" after attempting to clean out my collection! There are many used copies on Amazon... really inexpensive, if anyone's interested.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:39 AM

DH and his friend finished half of our basement into a great sewing space in 2007. Bless them! I used Lois Hallock's book as a guide for deciding on the layout for the LA machine, sewing machine serger and so on. She encouraged using what was already available. The only purchases I made were shelves for storing fabrics and a thrift store dresser from Salvation Army. The dresser had three pull out drawers in the middle, perfect for storing thread cones for the LA machine. I cleaned and polished it and changed out the drawer pulls, etc. Then the Big Board, which I had already, was placed on top. It's been a joy to use my woman cave since then. The book has excellent information on ergonomics, lighting, etc. Thanks, Lois!!!
Old 05-03-2016, 11:07 AM

Just read this little link, and thought I'd put in my two-bits. Probably the best thing I've done to improve my quilting space this year is to buy bed risers for the dining table that I use for quilting. I quilt on my domestic machine, and the height of the table now enables me to quilt standing up, which I really like. Just thought I'd throw it in here!
Old 05-10-2016, 07:22 AM

I love her book, I've read it a lot while we are building my new quilting space after a move. But my bed risers have disappeared!! DH found then, asked what they were and immediately put them under the legs on one of the sofas.
I'm not getting them back... four inches makes a big difference in the ease of exiting that sofa and we are not getting any younger (kind of ugly tho - sofa does not have a skirt.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:30 PM

Linkd -- I can sympathize with the sofa needing to be higher -- we did sit tests when we had to buy a new sofa and we paid a lot of attention to the height of the sofa and chairs. I have one of those high kitchen tables for cutting but need DSIL to cut 2 inches off of it.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:39 PM

Found this in our county library. Thanks for the recommendation.