Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
How do you store/organize your patterns? >

How do you store/organize your patterns?

How do you store/organize your patterns?

Old 03-10-2014, 03:33 PM

I bought several sets of pretty boxes when I was doing my quilt studio. I keep all my patterns in one of the larger boxes. I have a few patterns I've bought and some freebies from the web but I don't always have an acquired pattern as I'm lucky enough to be able to draw my own. These are sometimes done on graph paper which is in a book or sometimes I'll just grab a sheet of printer paper and this will go into the box too. Sometimes it may start from a doodle on the back of an old envelope. As long as the measurement all align I can usually follow it. Hope this makes sense.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:35 AM

I started with binders, that took a lot of time and wasted space.Went thru them two years later, tossed out some and needed to add some more. Found hanging folders worked better for me. Labeled lines, squares and lines, triangles and lines. triangles, triangles and sq. squares, how to's,tools. tips and more. Folders were thick so breaking it down helps to find it quicker and helps delete duplicates. when thick also split into log cabin, rail fence ect. Each folder has a half size manilla envelope to corral those small ones that don't want to stay put. I have some patterns in different arrangements or colors for inspiration. I do have a file of ones I especially want to make soon. I do tear magazines apart and anywhere else is fair game. to much work to index them or store. I do draw a lot of blocks off the internet, keep colored pencils handy. I draw onto index cards from the dollar store,keep next to computer, can store these cards in small file boxes, put in labels when start. simple to file whenever I watch TV. that is what commercials are for if can't do it during shows. Regular size Files kept in file boxes with handles, easy to move or carry.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:36 AM

I Keep the quilt patterns in a 5" quilted binder with plastic folders & alphabetic order, if I have double copies of a pattern or a pattern of etc. items they go into a portable carry file case. I also have photo binders for table runners, table toppers & bed runners. Another binder for Photo of quilt blocks/quilts. Another binders for all items I have made and gave away. I try to get the person who received it also in the photo if possible. Some times I have them take a pic and send to me. Oh and yes a seperate Christmas/holiday binder with pic. I also have a file on my CP...more in depth...
Old 03-11-2014, 10:50 AM

If you need a free source ... Girls Scout cookie boxes (the case size) fits patterns easily. You can cover with scrapbook paper or contact paper to make it prettier.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:19 PM

right now mine are like this in my ironing area. The envelope patterns are in the basket, the books and magazines are below, and the ripped out or printed off patterns are in a binder with the books and magazines. If I buy any more envelope patterns, which I don't plan to, but you never know, I will have to get a longer basket.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]466853[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ironingcenternew.jpg  
Old 03-12-2014, 03:34 PM

Sounds like most of us use binders. I have mostly patterns torn out of magazines, those go into binders. The patterns that come in the hanging bags go into a box.
I agree, just pick a system and be consistent,that's the key to being organized.
Good Luck,
cindy
Old 03-12-2014, 06:26 PM

I have a couple. I have some that are printouts and those are in a binder. Projects that I'm currently working on, or up next are in a rectangular basket, and all my sewing/quilting patterns of that size are in Ikea boxes, I think they're the DVD size, but they fit perfect and I can stack them.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:22 AM

I use a--- 2 drawer file cabinet 1 drawer for quilting patterns and the other for sewing/clothing patterns. This way, it forces me to go through them and weed out when I buy new.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:47 PM

I keep my those cute patterns in plastic sleeves in a box.. grouped together with others like them as well as possible.. but I thinking that I could make a photo copy of the picture and supply list and keep that sheet in a 3 ring notebook.. Then when I wanted to look for a pattern I could simply look through my book instead of the box. Perhaps I should alphabetize them to make it easy to find them... Thanks for posting a thread that made me think of my own mess and how to make it more workable~