Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
How do you store your Accuquilt Dies? >

How do you store your Accuquilt Dies?

How do you store your Accuquilt Dies?

Old 12-30-2016, 01:38 PM

Default How do you store your Accuquilt Dies?

DH gifted me several large cutting dies for my GO Big. How can I store them without buying the wire grids from Accuquilt? They look very flimsy to me and also I have no place to put them!
Right now I have them laid flat - foamside up - on top of totes of scraps under my cutting table. My little ones are on a wire file sorter.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:50 PM

That is what I use....a strong wire file sorter.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:07 PM

I use a strong wire file sorter too.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:42 PM

I bought the sorter from Accuquilt and it is not flimsy at all. And my daughter gave me one that she had from her home office she was no longer using. I have them side by side so the long dies are supported at both ends. From what I read the dies are not suppose to be stored flat, not sure why.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I bought the sorter from Accuquilt and it is not flimsy at all. And my daughter gave me one that she had from her home office she was no longer using. I have them side by side so the long dies are supported at both ends. From what I read the dies are not suppose to be stored flat, not sure why.
I agree, not flimsy at all. I like the idea of two together but mine is under my sewing machine table and there isn't enough room.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:08 AM

From what I understand the dies are not supposed to be stored flat and stacked on top of each other because it damages the metal cutting part.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:34 AM

I keep the smaller dies in the plastic bags they came in and hang them from a pegboard. I only have one of the longer strip dies and that one gets stored flat on the table beside my Sizzix Bigshot Pro, with nothing else on it. I also have one of the go cubes which is its own storage container.

i read something where someone had kept their long strip dies stored leaning against a wall and it got warped. I think they had it standing on end, but even so I would be worried about storing a long one in the sorter if it wasn't supported on both ends. The sorters look to me like they're designed to hold the regular sized go dies rather than the long ones.

i think the problem with storing them flat occurs if they are stacked.

Rob
Old 12-31-2016, 08:14 AM

I use the old fashion dish drainer for most of mine works great
Old 12-31-2016, 12:43 PM

I have not actually implemented this idea yet - it is still in the "percolating in my head" stage hahaha! But I am considering repurposing one of the wooden entertainment centers that had room for a tv and then cabinets and shelves on the side into fabric and die storage. I have several of the strip dies and the xl cutting tray that I think could fit in the tv area with either vertical or horizontal support shelves. I would also have room there for the few fabric on original bolts as well.
Then the cabinets and shelves could hold some of my scrap bins. Has anyone done this?
Old 12-31-2016, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
I have not actually implemented this idea yet - it is still in the "percolating in my head" stage hahaha! But I am considering repurposing one of the wooden entertainment centers that had room for a tv and then cabinets and shelves on the side into fabric and die storage. I have several of the strip dies and the xl cutting tray that I think could fit in the tv area with either vertical or horizontal support shelves. I would also have room there for the few fabric on original bolts as well.
Then the cabinets and shelves could hold some of my scrap bins. Has anyone done this?
I haven't done that, but I bought a kitchen cart and I am using that for my Studio cutter and storing the Go size dies in the cart. I also have some of the Accuquilt racks as well.