Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
How do you store your fabric stash? >

How do you store your fabric stash?

How do you store your fabric stash?

Old 07-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

I have 3 sets of plastic shelving. DH put wooden inserts he made in the center of each shelf, bc they do NOT hold the amount of weight they said when I bought them.
I have them lined up, pushed together in one corner and have sliders under the center one, so that is the only one that I have to pull out to see ALL the shelves and it saves room.
I have some other, ahem, fabrics too
Old 07-21-2012, 04:02 PM

Love all the fabric! I have old jars on top too. I have old buttons, ribbon, zippers, wooden spools, etc,....
Old 07-21-2012, 04:32 PM

I just ruler fold. If you fold tightly enough, it works beautifully. I am still working on a system for the scraps. I would recommend saving your $$ for more fabric instead.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:54 PM

i would love all that fabric myself. i have a little here and there i just buy for the project i'm working on. and have a few projects unfinished. need to get them done.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:47 PM

I have 3 white bookcases that I purchased at Target. They each have 5 shelves that are adjustable. I used to ruler fold my fabrics and it just got to be a jumbled mess! I put almost all of my fabrics 1 yd - 3 yds on foam core boards I cut either 5" X 12" or 6" X 12". Anything that is over 3 yards is still ruler folded until I come up with a better solution. These I placed on the lowest shelves of 2 of the bookcases. Anything 1/2" yard or smaller, including fat quarters is folded and put into a plastic 6 drawer unit on wheels. I put all my precuts on one shelf. My solid whites, creams and blacks on the same shelf. The next shelf holds all my solids and striped fabrics. All my batiks are on one shelf together and the same with all my holiday fabrics. Then I just placed the remaining fabrics on the remaining shelves using Roy G. Biv! I still have about 3 tubs of fabric that I am still deciding what I will do with it.
Attached Thumbnails 102_3241.jpg   102_3242.jpg  
Old 07-21-2012, 06:36 PM

I have a tall 7 drawer dresser in which my entire stash is stuffed. And, I mean stuffed! Someday (maybe when I retire) I will organize it.

I've been quilting for almost 30 years, not much of a stash really.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:59 PM

Wow!! those are some neat stashes.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:10 AM

I have most of mine ruler folded on shelves in my closet, One large tote with all holiday fabrics, another tote with scraps of all sizes, and another container with fat qtrs. Ain't postin pics today anyway.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:03 AM

My 1-? yardage is on mini bolts (foam boards from the $ store I cut myself) under 1 yard is ruler folded. If it is to small for ruler fold it is considered a large scrap, neatly folded amd stored with my FQ if it is not WOF It is sub cut and stored in baskets by size 1, 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2, 3, 3 1/2, ect. strips, I will then cut the asorted length strips into squares as I need them, All my fabric is stored in an old china hutch, and 2 cabnets with doors that my DH made for me. Sorted by color, thyem or holiday My hutch has pretty gift wrap on the inside of the glass to keep out the sunlight. I hate bags and tots for my fabric! LOL Tryed it but could never find anything, and always having to move them just killed my back.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:03 AM

Mine are stored in 6 1/2 foot cabinets and i have 8 cabinets, my cutting table is made with 6 smaller kitchen cabinets under it and i still have fabric in totes, in bags and closets, and only God knows where else. It would take me the rest of my life to put on foam boards. I have way too much fabric. I started out washing and ironing many years ago, but never finished, so thats how i stored my fabric, then by holiday and then by color.