Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Ideas on notions organization PLEASE! >

Ideas on notions organization PLEASE!

Ideas on notions organization PLEASE!

Old 06-22-2014, 06:17 PM

I have a craftsman tool chest that holds all my gismos. It is on wheels and can be rolled to wherever I need it. I got it at an ALCO store on sale and it was only 79$. Came in two pieces so was easy to transport home in my car trunk.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 AM

If you want to find something that is lost just buy another one. For some reason the lost one always turns up shortly after you bring the new one home.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:36 AM

Default Sewing tools organization

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
I have a craftsman tool chest that holds all my gismos. It is on wheels and can be rolled to wherever I need it. I got it at an ALCO store on sale and it was only 79$. Came in two pieces so was easy to transport home in my car trunk.
I have been fortunate to have a roll about Craftsman shallow drawer cart for ten years. The roll of heavy duty rubber gripper mat stays on the bottom of each drawer. Usually, I can see every item when I pull out the drawer. Items stored include cutting (scissors, rotary cutters, blades);sewing items in open top containers (hand and machine needles, kits, thimbles, threaders, pins, clips, thread wax, etc.); notions (velcro, seam binding, zippers, labels, etc.) grouped in heavy duty plastic bags;boxes of plastic bags of varying size.

My favorite tip is using 3 or more cloth pencil cases with the vinyl window, zipper, and eyelets to fit a three ring binder. These pencil cases hold marking pencils, pencil sharpener, pens, etc. This is stored in a deeper drawer with some specialty rulers. Directions for specialty rulers are all in a plastic legal size envelope.

Yes, I like transparent containers for my items! Bamboo cutlery box at each work station contain empty bobbins, scissors, ruler, extra machine feet, package of needles, screwdriver, seam ripper, and pincushion. These boxes slide under the plastic sewing table attached to each of my machines.

The hardest trick is teaching the sewer/artist to put things away when finished at the end of each day......

Old 06-24-2014, 03:08 AM

Thanks for all the ideas on organizing the small stuff.....I can now conquer MY Mt. Everest!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Once I clean and reorganize, I can't find anything!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:08 AM

I have all my long arm supplies on a shelf and in drawers near my frame. I have all my rulers near my cutting table, thread in a box near my most used machine, fabric (well fabric is everywhere). When sewing, I wear a 3 pocket apron my hubby found in the woods and I cleaned up that I wear. One of the pockets a sewed into smaller pockets and slide my scissors, seam ripper and lint brush in. The middle pocket I keep my screw driver, disappearing pen, and other items in. The left pocket I use to hold threads and things that will be thrown away. This keeps all my frequently used items close at hand no matter where I am sewing.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Am laid up with broken 5th metatarsal (pinky toe long bone). So made myself a list of things to do and this is one of them. Organize my sewing room. Thought we were going move but delayed again. Anyway, I will be in my room with foot propped up organizing. Still will pack some items though andonly keep out what I really need.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:36 AM

I use clear tote boxes from the dollar store to store my supplies on shelves over my sewing area. I label them and can easily find what I am looking for. I also have a 4 x 6 pegboard to the side of my machine where I hang my most-often used tools.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

*hint*
for all the labeling ........ painters tape.

I have it handy for all sorts of purposes in the sewing room.
Using it for labels is perfect, as it will peel off when you want to change labels.
Whereas the adhesive labels will not.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:48 AM

You could take shoe holders you hand over doors that are see through,you can hang them on walls not just over doors.
If you sew in a bed room,you can use the closet by putting in shelves.I took my sliding doors off to put shelves up I have
5 shelves the width of closet and store my fabric and notions in plastic containers.I hung a shower curtain up that slides open to retrieve things,it keeps the dust off fabric. I also took a bucket i bought at lowes and put a mans utility holder in it because it has all those little pockets to put stuff.I can carry it places and leave it next to sewing machine to get supply's I need at hand.