Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
I'm starting to feel self induced pressure to sort and organize! >

I'm starting to feel self induced pressure to sort and organize!

I'm starting to feel self induced pressure to sort and organize!

Old 08-08-2016, 05:47 PM

well I moved sort of... when i moved my sewing stuff from an 8x10 room into a 12 x 14 spare bedroom with 2 large closets. Installed 4- 6 ft shelves in each closet. Refolded all fabrics.
*flannels stayed together.
*then backings
*novelty/children
*30's
*ethnic/animal prints
*solids
*all other by color
*of course UFO's in own container/bag
**I have all of my quilts to be quilted hanging in a separate empty closet

I did find fabric that I knew I would never use..gave it to 4H.
need to do this again...have too much fabric and am not getting any younger...am 75..

Since I Long arm I have clients come into the sewing room often so It stays pretty clean.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:01 AM

We, too, are downsizing this year to sell our house in the Spring. My husband is selling most of the big pieces this Sept. (Shriek!!) So, like it or not, I am having to destash my studio. Health conditions prohibit my sitting to sew or standing to cut. I learned something about myself in the process: I am finding lots of unfinished projects!! I have found lots of beginnings of quilts--10 blocks of this one, 15 blocks of this one, a pattern for applique with the pieces cut but not even begun! My friends and charities are going to be very happy. My machines are going to grand girls, except for my FW. She goes with me to keep with the mending that always seems to need doing.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:10 AM

I feel tired just looking at my stash/mess in the basement. Would like to get a dumpster and start over
Old 08-09-2016, 09:21 AM

I just finished organizing my sewing fabric. I ordered the Fabric Organizers from PaperPieces.com and I love them. I only ordered 50 of them and decided to use those to fold my fabric that is at least 1 yard. Then fabric that is less than 1 yard, I used a folding template that's about the size fat quarters are folded. I used up all my Fabric Organizers (yikes...that helps me understand that I have lots of fabric) and I just pulled out the template for the smaller folds and stacked them. I put the smaller folds into a plastic bag with holes punched in them. The plastic helps keep them nice and tidy and the holes hopefully keep the fabric breathing. Anyway, I took the plunge and anything that is less than 2" in width was cut up and thrown into the bin for dog bed stuffing. Then, I have little plastic bins for 2", 3", 4" and put those scraps in them. Larger pieces were put in plastic bins and I numbered the bins and labeled them. Also put a sheet together of what's in each bin (easier to look thru the list than pull the bins out). I actually found an empty bin in the spare bedroom that I was able to use.....yippee! It was not empty any longer. No matter how much time you devote to this process...it truly is rewarding. Just being able to refold the fabrics and admire them all over again...it was like a mini-shopping spree! I usually put them in categories like:
- flannel - fleece - colors - collections (Moda Autum Lily, Children's Goodnight Moon,
Downton Abbey, etc.).

Just don't get discouraged....for a little while...it will look like a grenade exploded in your room.......make stacks, pull out your bins, keep the vacuum handl, etc. Once you are done...it looks GREAT and you feel sooooooooo organized!
flannel
mini
Old 08-09-2016, 04:05 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions and understanding. I haven't been able to work on it for two days due to other obligations. We were going to do something out of town tomorrow and I told the hubby that I'd rather work on the stuff instead. He's going to do a thrift shop drop off for me mid-day. I've started a box for the ladies I sew with. Progress is being made. It may not look like it but it is.
We will be spending each year in both places. That's why I really want to get this organizing done so that I'll have what I need in the right place when I need it.
I love the idea of using ziplocks too in addition to everything else.
Thursday's temperature here is supposed to be 95 degrees so that will be more motivation to work efficiently tomorrow. I know I won't be too eager then!
Thanks again!
Old 08-14-2016, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

I am blessed with a sewing studio in a building separated from my home. I just shut the door and go home. No one sees my mess...
Old 08-14-2016, 04:11 PM

A separate building? That's part of my daydream for up here in Maine. But it's probably not practical.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:39 PM

Only advise I have to clean and organize is to do it the same way you eat an elephant, one bite at a time.....Good luck, each step is rewarding.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I organized my sewing room last year. Couldn't find anything. It is now a mess again and the door is shut if anyone visits, but I know where everything is!!!
Good luck with the organizing. Moving is a huge pain.
You're a woman after my own heart Every time I reorganize I can't find a thing to weeks. I lost a big button that I wanted for a project for a year. By the time I found it, I had already bought another for the project.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:27 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

We need a "like" button! Lol so many helpful tips! I have been gone for almost a year. Had to go back to work and things were a bit overwhelming. But I really missed the sewing and the chats, support and helpful experience I find here. I have so many projects started also. 6 quilt tops done just can't get em sandwiched and done. Sigh. That's my goal by the holidays so I can start the new year with fresh fun projects. Good on you for donating the fabrics to 4H club! I love seeing the projects at fairs in our area.