Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ingenious ways to store thread - got any? :)

Blog Entries
    Great idea, Toni!!! Mine keep falling out of the bobbin box (or I opened it the wrong way!). Then I have thread everywhere!!

I only have 5 bobbins. I wind them when I need them.

I keep my bobbins in an old Altoids mints tin.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

I store mine separately. The spools are standing in little organizor baskets by color. The bobbins of regular sewing thread are in the organizers tha Nancys Notions sold- like 3 tubes together. Bobbins snap in, stored by color and ina basket. Embroidery bobbins are in a bobbin box as are my quilting bobbins. Emb. Threads and quilting threads are stored in separate places in my pattern file cabinet's top drawers. I also write a "Q" on my quilting bobbins with a Sharpie so I don't get them mixed up. The same with my embroidery bobbin thread.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

I have three kinds of bobbins for my three machines, my Janome, my Featherweight, and my Sweet Sixteen which complicates this problem. I love Toni's idea and am going to see if that would hold the different sizes. My stuff never seems organized no matter how I try to create systems.

Since I piece with Aurifil I wind 5 or more bobbins of the same color and keep them in an empty rx pill bottle. Each pill bottle contains a different color, tan, black, white, etc. The other not basic piecing colors go in one of those donut bobbin holders.

My Gammill bobbins are another problem...I wind the colored thread of those bobbins and if I don't use it all I store them with their cone thread on a moveable 2 side pegboard set up my dh made.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.

I have a cupboard that was made with 1x4 that has shelves and doors. Keeps the light off the thread. I have also seen a bathroom cupboard ( the one with the three mirrored doors} Would make a great place to store thread and cones.

Someone just gave me a spice rack that hangs on the back of a door - I'm using that to store my embroidery thread. I don't use it for embroidery, I use it for quilting, so I don't usually have corresponding bobbins. Seems to work great so far...
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

You can use the spine of an old book cut into strips to put bobbins in; the spiral kind, but need to get the right size for bobbins. I bought some soft baby ponytail bands at $$$$ store and put them around filled bobbins and that works good, too. Hope this helps. Oh and some of the catalogs have self stick tape to use for this, but I think its a little too much for too little.

delma

Sis
    Born a SE Ohio Buckeye,now a Middle Tennessee Volunteer
    I use those blue or white thingys that fit in the top of the thread spool to keep my bobbin and spool of thread together. A reinforcement circle used for notebook paper holes is used on the top of my bobbin to hold the thread end and keep it from unwinding. This would work in a bobbin box/holder, also. I like the idea of having the exact bobbin with my spool as some of my threads are so close in shade/color.
    God never closes a door without opening a window.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast