Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Just finished cataloging >

Just finished cataloging

Just finished cataloging

Old 03-03-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
I catalog all fabric and notion purchases, but have never, ever, ever totaled them. I don't have a heart condition, but I call not totaling preventitive medicine, lol!
I have a list of my quilt book but not my patterns - never thought to inventory my notions - might have ago at my templates - I am still trying to set up my sewing room -but all I seem to do when I get into it, is move stuff from one side of the room to the other - UGH
Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 PM

My sewing room is such a mess. I had moved some of the stuff into our guest room with good intentions (which pave the way to you know where) to organize it. Eldest son graduated from college in mid December and I ran around the house cleaning before my MIL arrived. My youngest son was picking her up and said that no was hungry so they'd be home within the hour!!!! I literally heaved the stuff from the guest room into my sewing room. The pile is now almost as tall as I am. The door was shut and unless she peeked, it was out of site. So now I have a small path to get to my sewing area. Maybe your wonderful job of cataloging will encourage me to tame the beast living in that room.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:49 AM

Years ago I took a City and Guilds course on P & Q and to organise all the examples we had to make I started using hard backed ring binders. Since then I have added to these and as they are each designated for quilting; patchwork; applique' and miscellaneous it has helped enormously. I teach classes and run two groups and so can usually find a pattern for anyone. In fact they all know my usual reaction to a new pattern is "Can I have a copy".
Old 03-04-2012, 04:39 AM

I need a better way to organize my clippings. So today, I am going to start piles with various categories and hope that I can get rid of some of them.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:28 AM

oh wow! I can't even imagine. Mine are heading out the door. I have a stack of Quilting Books going to the library sometime this week.1. I figured out most of what I am doing now doesn't require patterns out of books. 2.I can always go online to get something if I need it.3. I no longer make things from templates and if I need one I make it out of cardboard because more than likely I will never use it again.
I still have a bunch of magazines I have to figure out what to do with.
The only thing I am working on is clearing up my scraps. I wrapped 1/2 yards and bigger, folded fat quarters. Everything else is being cut from the largest size I can get out of it (fat quarters) to the smallest I want.. 3 inch squares and strips if the pieces are long, 2.5 - 1 inch.
I am not going to live long enough to use everything I have. I want to simplify my life as much as possible.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 AM

I had tons of quilting magazines, and books. Well, they took up alot of room, so I did go through them one at a time and the patterns that I really liked I tore out of the magazines and I put them in page protectors and then I put them in binders. With sections as log cabins, pinwheels, baby, etc.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JUNEC View Post
I have a list of my quilt book but not my patterns - never thought to inventory my notions - might have ago at my templates - I am still trying to set up my sewing room -but all I seem to do when I get into it, is move stuff from one side of the room to the other - UGH
I am moving into another room in the house and woo hoo, I should be more productive. Might even downsize on some things eventually, so i know exactly what you mean about just moving stuff around
Old 03-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

- ...tame the beast living in that room,...roflmbo!!! I guess there's a huge beast in my "old" room, but it's not all moving into the new one. Guess I'm going to dissect the beast
Old 03-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I need a better way to organize my clippings. So today, I am going to start piles with various categories and hope that I can get rid of some of them.
we are diehards, sweetnana! I have notebooks full of clippings too.
I used to tape them to pages and put in notebooks, and accumulated so many, I just started dropping them into envelopes for future posting/pasting/taping.
Time to get to 'dumping'.
I have a saying: the stuff you accumulate takes tending to...or something like that.
I'm tired of tending to so much. Just think of all the hours we spent doing stuff like that, we could have been sewing...but it was fun at the time
Old 03-05-2012, 07:02 PM

I thought I had a lot of quilt books and patterns. I have a spreadsheet for my books and patterns that I started several years ago. I'll have to admit that I haven't updated it for quite a while. I have good intentions, but I would rather quilt. Some day I will update it---not today. LOL