Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Kitchen cabinets in the sewing room >

Kitchen cabinets in the sewing room

Kitchen cabinets in the sewing room

Old 06-17-2014, 04:49 AM

I have an 16' x 32'area on the top level of a barn style garage with very sloping side/ceiling. I can only have base cabinets in the area so I have 28' of base cabinets with drawers and two with shelves. I have folded my fabric and labeled the drawers with the colors, so I have lots of space. I use one of the shelf areas for my fabric for my backings and for my extra threads. The other I have used to place my FQs in long trays along with odds and ends like starch cans, batting, etc. The slanted walls on the other side of the room I have used to hang all my threads so I can see them easily and the sun does not get them. I have my L shaped desk under the window for the machines and my computer. It works well for me. The center of the room is for my cutting table, big top ironing board, and my long arm HQ Avante. Hope you enjoy yours when you are done.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:52 AM

When we built our house 22 years ago, I put cabinets in my utility room. The lower cabinet have pull outs instead of shelves. Works well for fat quarter storage as well as pre cuts. I also had an island made that looks like lower cabinets. It can be pulled out to the center of the room and the sides flipped up. Makes a great cutting center as you can walk all the way around it. Works well to fold laundry on too!
Old 06-17-2014, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I have upper and base cabinets in my sewing room. I have a 90" countertop. I use it for everything. It gets cluttered often, doesn't take long to clear it off. I keep machine manuals, books, interfacing, thread boxes, etc. in the uppers. Not much sewing related stuff in the base cabinets. I use the drawers for all sewing related items. Best thing I could come up with. I have two large closests with wire shelves for my fabrics, battings, etc.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:52 AM

I recently looked into kitchen cabinets for my sewing room and ended up going with the deeper (15-something inch) IKEA "Billy" bookshelves with doors instead. They were less expensive than similarly nice looking kitchen cabinets, suited my style better, and since they're flat-packed I could actually bring them home myself. My sewing room is my living room now, so appearance mattered; I was also looking at those plain white tall cupboards they have at Lowe's but the IKEA bookshelf-with-doors arrangement looks much nicer than those. (I was looking for tall cupboards, not anything with a counter top.)

In my old house, I had recycled kitchen cabinets in my craft room, upper and lower. I LOVED the counter top, but the base cabinets were too deep to really be useful when I first got them. I ended up buying slide-out trays (the kind you install so they're sort of like shallow drawers) and that made them a lot more functional for me.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:02 AM

Have him check ReStore. This is a Habitat for Humanity store with awesome building items (new and used) at wonderful prices. I see brand new cabinets in their store in my area all the time. The items are construction company pieces not used, or items from a restored home. Sure worth the trip.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:57 AM

Be sure to check out craigslist if you can; I see free base cabinets on there just about every week. And they can always be painted if you want. I did mine with four base cabinets then a gap (so I can sit on a stool) and then four more base cabinets in my garage. I love them.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:00 AM

Tell your Mr. that "Restore" was where I found my lower cabinets for next to nothing. Also check out your local freecycle yahoo group. Both have been great resources for my sewing room.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:03 AM

Wow! Great ideas!! Thanks!
sandy
Old 06-18-2014, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
Consider using upper cabinets for most of the cabinet space you have and a one or two regular base cabinets depending on the room you have. The deeper cabinets take up a lot of valuable floor space and have a tendency to get filled to the point where nothing can be found in them anyway. The upper cabinets have a narrower profile and just about anything in a sewing room that you want to store will fit in the depth of an upper cabinet without getting over stuffed with stuff.

Depending on how much room you have, maybe use regular lower cabinets in the more out of the way spots where floor space isn't lost.

The depth of the upper cabinets works great for a work space with out having to reach to far for tools.

Good luck with your room and please show us the progress.
peace
I have deep closets with shelves and I "lose" stuff all the time. Upper cabinets are not as deep and better choice.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:19 AM

If you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore near you check them. A lot of times they have new or slightly used cabinets.