Last Will anyone?

Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 AM

I haven't really considered it, but I suppose my husband would donate it all to charity. I doubt my daughter would want any of it, but if she did, he'd make sure she gets whatever she wants.

My bigger concern has been what will happen to my mother's things when she goes - she has two rooms full of quilting & sewing supplies, which are to come to me. I likely won't keep everything, but I could never let her sewing machines go. They are like a part of her - she's sewn my whole life, and many nights I went to sleep hearing the hum of her machine going deep into the night, making us clothing. If my dad goes before her, or if they go at the same time, God forbid, I will have to race my sister to their house, because she thinks everything in there is "junk" and she will toss it all.

Whatever your wishes are, put them all in writing! Don't leave it to others to determine what will happen to your treasures.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 AM

I know my hubby would pass in on to my daughter and she in turn would let me friends and guild members have what she wouldn't want. I would mamke sure you let me know where you would like it to go. I would rather my stash is donated than just tossed
Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 AM

I'm leaving my "quilters will" with instructions for my DH to let my sister and sister in law go through it first - then my one quilting friend. After that, offer it up here. You guys are my friends and I'd rather it went to the QB family than Goodwill, a Charity or a Guild since I am not a member of any group. And lets face it - you guys have served me well as critics, helpers and teachers. When it comes to my "Quilting Family" you guys are it! I will write - you pay postage, we'll fill a box - that's it! Hope when the time comes - I make many of you happy little campers.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:15 AM

My Mom has lost most of her vision and can't sew anymore, after a lifelong love affair with her sewing. I picked out what I want. My Mom is going to invite all the quilting gals over to "shop" at her place. That way Mom can see how many people will love the things that she has loved for so many years.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I don't know what that is but my dad burned all my mother's stuff too, starting as she lay there on her deathbed in the house. I think maybe he was angry she died? She was not a seamstress/quilter but it still was very painful for all of us.

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
My very best friend of 45+ years passed away a year ago and she and I have sewed and quilted constantly the whole time we have known each other. We live about 5 miles apart in the country. I did not know exactly what she wanted done with her "stash" but she did have a daughter-in-law, granddaughter and a sister and a bunch of nieces. Oh yes, she had an entire bedroom FULL of fabric on the bolts in bookcases, etc. and then a basement where she had her longarm machine, rolls of batting, and fabric.

So, imagine my shock and horror when my DH and I went over there one day and her DH said that he had spent the past two days burning her fabric, etc. I actually thought I was going to be sick. Seems he did not like her family enough to share with them. But, I was able to get some fabric in plastic totes that were in her closet - guess that he did not know that it was fabric in them or he would have burned them too. I also got her books and when I asked about any of her paper patterns, etc. he said that he guessed that he had already burnt them. Really sad.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 PM

I'm new to quilting so I don't have much in the way of supplies yet. I just joined the local Quilting guild and was told before I came to my first meeting to bring money because they were having a sale on supplies. When I got there I found out that one of the ladies had a male quilting friend who had passed away and his partner didn't sew or quilt and didnt know what to do with the stash. Sadly he needed money to pay for his partner's funeral so he gave all the items to our guild to sell to one another and the proceeds would go to expenses. I managed to get a good amount of things I needed to start my quilting career. I feel for the gentleman that lost his love and know this must be such a trying time in his life but feel good that I was able to help in some way. Sadly funerals cost so much these days and it is tough on the family members of their loved ones. I think this is a good way to go if you don't have anyone special that you wish your items to go to. It helps out other and your loved one.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:49 PM

I told my husband to call my quilt guild and explain the situation "death" and they will take care of it 100%.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

I have found homes for my magazines. I hope to de clutter my fabric next. Have way too much to enjoy. I am ready to let go of some stuff. Am finding things that I had forgotten about.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 PM

My husband has always joked he would give me a Viking funeral pyre. He is being funny and knows what to really do with all the stuff. But I will make sure with a list.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 PM

quilter's Last Will is on Quiltville.com. I love it.